PDA

View Full Version : New 4890 Vapor X, know it works, display won't get signal.

AndrewL1950
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
A friend of mine recently picked up a new Sapphire Vapor-X 4890. We installed it, and it picked up no signal.

After sitting around and trying to figure out the problem, we figured it could be a power issue. He has an OCZ 700Watt GamerXstreme PSU.

So we popped out his sound-card and optional Ethernet-card and it powered up and everything worked perfect. Got the signal etc..

We put them back in, once again, his monitor received no signal at all.

So we took them out, he went home. Played games with it all night, then this morning, he came over and told me when he went to boot his PC up for the day, the monitor once again does not get a signal.

This time, there are no extra's connected outside of the norm (dvd drive, fans).

We are thinking it may be his PSU, or it could be his motherboard. Which is an XFX 680I LT. Before he goes out and picks up a new power supply, we wanted a second, third or fourth opinion.

ON a side note, his card has Display Port, and HDMI, and I heard that causes issues for some people.

Stijndp
08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Try these two methods:

1) shutdown pc
2) disconnect a 6pin
3) connect it again
4) start pc

with computer on
1) disconnect a pin
2) connect it again
3) reboot it

If either make it work you'll prob have the coldboot bug. There is a bad batch out there SKU11150-05 - P/N:288-1E115-020SA. AMD/Sapphire are "hiding" it and deleting posts on their forums because there weren't many people. Don't see the reason in that but it was theirs.

AndrewL1950
08-20-2009, 12:57 PM
His PN numbers is exactly the same. Looks like an RMA or contact sapphire situation.

AndrewL1950
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
So, RMA'd it, got the new one today, exact same SKU and PN number as posted, and the same as before. Exactly the same.

Hopefully this one works.

If anyone is interested in this card, DO NOT order it from Newegg Canada. Not to mention it costs $30 to RMA the product.

dum
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
just too let you know my 700 watt gamer extreme is doing fine with my 4890 you can see my rig in the sig

Razrback16
09-04-2009, 04:24 AM
I remember reading the reviews on that card a couple days ago and a lot of those Vapor X models had that issue. I'm glad you were able to RMA. Hope your new one doesn't have the issue.

khimaera
02-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Hello, this is happening to me. I have a vapor x 4890 that worked just fine until about a week ago. My monitor is hooked to the DVI port and is functioning properly, but my tv hooked up via HDMI gives me a no signal message. Is there a fix for this bug?

Marvin
02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
I hav had the same problem here. First i switched the pci conectors ,and afterchanged PCI/PEG in bios.
may help you.