PDA

View Full Version : linux and gpugrid any one using it.

shadowwind
08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
im getting tired of windows i like ubuntu or any other linux version would i need wine to get the gpugrid up and running. or i should ask what the best way to get the gpugrid going with linux.:)

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
I think GPUGrid has a native linux client.

road-runner
08-06-2009, 02:05 PM
I tried to get it to work about a month ago and no luck on Ubuntu 8.04, I done a new install installed the newest nvidia drivers but gpu grid did nothing. I could have done something wrong though... :shrug:

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 02:18 PM
It is REAL easy to miss something in Linux. There is an app called Envy that is SUPPOSED to install the drivers and set it up. Have not tried it but have not heard anything bad about it. Might be worth a try, I saw it in the Ubuntu package manager.

shadowwind
08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
i was just reading on the gpugrid open suse 64 is good i may give it a try but for me ubuntu is sort of shadowwind proof or i should say dummy wind proof:rofl:

RR or PG what drivers are you using gnome.kde or any other it been a while sine i used ubuntu so im not sure what is good for video any more. AND WINE IS A PAIN TO GET GOING that's why i got no hair i pulled it all out:rofl:

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't think ya need to worry about wine. I like gnome myself but that is a personal choice. Ubuntu seems pretty easy to get going and add packages/apps.

shadowwind
08-06-2009, 04:24 PM
yup that is true poppa its a nice well packaged setup my tvcard stutters in gnome other than that every thing else works good, the reason im thinking wine
is for F@h gpu when i want to fold,that my only catch going back to ubuntu unless they figured out how to fold on the gpus and got drivers in place i know they was working on it a while back.

pwolfe
08-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I'll write up a how-to for getting gpugrid running in Linux; I'll just have to wait until I have enough time to do it properly. It was really easy to do.

shadowwind
08-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I'll write up a how-to for getting gpugrid running in Linux; I'll just have to wait until I have enough time to do it properly. It was really easy to do.

thanks i can wait for it im just wondering if the gtx 260s has the 2d kick down problem that cuda is causing in windows .

shadowwind
08-23-2009, 05:54 PM
well im biting the bullet and im down loading suse 11.1 x64 im not reading to many complaints on the gtx 260s not working right now i know sli isn't working
yet i got 4 computers and if i can get 3 gtx 260s not working in windows up and running on suse then i will be happy that will give me 4gtx 260s and 1 gts250 working till window gets a fix or suse gets sli going.:shrug: i hope this works

PoppaGeek
08-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Check out Envy, supposed to be a program that sets up nvida cards to work, gets drivers and all. I have never used but heard it worked well.

shadowwind
08-23-2009, 06:34 PM
i will check it out and thanks:up:

turbohans
08-23-2009, 06:40 PM
@shadowwind, yes I will also,, I love linux! currenty I have linux mint 7 and windows 7 and feel like i really needa dig harder into the dark side. lol

PoppaGeek
08-23-2009, 07:29 PM
@shadowwind, yes I will also,, I love linux! currenty I have linux mint 7 and windows 7 and feel like i really needa dig harder into the dark side. lol

:welcome:

shadowwind
08-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I tried to get it to work about a month ago and no luck on Ubuntu 8.04, I done a new install installed the newest nvidia drivers but gpu grid did nothing. I could have done something wrong though... :shrug:

with the 8.04 you can run envy it will update your nvidia drivers to the new 185,xx driver
out for the linux gpugrid running now im thinking you was stuck with the 180,xx driver that was a hit or miss deal that was causing some problems for some users.so give it a try RR and go back to the dark side,:up:

shadowwind
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
OC ever consider doing a nvidia bios flash, i might give it a try on one of the gtx 260 but right now i got a friend that is interested in buying a few cards off me so its up in the air he knows some one that is looking for a good deal so im going to sell them for the price i paid for them on the Egg, i hope to have enough to get 3 gtx 285 + some out of pocket money and order them sunday. i am kind of tired playing with the 260s,

OldChap
08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Gotta ask...is 285 worth the xtra over 275?

shadowwind
08-28-2009, 03:35 PM
im not sure they are worth it, but i did get 3 of them i just ordered them, i sold all 6 cards just 45 mins ago
i was going to go with 3 gtx 275s but then i figured with my luck i should get the 285s i know they work and put up some good numbers.:up:and the 285s will be 3rd in line once the gtx 300 come out so im going to play it safe.im tired of messing around with OS s and vid drivers im just looking for some sanity .:D and i know you must be feeling the same way by now.

PoppaGeek
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM
im not sure they are worth it, but i did get 3 of them i just ordered them, i sold all 6 cards just 45 mins ago
i was going to go with 3 gtx 275s but then i figured with my luck i should get the 285s i know they work and put up some good numbers.:up:and the 285s will be 3rd in line once the gtx 300 come out so im going to play it safe.im tired of messing around with OS s and vid drivers im just looking for some sanity .:D and i know you must be feeling the same way by now.

Hey brother can spare some? Been a long time since I tasted sanity.....:rofl:

shadowwind
08-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Hey brother can spare some? Been a long time since I tasted sanity.....:rofl:

i got you covered i will send you 1 bottle of sanity.
this bottle of sanity is for Xtreme user only and if used daily you will become normal again,
the next time you want to purchased another Xtreme System to push the limits, take 1 tea spoon of Doctor Kilz sanity it will prevent you from pulling the trigger on that purchase,and keep you in a rational state of mind.:D
this product will not grow back hair. sorry once hair is pulled out while trying to get programs working it is gone forever,:shakes:
this product will not get you drunk or high,:shocked:
the bottle of sanity will foil all plans of trying to sneak high end vidcards and cpus into the house when the wife is gone,she will find out any ways sooner or later.:shakes: they all ways do,

so poppa i will send you a bottle if you really need it:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

PoppaGeek
08-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Uh second thought, maybe not.:rofl:

It was that werd "normal", turned my stomach.:p:

shadowwind
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
then abbi-normal is good. got to love mel brooks young Frankenstein, now that's funny.:rofl:

shadowwind
09-26-2009, 06:17 AM
ok i got new rig up and running now i got a question i just put in the 185.18 drivers in ubuntu 9.04 before i download bionc will i need to install cuda also to get my cards working in the gpugrid.

i made some changes in my vidcards instead of getting 2 gtx 285s and 280s i bought 2 gtx 295s and put the rest of my money into a cpu upgrade.

PoppaGeek
09-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Pretty sure CUDA comes with drivers from what I have read in forums. Most say they are runnung 190.xx drivers though, not sure if that is the requirement now.

UPS says they will deliver my new PSU tomorrow and I have not mailed the GTX 260 192 to EVGA yet so I will try and put it on one of the Opteron systems and install the grid. That will make it a little easier to answer questions. Most of the problems people seem to have are with permissions it seems.

EDIT: 185.xx ok.

shadowwind
09-26-2009, 03:44 PM
the 185.18 is ok but for some reason the gpugrid doent like it
message from server:can't use NVIDIA GPU app for full atom molecular dynamic.....
mesage from server:Full-atom molecular dynamics on cell processer is not aval...

so i think i got some thing messed up in my apps in the terminal, not sure it all works fine i may try the cuda display drivers from nvidia instead of using the standard drivers.

but right now im watching tv on that computer and it is working great no stuttering at all,

so im going to try the 190.xx drivers out in a few, off the nvidia cuda download site damn here comes a lot more typing seems like thats all ive been doing lately but its fun:rofl:i think not.

PoppaGeek
09-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't think it is the driver. let me dig around.

shadowwind
09-26-2009, 04:39 PM
im glad i ckeck for your reply poppa i was just about to shut down X so i can wait, your the best digging around guy i know of.:up:going to make some tea you want some i will send it to ya by email:D

PoppaGeek
09-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Make sure BOINC is in the Group "Video Users"

In messages does it show that it is trying to get WUs and show that same message? If not try hitting Update. I had one install that gave me a similar error message but did get WUs after an Update. Maybe server busy. :shrug:

What version of Boinc?

shadowwind
09-26-2009, 05:46 PM
pops im using the 6.6.2 im still playing with it to manually update it so im taking a break from the terminal to i figure out what to write in sudo to get it working im still lacking commands to write in the terminal but i am getting better at it, so i guess i will never be a career programer:D:rofl:

i tried update it does not help also tried reset project it does not help, how do i check for video user . that might be what im missing

PoppaGeek
09-26-2009, 10:20 PM
type sudo grep video /etc/group
if boinc is not listed then
type sudo edit /etc/group and append boinc to video line or
Applications > Accessories > Text Editor. Open file /etc/group scroll down to the line with video and append boinc using a , and no space such as -> video:x:44:poppageek,boinc

Hope that fixes it. :up:

If it won't let ya save it open a terminal and
type sudo gedit /etc/group

JackOfAll
09-27-2009, 02:37 AM
type sudo grep video /etc/group
if boinc is not listed then
type sudo edit /etc/group and append boinc to video line or
Applications > Accessories > Text Editor. Open file /etc/group scroll down to the line with video and append boinc using a , and no space such as -> video:x:44:poppageek,boinc

Hope that fixes it. :up:

If it won't let ya save it open a terminal and
type sudo gedit /etc/group

Why, why, why? ;)

sudo usermod -a -G video boinc

PoppaGeek
09-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Why, why, why? ;)

sudo usermod -a -G video boinc

Give a man a fish you have feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you have feed him for a lifetime.

Now he knows 2 ways how to edit a file including one he does not have permissions.

Anyone spending any time with Linux/Unix knows there are almost always more than one way and usually several ways to do something. I am not going to battle on what's best.

JackOfAll
09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Anyone spending any time with Linux/Unix knows there are almost always more than one way and usually several ways to do something.

Anyone spending any time with Linux/Unix knows better than to start hacking at password/group when tools exist to do the job. ;) (Especially when those tools take into account. eg. keeping gshadow in sync with group.)

PoppaGeek
09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Thank you for correcting me, and humiliating me. I obviously asked for it. You are correct and I realize that while I thought I was helping a friend I was not. I will bow to your obvious superiority.

I will refrain from posting from now on.

Chumbucket843
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
linux chivalry.lol.

JackOfAll
09-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Thank you for correcting me, and humiliating me. I obviously asked for it.

I think you're being a little touchy! No offence was intended. My black/dark humour obviously doesn't translate that well, even with a smiley on the end of it.

I've spent too many hours fixing problems due to people hand-editing system files when tools exist to do the job. Especially when the people doing the editing are not sysadmins and don't fully understand the consequences of their actions. That was the only point, maybe not made so well. It wasn't about humiliating you.

I've dealt, (more than a few times), with getting a machine back into a usable state after someone has hand-edited system authentication files, and on the next reboot can't log in at all. That's why I'd say don't do it and don't educate others to do it.

Chumbucket843
10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
can someone tell me how to install drivers in ubuntu? i have tried a bunch of guides and none work.

shadowwind
10-04-2009, 04:53 PM
chumbucket i used the guide on the nvidia forums it works for fedora and ubuntu. i wish i could help you some more but im posting from my note book and i cant access my computers at home.just follow jacks or PGs post once you get it going that will complete it or it did for me.:up:

Chumbucket843
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
could you give me a link to the thread? i couldnt find it on nvforums.

road-runner
11-21-2009, 10:30 PM
I tried this again, used envy to install the drivers and still no go, the message I get is no nvidia card from gpugrid and I have a few rigs with 9600gso in them. Not sure whats going on, I get the nvidia screen when rebooting, I have heard that means the drivers are installed and working. :shrug:

shadowwind
11-22-2009, 03:53 AM
that is what i got no nvidia gpu, i think its some thing to do with the cuda wrapper try installing cuda by it self , i gave up my linux knowledge to get around that part is very weak. so i put that drive on a itx build and now its a wcg only computer, it is small and out of the way.:D my next build will be a ITX I7.:p:

road-runner
11-22-2009, 06:59 AM
that is what i got no nvidia gpu, i think its some thing to do with the cuda wrapper try installing cuda by it self , i gave up my linux knowledge to get around that part is very weak. so i put that drive on a itx build and now its a wcg only computer, it is small and out of the way.:D my next build will be a ITX I7.:p:

Cuda is not installed when the drivers are? If not that must be the problem then, I will try in a little while...