PDA

View Full Version : Rackmount LC system?

CyberDruid
08-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Any interest in such a thing? As in a rack device that's basically the pump/rad box with Quick Disconnects and PSU etc?

Or in a 2-3u chassis modded for LC. As in pre-plumbed with Quick Disconnects, norprene, pinchclamps, waterblock(s)?

It's something I've always wanted to do...

Gamekiller
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
No rack here. :(

rcofell
08-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Hoping to get a smaller 4-post rack here in the not too distant future, tho LC'ing for it is out of the question for the time being.

I believe this subject has been brought up around here on one or more occasions, and I remember someone posting about the Koolance rackmount offering. But the closest to picking the idea up and running with it would be 123Bob and his van radiator cooled rack farm :up:

If you decide to follow through on this definitely keep us posted :yepp:

OldChap
08-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Or maybe Naja's geothermal/rad/bong setup...that would hook up to a rack pretty good.....but I guess you were thinking of something self-contained

Chris_redfield
08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Its a really interesting idea and one that if got turned into a project I'd instantly sub.

I am tinkering with the idea of watercooling my E6600, 7850BE and 9850 BE in the same case just to kick out a bit of heat into my room for the winter but was struggling to find a chassis I could easily mod and make possible. I had looked into a rack but when I breifly investigated this price cost of the rack mounted cases took the cost out of my zone.

I hadn't thought about the quick disconnects though. That would be a really good idea, so if you wanted to swap over hardware it would make life a lot easier, or even just leak test or bench other rigs you would have you'r pumps and rads set up with minimal hassle.

CyberDruid
08-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Rackmount rad box seem full of win. Hell you could just put it under a work bench or whatever.

[XC] riptide
08-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Rackmount rad box seem full of win. Hell you could just put it under a work bench or whatever.

Would it be a bit like newls1 waterkeg?

fallwind
08-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Koolance beat ya to it! :) http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/default.php?cPath=28_42

s0lid
08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
I'd use 4U casing and put one 3x140mm rad in front and pumps there, then use leak free connectors between 1U rigs :)
Swiftech have one Apogee 1U block.

Rise
08-14-2009, 03:12 AM
i think if i were going to LC an entire rack, I would just do this:

pump->cpu1->rad->cpu2->rad->cpu3->rad->cpu4->rad->res->pump etc. where the pump would likely be an iwaki depending on the number of rigs in serial and all blocks would be as low restriction as possible.

then you'd really only have to worry about mounting the rads, and I would keep them outside the rack most likely on the front for the coolness factor.

emuexport
08-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Nice idea CD! I've been playing with sketchup to make my own stackable rack out of timber. My idea was to have a bunch of quads each with their own level and can be detached easily using disconnects. put some wheels on it share wireless access and move it around the house to keep it warm in winter and put it outside in summer where it can be loud and not build on its own heat if need be.

I think racks are pretty expensive here in Oz, But I think if you could make something stackable abit along the lines of Dr Sigs High-Rise cruncher that would be great and remain modular allowing people to configure them how they want without the need for a rack.

Just my 2 cents! :D

123bob
08-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm still running the original mass cooler I posted about some time ago. (Ah cripes, TWO years ago, here. (http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=155220)) I have 7 quads on it now and it is still pumping along fine. My temps on those rigs stay in the upper 40s C to low 50s C with a mix of B3 Kents in there. Ambient about 25C...

I designed it to rack into a 19" rack. the only problem I had with that little plan was that I filled the rack it was going into with more machines.....:rofl::ROTF: It now sits on a two drawer filing cabinet I keep spare parts and such in.

I don't know what scale of a rig you are considering. I have two loops with double D5 Langs in each loop. As was said before, the main cooling is provided by a van radiator. Probably the equivalent of about 8 normal triple rads....

Early in that thread, someone suggested quick connects. The problem I had was it would not work with series loops. You would have to have manifolds and parallel loop architecture. For me, the Fuzion blocks were perfect. Low flow resistance, very nice blocks.

I now have 5 other machines I could throw on it. I would be curious to see if it could handle it, but it's a question of time to do it....:yepp:

Every project has a time and place. For me, the next big one will be an upgrade to probably gulftown. IDK.....I'll still run the Kents farm, but it has a limited lifespan....:eek:

Regards,
Bob

EDIT: WOW, Just checked my data on the original post. There's not much temp degradation from that post. Of course, everything is now on ICD7 paste now. Great stuff!! But that's another topic, on another thread....

CyberDruid
08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

Maybe two racks side by side: one for cooling and power supplies and the other side for rigs :D