PDA

View Full Version : UD team for xtreme

c0dy
08-10-2002, 06:07 PM
thats what you guys need.. cause i'd run folding but i lost my grandmother and dad to cancer so id feel guilty not running <a href="www.UD.com">UD</a> why dont you have one?? :(

Hardass
08-10-2002, 06:19 PM
What is that? Your link does not work.

c0dy
08-10-2002, 06:58 PM
whoops i forgot the http
its http://www.ud.com thanks for trying to look into it :)

the download link is at the top right of the screen.. theres more details there :)

Hardass
08-10-2002, 07:10 PM
From what I see this is almost the same program as F@H.

TheDude
08-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Looks very similar.....except it particularly mentions cancer. The Stanford Protien Folding project will add in fighting cancer as well and many other diseases that protien research plays a part in. I'm sure that it is a very worthy project, I have lost family members to cancer as well. We are a small team and at present have a good standing in the Stanford Project. I wish we were big enough to be involved in all such projects. It is a very personal choice for each individual and as much as we could use your help, I'm sure that everyone will understand if you decide to stay with your current endeavor. Good luck and keep using those cycles for good!:D

DaGooch
08-10-2002, 07:31 PM
I ran UD on all my systems for over a year and contributed 165K points and switched to F@H. I am going to ask my friend EchoBar who contributed over 1.6M points to UD to consider switching over to F@H. The reason I switched from F@H is that it seems to be less commercial than United Devices. I know it takes a lot of money to support a full distributed computing environment and Stanford University because it is Academia seemed less commercial to me so I switched to F@H.

c0dy
08-10-2002, 07:55 PM
geez... i guess.. i might =\ how do i sign up for the xtreme folding team?

Hardass
08-10-2002, 08:18 PM
Easy, Just go here and download the Graphical Client. Install, right click on F@H icon in task bar. Click configure enter user name and 3365 for team number. Thats it. I would disable the screensaver. Link (http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html)

sjohnson
08-10-2002, 09:11 PM
OK, while I can't guarantee how much and for how long, my lil general purpose box is setup to fold for the xtreme team.

TheDude
08-10-2002, 09:39 PM
sjohnson

That's great man, we need all the help we can get!

Welcome aboard!:D

JBELL
08-11-2002, 12:35 AM
xtreme folding was fundign from requests to create and the loss of my friend Jim Mills to throat cancer....

you help is needed and appreciated

IFMU
08-11-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
Easy, Just go here and download the Graphical Client. Install, right click on F@H icon in task bar. Click configure enter user name and 3365 for team number. Thats it. I would disable the screensaver. Link (http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html)
First, I say piss on the graphics version. Not really needed.
Second, if your interested, get the text console version. Much simpler and Ive heard it might be slightly better than the graphics version, but I could be wrong here.
Third, if you do use the graphics version, do a search for *.scr files and you will find one that is labeled something or other like F@H.scr or something. Its labeled for Folding@Home. I delete this every time I use that type of interface with Folding. When I havent, it still runs the screen saver of it. Yes even with it disabled!

Hardass
08-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by IFMU

First, I say piss on the graphics version. Not really needed.
Second, if your interested, get the text console version. Much simpler and Ive heard it might be slightly better than the graphics version, but I could be wrong here.
Third, if you do use the graphics version, do a search for *.scr files and you will find one that is labeled something or other like F@H.scr or something. Its labeled for Folding@Home. I delete this every time I use that type of interface with Folding. When I havent, it still runs the screen saver of it. Yes even with it disabled!
Well Bro, I posted that so the person good be folding quickly. Just for the record! I always used the Graphical and never had a problem with getting rid of screensaver. I now use the console on all rigs. The main drawback of the console is if power on system is interupted F@H does not start automatically. Also has to run in system tray.

Tweaked!
08-11-2002, 06:24 AM
I prefer the graphical client myself. I mainly choose it because I have two sons at home that like to play on my computers alot while I'm gone at work, and sometimes they find ways to lock them up and have to restart them. The graphical client automatically restarts with windows, plus I don't need any other proggies like hideit to remove the client from being an open screen. I've tried both versions extensively, and as long as the screensaver part of the graphical is disabled, there's no noticeable speed difference between the two of them. I just go into display properties and turn screensaver off and have it set to turn monitor off after so long. :)

TheDude
08-11-2002, 07:06 AM
Same here Tweaked....most convient for me.

TheDude
08-11-2002, 07:09 AM
xtreme folding was fundign from requests to create and the loss of my friend Jim Mills to throat cancer....

JBELL

I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. You have found a great way to honor his memory.

c0dy
08-11-2002, 12:29 PM
i joined.. it only did 3 wu's since last night to now =\ i also had no problem getting rid of the screen saver... i changed it to win xp SS and everything worked fine