PDA

View Full Version : iphone or BlackBerry 8900

Mr.Pink
08-08-2009, 09:17 AM
if you had the 2 on your desk but could only have 1 phone what would you choose?

I have them both now and I have to return one on Monday need help deciding on what to keep

hikaricloud
08-08-2009, 09:25 AM
As much as I loathe apple, I'd have to go with the iPhone. It's just a better overall phone. The Blackberry's nice, but I'm pretty sure it's not as fast as the Bold (9000), and I know the old non 3g iPhone surfed the web quicker in EDGE areas, and the 3G and up iPhone surfs faster in a 3G area. Not to mention the different apps you can get for it, plus the media aspects.

The 3Gs has a better camera, even though it's .2mp lower. It has the nifty tap autofocus feature, and the video recording capabilities are not shabby at all.

They both have GPS, BT, and WiFi support, so that's not a deciding factor.

Having worked for AT&T, I will say this: the main factor is what you use the phone for. Blackberry phones have more features geared towards business people, while the iPhone is more for the average everyday guy, even though it can be used for business people.

Mr.Pink
08-08-2009, 09:56 AM
looking quickly at the iphone I dont seem to see a video camera or GPS, I do see it on the BB

Bail_w
08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
looking quickly at the iphone I dont seem to see a video camera or GPS, I do see it on the BB

I dont think it has GPS but it does have a camera.

benko
08-08-2009, 12:15 PM
i would go for 8900, i like hw qwerty keyboard, and spped of it is nice...

Scubar
08-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Blackberry out of those two listed everytime. Much nicer phone.

mdzcpa
08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd take the Iphone over the 8900.

But I prefer the BB Storm to both of those.

I've tried all 3, and currently settled with the Storm.

exemay
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
id go with the BB, having had an iphone, i know how luring they are with the apps, but there are a number of things which really annoyed me with it.... the fact that it didnt have the features of other smart-phones out there, granted since i had my iphone the 3G and 3GS has come out, but that made me loathe apple even more.....

if you buy the iphone, you know that in a few months the new one will come out, and you will be kicking yourself for not waiting!

BB all the way, im deciding weather to get the 8900 or the storm currently!

Mr.Pink
08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm leaning real hard towards the 8900 now, wish I had a Storm to check out
iPhone is cool but lacking in many features, my biggest gripe is no MSN for iphone or video camera

dum
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I got tired of paying for a phone that won't show adobe flash, can make web surfing suck

Mk
08-11-2009, 05:09 PM
the blackberry bold 9000 is the best phone i ever got in a while

wondergod
08-11-2009, 07:14 PM
once you go blackberry you never go iphone. Everyone I know that has had a new gen blackberry pearl+ and has switched to an iphone has regretted it(I know many I lived next to NYC the iphone capital).

It also depends on what you do though. I personally use Blackberry IM/Email like religion and prefer the full "real" keyboard over a touchscreen kb any day. Although if I had to use a touchscreen KB the iphone is the one to use.

You could rock it like me, got a Curve and a ipod touch. Just got my girlfriend a Tour and I might have switch to that.

diredesire
08-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I dont think it has GPS but it does have a camera.
iphone 3g/s have a true GPS, the original did not (triangulating locality based on cell towers)

VIctorj
08-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Iphone. I dont like the bb web browser.....keyboard is too small. THe phone feels nice and all, but there are some things that are not cool...like lack of 3g.
You can do a lot of things on the iphone...yes, after jailbreaking it.
Anyway...working as tech support for tmobile gives you some insight on how this things work...and im sticking with my iphone.

chispy
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
BlackBerry 8900 FTW

dum
08-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Iphone. I dont like the bb web browser.....keyboard is too small. THe phone feels nice and all, but there are some things that are not cool...like lack of 3g.
You can do a lot of things on the iphone...yes, after jailbreaking it.
Anyway...working as tech support for tmobile gives you some insight on how this things work...and im sticking with my iphone.

and hope the next firmware does not brick you, no tethering yet in the U.S., apple has a great platform and they would let it be used to it's fullest:confused:

exemay
08-14-2009, 02:32 PM
and hope the next firmware does not brick you, no tethering yet in the U.S., apple has a great platform and they would let it be used to it's fullest:confused:

yeah, apple do, its a fantastic platform, but if they really did allow it to be used to its full potential, then they would loose soo much profit, think about, how many people you know that have bought the first iphone, then upgraded to the 3g, then 3gs??? i really do hate the iphone, not cause its no good, its a very nice thing, and very very pleasing to use. BUT i hate them cause it isnt being used to its full potential..... i had the first iphone, and never again. ever.

Blackberry all the way:yepp:

Gator!
08-15-2009, 08:56 PM
i would go with the iphoen i have a 3gs and it is super sick.....the functionality is awesome, its super easy to use....i sleep with it, it sits in a nice pouch the is right next to me on my pillow.....now if only at&t didnt suck so much it would be a whole lot nicer....for me its the general GUI and the quickness of the phone and i like the touchscreen keyboard u get used to it really quick....idk what these guys are smoking....but its there opinion!

Ozzfest05
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I would go with the HTC Dream Qwerty Keyboard and a Touch Screen with all the great features.

vengance_01
08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
One thing that really bugs about the Iphone is its battery life mainly talk time and GPS. This thing dies in less then a day with average use. Other than that I do like my free Iphone 3G. Though ATT sucks.

hikaricloud
08-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Dunno why people thought there was no GPS on the iPhone. Especially the new one.

Having extensive experience with both the 8900 and the iPhone, I would say iPhone still. But it's really a matter of preference. I would say the choice should be between the Bold 9000 and the iPhone. There's no way the Curve can hold up.

dorkiedoode
08-25-2009, 02:05 AM
iphone!

dorkiedoode
08-25-2009, 02:07 AM
once you go blackberry you never go iphone. Everyone I know that has had a new gen blackberry pearl+ and has switched to an iphone has regretted it(I know many I lived next to NYC the iphone capital).

It also depends on what you do though. I personally use Blackberry IM/Email like religion and prefer the full "real" keyboard over a touchscreen kb any day. Although if I had to use a touchscreen KB the iphone is the one to use.

You could rock it like me, got a Curve and a ipod touch. Just got my girlfriend a Tour and I might have switch to that.

i had the old 8320 curve, then the new 8900 curve, then the bold and i will never go back to blackberry after using the iphone :)

Jamesrt2004
08-25-2009, 02:10 AM

jailbreak = tethering :D

also I hate my iphone (I got it second hand and imei is blocked in uk, so if anyone from US wanna buy it as it will work 100% there pm me) but uh :( UPSET TIMES

lol got my money back so i essentially have a free ipod touch + camera atm :) so i might spent the < £200 for a logic board

BugeyedEarl
08-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm going to second wondergod;

Currently I'm using BB Tour so it's not exactly the Curve 8900...but for emailing/dealing with any document files, BB's physical keyboard and trackballs are a blessing.

iPhone or any other 'touch phones' are kind of nice for browsing and watching stuff on youtube, but for anything more than that I find them impractical.

Lastly, this is more of a provider problem...but I have to mention it anyways since this is part of the package.
Verizon's network is actually fast and reliable.
AT&T is slow.
I haven't personally used Sprint, Tmobile, Cellular etc. so I can't speak for all the other providers, but I can say AT&T is slow which is the main reason why switched. If you don't want to keep ripping your hairs out waiting for that **** mail to load, well...don't get an iPhone.

SNiiPE_DoGG
08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone, but at the same time every blackberry I have every used sucks major ****, so I really wouldnt get one.

psyconut713
08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
My iPhone is a godsend, people who use BB's tend to frown upon it, but it does most things a blackberry does, but with a different GUI and Interface. App's are much more abundant and feature-full. My iPhone dies fast yes, but I use it all day/night, listening to music for 8 hours at work and in the car, texting, web browsing, even playing really good games, with other user's at times. iPhone seems to be more then a phone while the BB is just a really good phone. Business, or pleasure? BB has instant email......so does MobileMe, and Find my iPhone.....and 10GB EXTRA storage from the 8/16/32GB flash drive.

iPhone now has full GPS capabilities, but you have to buy the App, so you can chose from TomTom, Navigone, or AT&T for it.

And it has a fully 3.2 MP video camera in the 3GS

BTW, I used to have the LG Dare, still do as I have a contract with a larger termination fee then the combined monthly payments left, and still have to use it from time to time. Verizon seems a hell of a lot slower, I don't know how I used it for so long, or thought it could compete with the iPhone, I could never go back. I know thats not the question here, but I have to defend the shots to the network.

hikaricloud
08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Verizon's network is actually fast and reliable.
AT&T is slow.
I haven't personally used Sprint, Tmobile, Cellular etc. so I can't speak for all the other providers, but I can say AT&T is slow which is the main reason why switched. If you don't want to keep ripping your hairs out waiting for that **** mail to load, well...don't get an iPhone.

You're flat out wrong. Speed is completely dependent on your area. You may have faster speeds with Verizon where you are, great. But making a blanket statement about the speeds like you just did based on your limited experience is pretty unfounded. I have a bit more experience with the type of signal in different areas and country wide in general from having worked for both VZW and AT&T.

I've already explained speed test results before:

The problem with AT&T's network isn't the fact that it's slower than all the other networks. It's about the area it's deployed in.

AT&T's main problem for a while was getting out 3G support. They were pooling billions of dollars into towers all over the place to cover as much of the country as possible, while other companies were working on beefing up their network speed in the areas they already had covered. So speed wasn't exactly AT&T's priority, coverage was.

Now they've shifted their gaze to pushing out 3G on as many areas as possible while still expanding the coverage, and it's going slow. VZW has had EVDO out in more places for a lot longer, so they've had time to work with it. Sprint and T-Mobile have such crappy coverage in comparison, it was pretty simple for them to push their money into beefing up their network without having too much area to cover.

So basically, AT&T has less 3G coverage and speeds but a wider spread of coverage, while Verizon has more EVDO coverage, but less of a spread.

Now as to the fastest claim, it is a bit misleading considering they don't have as much 3G coverage. BUT. If you take the best AT&T 3G speed and compare it to the best VZW EVDO speed, pretty sure AT&T will win, considering it has HSDPA deployed in some major metropolitan areas.

Also, Verizon phones work farther away from a tower then AT&T phones, due to the type of signal they use (CDMA based). The upshot is AT&T works better in buildings than VZW (due to GSM base). So a person standing 1000ft from a VZW tower will have stronger signal than a person standing 1000ft from an AT&T tower in the end, therefore faster speeds.

Sorry, I nerd out about phones a little too hard since I've worked with them for a few years.

Mphs
08-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I had the same doubt and opted for iPhone 3GS.

Mr.Pink
08-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Well I couldnt make up my mind so I went and spent the extra 99 bucks and had work get me both..
I still use the BB more and find the iPhone a nice little weekend toy, altho they should made the iPhone a tad thicker to allow for a better battery, thats its weakest link well that and iTunes is a pita to get mp3's uploaded.
imo the 89000 ownz the iPhone in every aspect, if the iPhone did not have the touch screen and rotating display I dont think it would be as popular

hikaricloud
08-30-2009, 01:31 AM
I think you have a pretty bad idea of what makes things popular, lol...the iPhone is popular because it's Apple.

the_dope_chaud
08-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I think you have a pretty bad idea of what makes things popular, lol...the iPhone is popular because it's Apple.

Actually, you got that a bit backwards: apple is popular because of the iphone (and the ipod...)

hikaricloud
08-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Actually, you got that a bit backwards: apple is popular because of the iphone (and the ipod...)

Lmao, are you serious? The iPhone is what made Apple popular? Riiiiight.

Sure, the iPod, which has been around for years, but the iPod has nothing to do with Mac computer sales. And seeing as Apple was popular before the iPhone came out...hmm...

exemay
08-31-2009, 06:10 PM
i had the iphone when it first came out here in the UK..... it sucked balls, it was awful, slow, crap internet, the touchscreen was unusable on the move, the battery went down in less than a day, to make things worse after 10 months of being on the contract i lost my iphone, and had to pay to either exit the contract, or start a new 18 month contract in order to get a new phone....

Since my iphone ive had the sony k850i, HTC touch diamond and now my BB bold, while the k850i was a good phone, the keypad was poor and the camera really wasnt antyhing to rant about.... the HTC was a good phone, if not a little slow at times at the screen a bit dodgey.... However my BB is amazing, its super fast, never crashes, the battery life is insane.... with normal use i can go 5 days without charging, with excessive use it goes down to around 2 and a half/3 days.

OK the BB doesnt have a flashy app store, or a touch screen, but really, do you need it? ok its nice to show off to your friends that your phone can play games and tell you the weather in every country etc, but so what?

And yeah, apple was a huge success before the ipod and iphone came around, the ipod, at first wasnt a huge success, (im talking about the ones with the spin wheel and the touch sensitive one) the huge success of the ipod brand was helped by apple, from their loyal customers buying the new product out, but it was mainly due to the stunning design. the ipod branding helped to ultimately boost apple sales