PDA

View Full Version : INFRNL's numbers

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Looking at INFRNL's numbers I am think maybe I will go 275 for my next card.

My 260 (216) does 2 WUs a day and 3 WUs every 2 - 3 days. 19 in 7 days. INFRLN's 275 does 4 - 6 a day. Mikeb12 and 123bob 260's show more 3 WU days than mine. My 260 is not OCed and I do play a MMO several hour most nights. So it is kinda hard to compare but I kinda doubt a OC will help as much as no game. Not going to stop playing LOTRO yet and was planing on another 260 soon and another 260 later. Now thinking a 275 looks pretty good.

I dunno, I can get another 260 (216) re-certified for $129 and the 275 new is 100$ more. Be nice to find a 275 re-certified. My 260 (192) likes F@H and I think it will stay there. Would like to do more for GPUGrid and I like the idea of 1 260 and 1 275 compared to 3 260's on GPUGrid.

I think too much. My grandson asked why all my hair was on my face and not the top of my head. "Heat my boy, thinking generates heat".:rofl:

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 01:42 AM
I upped the clock and shaders on it to 700/1500 and heat went up 1c. Kinda surprised but fan is at 72%. We'll see how it does.

DAK1640
08-16-2009, 02:21 AM
Either 260 or 275 is a great card for GPUGRID or F@H. I would NEVER allow DC project to dictate how I use the compy. Play your games!!!:up:

shadowwind
08-16-2009, 03:39 AM
enjoy your game poppa , i like playing world of warcraft im playing on my daughter account she wanted a shadow priest so im building her one i got her priest in karra right now so im waiting for the others members to come i got a funny feeling im going to get ganked seeing im the only horde player up here. 260s or 275s are good cards so its up to you.
i got 2 of those re certified 260s for 129 monday and got them at the house thursday nice cards for tri sli .

DAK1640
08-16-2009, 06:12 AM
More than 1/2 my farm is re-cert's...:rofl:

Plan.B
08-16-2009, 07:17 AM
so 2 cards in sli can crunch gpugrid, with no problems and double the output of a single card? been looking at a second recertified gtx280 from NE...

shadowwind
08-16-2009, 07:53 AM
yes but sli isnt needed just pop in the card extend the the lcd i got 2 plugs on my lcd so i plug them both in and it is good to go:up: i use sli on my gaming rig/tv/ cakewalk for recording some tracks from my guitar it helps me leave the setting alone on the other rigs that is crunching.:D

Gamekiller
08-16-2009, 12:36 PM
No need for extending anything with the new drivers. Not sure if there's still problems with them or not though.

@Poppa, I beta tested that games ages ago.. seemed like a good games.

@shadow, i have a WoW account.. i dont play but once or so a month now days.. i have some decent characters =p

oh almost forgot... someone said that core helps gpugrid the most... so up that core and use atitool to see if you get artifacts.. then run a few wu's to see if they error. just dont OC in the middle of a running WU.. im sure you know that already though

good luck :D

Kondik
08-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Wait wait , you can leave the SLI on and GPUGRID will work ?

shadowwind
08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
my daugther is on steamweedle i had my kids start on the rp server its more family orientated guild wise the guy i sold my account to deleted old shadowwind he didnt know how to play a shadow priest wish i didn't sell that account now my shadow priest and hunter almost had all there orange epic gear and they had all season 3 arena gear i might start a new account or im thinking of it might be fun to gank old friends and let them know who i am after i AOE their butts:rofl:

shadowwind
08-16-2009, 02:35 PM
i haven't seen any one complaining to much about sli on the gpugrid so it must be ok kondik hook the bridge up and give it a try.

Chumbucket843
08-16-2009, 02:54 PM
oh almost forgot... someone said that core helps gpugrid the most... so up that core and use atitool to see if you get artifacts.. then run a few wu's to see if they error. just dont OC in the middle of a running WU.. im sure you know that already though

good luck :D

that sounds like a load of bologna to me all of the processing is from the shaders.but the memory clock will help a lot and the more memory on the card the better because it acts like a cache from the main memory. i have been reading the CUDA SDK.:D

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
that sounds like a load of bologna to me all of the processing is from the shaders.but the memory clock will help a lot and the more memory on the card the better because it acts like a cache from the main memory. i have been reading the CUDA SDK.:D

I dunno I have not benched it but I have seen it said in the GPUGrid forums that Gamekiller is right. Someone did bench it and said clocks matter.

Gamekiller
08-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Wait wait , you can leave the SLI on and GPUGRID will work ? Works for my gtx 295 with the 190.38 drivers.. but I believe Poppageek or someone said the drivers have problems with the 260 cards or the 275s.. I forget which. You should ask him.

my daugther is on steamweedle i had my kids start on the rp server its more family orientated guild wise the guy i sold my account to deleted old shadowwind he didnt know how to play a shadow priest wish i didn't sell that account now my shadow priest and hunter almost had all there orange epic gear and they had all season 3 arena gear i might start a new account or im thinking of it might be fun to gank old friends and let them know who i am after i AOE their butts:rofl:
Use some punctuation please. :p: Orange colored naming of gear indicates that it's a legendary item, one step about purple which is epic quality. :)
I have a Human Warrior on Mal'Ganis named Halothree. He's my favorite I guess. He doesn't have any new stuff because I haven't played in a while.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Halothree

i haven't seen any one complaining to much about sli on the gpugrid so it must be ok kondik hook the bridge up and give it a try. It's soo much easier than turning sli off and using dummies or extending desktops.

Hey, sorry I don't know.. it's just what I heard around here. I'm #4 in today production with a single gtx 295 with a high core clock.. :D

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2102/piepieyellowpie.gif

shadowwind
08-16-2009, 03:08 PM
I dunno I have not benched it but I have seen it said in the GPUGrid forums that Gamekiller is right. Someone did bench it and said clocks matter.

yup i seen the post all so on the gpugrid 260 oced 646/1026/1420 it seems to be doing ok but i haven't really pushed it, i think mikes oced 260 is higher than mine.

Gamekiller
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm at 684/1458/1188 core/shader/mem on my gtx 295. I could probably do better on water + higher voltages.

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 04:01 PM
mine is 694/1512/1053 and has completed 2 WUs. Temp is about same as it was.

Kondik
08-16-2009, 04:26 PM
It's soo much easier than turning sli off and using dummies or extending desktops.

I'm running on Win 7's , no Dummies needed, even F@H worked allright, I just had to switch SLI on and Off in nvidia control panel.

But I have yet to test the GPUGRID with SLI activated , wonder what will I get cept a big fat Computating Error :hehe:

Will keep you posted

shadowwind
08-16-2009, 04:27 PM
i guess im going to need to push it some more. i got a gts 250 in the second pci-e that is maxed out so you can mix shaders on the gpu grid, just cant do it on F@H.:up:

Kondik
08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
If I wasn't lazy I'd mount the Thermalrights custom heatsings on the GTX's and that would be tasty, however I'd have to figure out which card would have the fliped mounting and which one the standard because both with the same Cooler mounting wouldn't fit , well they would but the I's would suck hot aird from the PCB of the other one ....

I thought about a third GTX 285 , however when I requested one just for testing I noticed the middle card is choked and god damn it it was like a jet plane, couldn't stand it for 10 minutes god forbid 24/7.

nVIDIA come ON I want G300 ! hmm make that two.

Gamekiller
08-16-2009, 05:23 PM
mine is 694/1512/1053 and has completed 2 WUs. Temp is about same as it was.

Nice OC! I saw your clocks and I wondered if I might have something left in my card because I never maxed it out.

So far I'm at 702/1548/1188. No errors yet, almost 2 wu's down. :D

edit:
I needed a dummy because it wouldn't turn on the 2nd gpu without something connected to the hdmi slot.. I'm running win7 also. All in the past now though. :D

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Back to 626/1349/1053. It was LOTRO that did not like the OCd numbers.:shakes:

It's a factory OC anyway so that's fine. I'll take stability over OC.

INFRNL
08-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry for the delay fellas; I was at church half the day, went to check on my parents, then went out to eat with some old friends that are in town.

I am not sure where to find daily production at. The update though is I did get another GTX 275 for $170 I think it will be after rebate and CB. Although right now you can get a GTX 275 through Tigerdirect for approx $150-160 and possibly less depending on which one you get. TD CB is @ 12.5%, rebates typically $20-30 and right now if you spend $200 @ TD you get $20 CB from paypal on top of bing CB, but I think it only works once. So I think I am going to get another GTX 275.

Right now with the CB and rebate deals the GTX 275 is a better deal than the GTX 260's. I will be more than happy to pay $20-30 more for at least 2k ppd more production and a stronger cards if you want to game, but GTX 260 is still a great card too.

My last card I got this past week was a BFG, couldnt resist as its a little cheaper than the evga and has same warranty/tradeup deal.

I am not sure what my stats are showing and I do not know if I need to make changes, but If you follow me between here and F@H section; I pulled anoth 3 cards from F@H to GPUGrid. I am currently running 6 GTX 275's for this team, 1GTX275 and a 9800gt for F@H.

I have 1 rig running a single card, 1 rig running 2 cards, and another rig running 3 cards; However I am worried about the 3 card rig as the 3rd slot is only 4x. Should I move it to the rig only running 1 card?
I have a foxconn bloodrage which maxes w/2 dual slot gpus, both@16x, biostar which has 16/16/4x, and a gigabyte UD4P which has 16/16/8x.
GPU grid is showing my single card at near 20k ppd and has been running for a little less than a month; never gets used, just fold/crunches.
dual card rig has been running for just over a month and shows rac @ just over 35k for both cards which is 17.5k, but increases slowly each day; getting closer to the 20k mark. so I might be losing production on second card like F@H, not sure, but this is my main rig; so production may slow down a little while on it.

Rig with 3 cards needs to rebuild itself to get more accurate ppd reading; would like to know the production for each rig on a daily basis though, just as you can see on WCG.

not sure if I left anything out or not, but this should cover it. I am currently working on trying to build another cheap I7 rig so I can help distribute the cards I have to try and maximize my production along with adding to my WCG status.

@PG; I accepted your invitation, but not sure how it all works.

Gamekiller
08-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Usually factory OC'd cards are binned higher I thought. Hmm.. LOTRO showed artifacts?

Well everything isn't good on my front either. I had to lower the shaders.. had a WU error out at like 98% c_c. if it happens again I'll lower the core.

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 07:23 PM
From everything I have seen GPUGrid does not tax a system very much, at least nothing like F@H. I wonder if a 4x slot would matter? I suspect not as that is data transfer and since it is not 3D graphics but data it might not be that much.

It will probably be Oct before I get another card. It is driving me nuts. I want to expand but my space sits at 79-80 degrees now as it is. I really do not know if I can do another GPU right now. If I put the 260 (192) on one of the linux opteron boxes and put it in the other room it might be ok but my space just is not that big an area so I still will have the heat. I dunno. We'll see what happens.

Patience is for Saints, I ain't a Saint!

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Usually factory OC'd cards are binned higher I thought. Hmm.. LOTRO showed artifacts?

Well everything isn't good on my front either. I had to lower the shaders.. had a WU error out at like 98% c_c. if it happens again I'll lower the core.

Driver reset and game crashed. It did that once under OCCT GPU test. I ran FurMark, OCCT and GPUGrid all at once and it was fine. So thought it would be ok. But since it happened just once I thought it would be ok so lowered one notch and did 2 WUs.

No matter. 150mz isn't going to be that big a deal.
OK it is but I am making me feel better.:rofl:

Gamekiller
08-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Something I do to keep my room temp down is to disperse the heat with a series of fans. I just make sure the air is moving around the room nicely. It doesn't take a super loud fan or anything, just a few quiet ones.

Something else I did was turn my Ultra Kaze on the back of my case to blow air into the case. Fresh air right on top of the cpu area helps... it also gets some cool air around the gpu. I also added a 250mm fan to blow on the gpu although it doesn't push much air. =p

INFRNL
08-16-2009, 08:29 PM
From everything I have seen GPUGrid does not tax a system very much, at least nothing like F@H. I wonder if a 4x slot would matter? I suspect not as that is data transfer and since it is not 3D graphics but data it might not be that much.

Patience is for Saints, I ain't a Saint!

I am not a Saint then either as I have 0 patience as you may have noticed. I have added alot of gpus, and a few rigs in the past couple/few months.

I would really like to know as well how the different slots affect gpugrid. I think a wise man once told me that it didnt matter.

I am sure there is some kind of tax on multi-gpu's as we know there is on F@H; hopefully its less; seems to be going off my #'s

Its still all worth it in the end.

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
hmmm well if the 3rd slot does slow things down then maybe that is where ya put a cheaper lower output card. Open box 8800GT or re-certified 9800....

PoppaGeek
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I am not sure where to find daily production at. (http://www.gpugrid.net/hosts_user.php?userid=29800) The update though is I did get another GTX 275 for $170 I think it will be after rebate and CB. Although right now you can get a GTX 275 through Tigerdirect for approx $150-160 and possibly less depending on which one you get. TD CB is @ 12.5%, rebates typically $20-30 and right now if you spend $200 @ TD you get $20 CB from paypal on top of bing CB, but I think it only works once. So I think I am going to get another GTX 275.

Rig with 3 cards needs to rebuild itself to get more accurate ppd reading; would like to know the production for each rig on a daily basis though, just as you can see on WCG.

Click on Tasks in left column to see each WU by day.

Kondik
08-17-2009, 06:28 AM
It works ! I don't have to switch SLI off or on anymore Wohoooo :party:

What a relief , now F@H has to learn this.

Plan.B
08-17-2009, 06:38 AM
anybody want a used naked (no cooling) xfx 8800gtx for cheap? I have the stock cooler and all the screws saved in a box also...

Otis11
08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
hmmm well if the 3rd slot does slow things down then maybe that is where ya put a cheaper lower output card. Open box 8800GT or re-certified 9800....

So that's a quetion I had. For SLI do they have to be they same cards? I was under the impression that they did... :shrug:

INFRNL
08-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Click on Tasks in left column to see each WU by day.

that requires using my head to calculate the wu's for ea day :(

I am going to have to compare against the gtx 260 guys ;) :p:

shadowwind
08-17-2009, 04:48 PM
So that's a quetion I had. For SLI do they have to be they same cards? I was under the impression that they did... :shrug:

yup 2 cards the same for sli the third can be different i think. it wont be in sli or tri sli but it could be a pain to get it going :shrug:i will give it a try tomorrow.

PoppaGeek
08-17-2009, 04:53 PM
that requires using my head to calculate the wu's for ea day :(

I am going to have to compare against the gtx 260 guys ;) :p:

No problem I can help ya here.

1+1=2
1+2=3
2+2=4
1+3=4

I checked it all on a Ti scientific calculator so I know my calcs are accurate. If I can be of any other help let me know! :up:

:rofl::ROTF:

There is also this one (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=ps3&team=305) if you do not like my l33t math skills. :up:

For each of your hosts try here. (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=user&proj=ps3&name=29800)

INFRNL
08-17-2009, 10:07 PM
thanks PG!:up: I appreciate you helping out a lazy guy:ROTF:

looks like I am making decent production. I even had a system down today doue to heat or something. my main rig was just froze up for some reason; first time its done that and it wasnt even that hot today. :shrug:

EDIT: 123Bob is edging me out by just a "c" hair today, maybe tomorrow I can take him.

The GPU I want to order is OOS till next week; not sure if I want to wait or pay another $10 for the evga :shrug: :confused: