PDA

View Full Version : TEC installation complete...first impressions!

mdzcpa
08-10-2002, 05:58 PM
Well, I've officially graduated to sub-ambient cooling:)

All the goodies are in place and functioning great. I'ts been up and running a few hours now and doing very well. No signs of condensation and one heck of an improvement in the OC department.

I won't tip my hand just yet with all the details, but suffice it to say that I picked up another easy 120mhz using the 226w pelt. Unfortunately ambient is a toasty 26c, but system temps with open case are 28c. CPU idle is 16c, and load 19c, with 1.775v core on an XP 2200 running at 2.1. I'm quite surprised on how well the Swiftech H202-C kit handles the TECs, 3/8' lines and all. With better ambients I know things would really get going:)

(BTW, I was floored to see the XP 2200 running at 5c when not overclocked...holy cow:eek: )

I'll update again after somemore testing. In the meantime here are a few teasers:

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/ForumPics/TECs/allthestuff.jpg

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/ForumPics/TECs/installed.jpg

TheDude
08-10-2002, 06:20 PM
Very nice temps! Where did you get the 226w pelt....think l be adding one to a rig I just bought.:D
Did you use a cold plate? Is one needed?
Where is your tank?

Hardass
08-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Thats Swiftech equip. You can get it at xtw. Link (http://www.xtwerkz.com/SwiftechLiquidBlocks.htm)

TheDude
08-10-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks Hardass...for the link.

Hardass
08-10-2002, 06:25 PM
NP,Bro.;)

mdzcpa
08-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Very nice temps! Where did you get the 226...I think I will be adding one to a rig I just bought.:D

Yep, as Hardass says, it's the 226w pelt that Swiftech carries. I put the MCW462-UT, MCW40-T, and a dedicated TEC PSU into my Quiet Power case (complete with all mods needed to fit it all and have it working good).

I'm sure there are comparable products out there performance wise. But as far as fit and finish, this Swiftech stuff rocks:) Everything works just as it's suppose to.

Hardass
08-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Mike show how and where you mounted power supply.

mdzcpa
08-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Okay...here you go:

http://www.liquidninjas.com/mdzcpa/ForumPics/TECs/tecpsu.jpg

But, that's all I'm gonna tell for now:) I'll be publishing a full Quiet Power TEC upgrade article over at Liquid Ninjas soon. It will cover everything needed such as fan upgrades, TEC PSU installation and wiring, condensation prevention, general installation tips and tricks, etc.

Overall I'm extremely pleased with how things turned out:) It will be a fun article to write.

TheDude
08-10-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks...looking forward to reading it.

Neptune5k
08-15-2002, 08:27 PM
How do you like that Power supply? I thought about getting one... its just too pefect of a size to pass up.

mdzcpa
08-16-2002, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Neptune5k
How do you like that Power supply? I thought about getting one... its just too pefect of a size to pass up.

I like it a lot. I was concerned at first if it was going to provide enough juice for the 226w TEC, but based on my results it appears to be doing just great. And, yes, the size is extremely convenient:)

Hardass
08-16-2002, 05:12 AM
Did you lose 2 drive bays with installation of PS?

mdzcpa
08-16-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Hardass
Did you lose 2 drive bays with installation of PS?

The way I set it up, yes I did. But it could easily be installed to take up only one. As this rig is my "fun and testing " rig, I only run a single DVD/CDROM drive plus a twin compunurse bay panel. That left me with 2 drives empty so I positioned the PSU low in the top bay which infringes a little on bay 2. I did this to maximize airflow around PSU:)

I'll likely move the PSU up about 1cm later to make room for my rheobus bay controller which I removed when I went to the TECs (because running the fans slow isn't really a good option with that much heat to dissipate).

Anyway, the review is coming. I had to take things back apart to get some better picks of the mobo gasket installation and socket prep. I thought I was taking all the pics needed the first tiime, but in the excitement of it all, I missed a few critical shots.

Stay tuned:)