PDA

View Full Version : Water Cooling Advice needed!

r00t3d
08-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Got an Innovatek 2 large kit, everything is setup but i am still getting:

39 degrees on CPU (2200+ AMD XP not unlocked) - no load
49 degrees on GPU (nvida ti g4600 - not overclocked) - no load

45 degrees on CPU (2200+ AMD XP not unlocked) - load (after running 3dmark2001)
54 degrees on GPU (nvida ti g4600 - not overclocked) - load (after running 3dmark2001)

My question is the water pipes from the GPU to the CPU etc should they be just perfect in length or is having them "long in length" better ......

How else can I cool this down as it seems like it is still quite warm.....

Thanks in advance....
-r00t3d....

DisposableHero
08-10-2002, 04:40 PM
well first of all your temps might be a little higher since im guessing your using one loop to cool both cpu and gpu...

u can have the pipes a little longer just in case you need to move something around in the future.. wont hurt anything...

what fans are u using on the radiator? a more powerful one would aid but probably not much depending on your water temp.

JBELL
08-11-2002, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the sickness

the shorter the pipe the faster you move water through the line... leave long enough to move stuff but do it as short as possible!!

r00t3d
08-11-2002, 12:50 AM
The recommendation is to keep the pipes as short as possible?

IFMU
08-11-2002, 01:06 AM
Keep them short, but not so much as to cause them to kink. Would ruin the whole point of having them so short to begin with!
Now Im not to familiar with pre-built kits, but is there a way to see if the rad is maybe not doing a good enough job? It might not be cooling the water enough.
Whats your room temps here too? That could be a large part of the problem. If your room temps are real high, then the water will only get a little warmer than the rooms temps.

IFMU
08-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Hrm, ok I said that all wrong there... Ok, if your room temps are say around 40C then odds are no matter what you do with just basic water cooling, you will not get much below 45 or so. The fans can only do so much.
Figure on average your temps will be at best 4-8 degrees above room temps.
Make better sense this time? LOL

Marci
08-11-2002, 12:54 PM
If you're looping out of one block into another, it could benefit you to get 2x yspliiters, and split the stream so that each block gets "fresh" water rather than water that has been heated by the previous block. This will slow your flow rate down over the blocks, so the 1048 pump upgrade would be beneficial at this point... alternatively, get a second radiator (the new innova1x120 is fairly compact to add in alongside the maxxxpert job) and go from the cpu to rad to gpu to rad to res-inlet.

My ambient temp is 31 deg, and idle my xp2000 at 1.9ghz runs at 34... under load I hit 38/39. This is using the maxxxpert rad & a ystech slimline 120mm fan. I also have the new innova1x120 and it performs exactly the same as the maxxxpert, just takes up far less space and looks nicer, but at the moment it has to go back to the shop to be sold :(

r00t3d
08-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Marci
If you're looping out of one block into another, it could benefit you to get 2x yspliiters, and split the stream so that each block gets "fresh" water rather than water that has been heated by the previous block. This will slow your flow rate down over the blocks, so the 1048 pump upgrade would be beneficial at this point... alternatively, get a second radiator (the new innova1x120 is fairly compact to add in alongside the maxxxpert job) and go from the cpu to rad to gpu to rad to res-inlet.

My ambient temp is 31 deg, and idle my xp2000 at 1.9ghz runs at 34... under load I hit 38/39. This is using the maxxxpert rad & a ystech slimline 120mm fan. I also have the new innova1x120 and it performs exactly the same as the maxxxpert, just takes up far less space and looks nicer, but at the moment it has to go back to the shop to be sold :(

Marci,

Thanks for that info, can you send me some picks of your setup, so I have a general idea of what I can expect from the setup you mentioned above.

I bought my whole kit from yourselves, as soon as I can get some picks from you i'll order the extra kit required, can you give me a detail as to exactly what I need to get.

Thanks

Marci
08-12-2002, 10:57 AM
I don't actually use the setup I recommended above, at the moment I am waiting for my replacement GT3 GPU Block to arrive...

I use a simple HUGE pan as a res, pump submerged, to cpu block (swiftech MCW462U) to radiator (maxxxpert MONOXL - InnovaRAD returned today) back to pan... that's it.

Here are a few diagrams tho (sketched up quick style)

1. Parallel Blocks
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/media/marci/parallelblocks.gif

2. Series Blocks
http://www.over-clock.co.uk/media/marci/seriesblocks.gif

if that helps any!

KAIN
08-12-2002, 11:37 AM
I actually use T-Splitter's as my Geforce doesn't need anywhere near as much flow as my P4 does.