PDA

View Full Version : Dead A7N.

Lithan
11-25-2003, 08:57 AM
My A7N arrived about thirty minutes ago. I hook it up with a tbred b, a stick of hyperx, and a ti4200. Make all the connections. Turn it on and smell smoke, then it shuts down. Since this is about the thirtieth socket A board I've set up and every single part I was using except the board is thoroughly tested, I'm pretty damn sure this was a manufacturing error. Likely due to the appearance that an intoxicated six year old with screwdriver was used to cut the trace on the back.

Now I've got to eat 15$ shipping sending this ***ker across the country to get my money back. What the hell is going on there in abit country? A good plan is to test the board AFTER you mangle it to account for a last minute problem.

Holst
11-25-2003, 10:48 AM
So what smoked?

Was this trace on the back cut in the same manner as others who have recently purchased AN7.

I dont suppose anybody fancies following the trace and working out where it goes too, it looks big and thick, so id be thinking a power line, strange thing to cut (strange that its needed to be cut TBH)

Lithan
11-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Dunno. I don't see any burning... My guess is it smoked a vdimm mosfet... judging from the area of the trace that's cut.

ABIT Marketing
11-25-2003, 11:10 AM
Next time I will NOT respond your message if you are simply trying to complain and flame. Please watch your language. First of all, EVERY single board coming out from the factory has been well-tested. 2nd, it is very possible the board was not grounded properly and caused a short. I would suggest you contact your vendor and replace the board if it's defective.

JBELL
11-25-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Lithan
My A7N arrived about thirty minutes ago. I hook it up with a tbred b, a stick of hyperx, and a ti4200. Make all the connections. Turn it on and smell smoke, then it shuts down. Since this is about the thirtieth socket A board I've set up and every single part I was using except the board is thoroughly tested, I'm pretty damn sure this was a manufacturing error. Likely due to the appearance that an intoxicated six year old with screwdriver was used to cut the trace on the back.

Now I've got to eat 15$ shipping sending this ***ker across the country to get my money back. What the hell is going on there in abit country? A good plan is to test the board AFTER you mangle it to account for a last minute problem.

lith... I see a disturbing pattern in your posts.. watch the language... flaming is NOT tolerated on any level!

wierdAl
12-03-2003, 02:55 PM
abit marketing:
so what's the story on the AN7? was it or is it a rushed product? i belve you that you test the boards and that they work but the things we have been seeing on these boards, i just don't know?

and just for the record i'm an abit fan... the first bord i bought was a abit and i havent had any bad experiences with abit boards...(except a bios corruption but that's nvidas fault)

Lithan
12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
That was in no way flaming, Jbell. I had a board smoke out on me and as much as they'd like to believe, it was no fault of mine. Had any of my hardware been damaged by this, would abit be sending me a check? You know as well as I do that they wouldn't. They put MY PROPERTY at risk so that they could get an unfinished product out the door. I have every right to be upset. And I certainly believe I have the right to answers... something that I have yet to see. I've spent well over five-hundred dollars on abit products. I know that abit isn't a two bit operation run out of someone's garage. When you buy a brand new, retail board from a name like abit, or asus, or even gigabyte you expect a certain standard of quality; a standard which my AN7 did not meet, and I want to know why.

ABIT Marketing
12-04-2003, 03:47 PM
There is nothing wrong with the AN7, please just ignore the cut trace in the back. We will continue to provide BIOS update and overclocking ability is our top priority right now. I totally understand a lot of users are expecting the AN7 as the next step up of the NF7-S v2.0 and it SHOULD provide greater overclocking ability. The AN7 is still a great board which offers higher voltage settings and I am sorry some of you are not totally satisfied with the board because it didn't meet your expectations. I will continue provide feedback that I gathered in this forum back to our engineers in Taiwan so that we can improve AN7 in the future.

CrashOv3r1De
12-04-2003, 04:46 PM
I agree with the abit support there is a good chance that you could of short circuted or static shocked the board.

Did you ground yourself and where did you test the board (in the case or just on the desk)?

Lithan
12-04-2003, 08:36 PM
I grounded myself on the PSU and had the board on a removable motherboard tray also grounded via a connection to the PSU.

I'm really tired of companies harboring defective products under the shield of user error. I did not damage the board. It was dead on arrival. I've worked with enough hardware to know the difference.

Luising
01-19-2005, 02:48 PM
i think this is kind of late but i just replaced for the 3rd time an an7 at comp usa and belive me it was the motherboard the first one did not want to boot to windows the second wow the second just dont boot and the 3rd and final (there were any more left at comp usa ) worked.. is this quality or what still i love the overclock i can Achieve on my abit us to have a7n8x dlx

Wicked Klown
01-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I had an AN7 and loved it as it was my first Abit board. However I recommended it to a friend over in England and he bought one. Took it home hooked everything up and 30 minutes later it was dead. Seems there was no thermal grease under the northbridge heatsink. Don't get me wrong not trying to tick anyone off, but why not put some form of thermal grease on there.