PDA

View Full Version : Dream System

BlackFloyd
08-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering what is your idea of a dream system?
Include everything from mobo to ramsinks to peltiers!!

BlackFloyd
08-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Wow I guess nobody is going to answer me are they

TheDude
08-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Kinda hard question.....people here change computers like most people change underwear. Todays Dream Machine is tomorrows has been rig thats sitting in the corner running only Folding. My Dream Machine is whatever just came out thats better than what I have, but can't afford to get! LOL

Welcome to the forum!

Have you joined our Folding Team yet?:D

ps I see you have! GREAT!

BlackFloyd
08-10-2002, 02:01 PM
haha, yeah...kind of a hard question, I guess the real question is what should i put in my next system! I know enough about hardware but I still am not sure what the best cooling solution is for me...

BlackFloyd
08-10-2002, 02:02 PM
btw, the big lebowski is one of my favorite movies of all time :)

TheDude
08-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Yeah I love that movie too!

I run a vapochill on my main rigg and get good temps with it and aside from some minor easily fixed problems, it's been great. However if I had it to do over again, because of the price, I would stick with watercooling and a peltier, which seems to do just as well for me.
A lot of the guys here get really good temps with Hi performance air cooling. They have found a good mix between noise and cooling and know the best fans, heatsinks and configurations.
I just bought JBELLs Koolance water cooled case that he fitted with some hi quality gear and should do real well.
I tend to lean towards Abit boards mostly, but have tried Asus, Epox and MSI with decent results. These days a good power supply is vital.
Search around some in here...there's tons of good info that should help you make a good choice.:D

Silversink
08-10-2002, 06:21 PM
To me the dream system is one that never crashes, Allows a 100% Overclock, Is voice controlled, and costs less that $1.74

But then I woke up from my dream :stick:

TheDude
08-10-2002, 06:32 PM
To me the dream system is one that never crashes, Allows a 100% Overclock, Is voice controlled, and costs less that $1.74

What?.....no Head?!!!!:D

IFMU
08-10-2002, 10:32 PM
Heh, I think my dream machine would be rather costly.
Basiclly, take and set up a total of 3 complete systems.
2 should be at least SMP rigs, 1 needs to be AMD and the other Id like to be a XEON just so I can test it out personally in comparison to AMD. And of course some programs will run better on AMD while others better on Intel.
But, 6 monitors, heh... ever played the game Vampire TM? The computer game? If you have you might have seen the hackers setup in there. Thats kinda what I want. But 3 seperate systems that all hook into one another and I can variably swap monitors with each and much much more.. heh

So, just for basic run-downs here.
Tyan Thunder K7 Dual MP's 2000+ (or better)
1.5Gig mem, PC2700 ECC Reg Crucial of course
undecided here, but
a SCSI raid array, RAID 0+1 or once I learn a lil more about a RAID5 maybe go that route. heh
CD Rom, plextor... then figure in a couple GF3's into that lil rig there. (Im not majorly into games, so heh, even the 3's would be a bit much.)
No burners or nuthin else really in this one, just a few monitors, all flat panels of course. heh

Next, A dual or quad Intel XEON system.
Figure along the lines of the same as above, I dont really know Intel enough to go into specifics.

Then a Single CPU rig.
Prolly a nForce 2 board, without onboard video.
GF4 ~ Hey, I said I didnt play MUCH! LoL
Figure in a 2400+ or so XP or whatever is coming out that should squash these.
solid gig of ram, figure in prolly around PC3000
Rom, Burner, DVD, Burner
Prolly a nice lil scsi raid 1 array for a lil speed boost.
TV Tuner, Radio Tuner... um....
well whatever I know I missed overall will be put in here, this will be my gaming, TV, movie, burnin, BS rig overall.
The others will be for everyday use, this one will be just for those special occasions. LoL

Yea I know Ive been called a lil worse then Im sure any of you could think up!!! LMAO

JBELL
08-11-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Silversink

But then I woke up from my dream :stick:

wont get that with intel - try AMD you'll be closer to that dream.

RichBa5tard
08-11-2002, 03:14 AM
Easy question:

Lian Li PC76 (black, big tower model) + H²O setup :D

septimus
08-19-2002, 08:10 PM
I'm installing h2o into my Lian-li PC-61. It will be slightly cramped but hey this case is deep.