PDA

View Full Version : Alrighty then, I guess I wasn't ready for driver 190.36...

123bob
08-06-2009, 01:03 AM
I posted up the issue at nVidia here. (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=103893)

Blank screen when I go to 190.38. I hope this is heard by nVidia development.

I have my cards limping along on the grid, but it won't stay that way for long, I want this fixed, or they will fold......

Regards,
Bob

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 01:21 AM
The 260 w/192 shaders I had all the problems with, well I tried the 190s on it and had 5 failed F@H WUs. So back to 182.50. The 260 w/216, new one, has completed and validated 3 GPUGrid WUs and LOTRO plays fine so far on it.

GPUGrid.net suggested going to 186.18 or 185.xx as many people were having problems with 190.xx. Funny thing is Shadow is still validating WUs with 182.xx?????? :shrug:

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 02:13 AM
I went thru the forums some at Nvidia and Evga and there are an awefull lot of people having major problems with the 190.xx drivers. There are many who have problems with anything over 182.xx. I also went thru the stats on several people and 182.xx still work with GPUGrid. Several people are still turning in work with them. I dunno if GPUGrid was afraid they would loose too many people or what but 182.xx still seem to work ok.

123bob, just use what works for you for now or until you figure out your KVM problems.

123bob
08-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm also turning in plenty of work with 182.06 on three machines right now. The three machines were already on the grid before the changeover happened. I did nothing to them.

I can't seem to bring up any new machines on that driver though. They all error out their WUs immediately.

On the two machines that I'm running 190.38 with blank screens, they are crunching WUs just fine too.

I did isolate my issue to using the KVM. It must not be passing all the signal lines through. The 190.38 must be using them now and can't figure out what to do without them. It works fine with the DVI/analog adapter going directly to the monitor.

I'll limp along with what I have for a bit in hopes that nVidia sees my post over there and modifies their driver.....

I don't have the 185.xx or 186.xx drivers here. I suppoose I might find them out on the net somewhere. I'd be willing to give one of those a try.

Ultimately, things will work out. There is nothing that can stop determined crunchers like us....:up::yepp::rofl:

Regards,
Bob

Naja002
08-06-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't have the 185.xx or 186.xx drivers here. I suppoose I might find them out on the net somewhere. I'd be willing to give one of those a try.

Hi Bob,

Glad you are slowly getting it narrowed down. KVMs can be a real pita....:down:

Just google: Nvidia (driver #) and OS

Example: Nvidia 185.85 Vista 64

A Nvidia link should show on top or close to it. Just click that one and check the specs....:up:

shadowwind
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
not now im running the 190,xx drivers i changed it last night poppa i got a work unit that said it was going to take 30 hours to finish it that wasn't going to happen and i got lucky and it works all so got the nvidia power management so i was able to fix the throttle down 2D thing in that 3D panel so it is looking good for W7 again.:D

shadowwind
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
whoops sorry the OS is XP64 i changed the W7 with my gts 250s last night.
i just changed the opti over now it seem ok for now and i got the same stuff in the nvidia control panel as i did with W7 so i should be ok:shakes: good lord im getting feeble minded with age:shakes:

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Shadow I go to web sites and then try to remember what I went there for. I might get one of those pet tracking chips embedded so I can find me if I get lost. :rofl:

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Older Nvidia drivers. (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us) Just choose OS and card model in drop down boxes.

[XC] 4X4N
08-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Just use the 185.85 drivers, Bob. I'm using them with 3 rigs and have had very few problems. I was checking my logs today and did see some errored units, but about 99% are fine.

123bob
08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
4X4N;3946717']Just use the 185.85 drivers, Bob. I'm using them with 3 rigs and have had very few problems. I was checking my logs today and did see some errored units, but about 99% are fine.

Thx 4x4, I'll try it out. ...and thanks PG for the link. :up:

Bob

123bob
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
EDIT: WELL THAT DIDN"T LAST LONG....IT IS NOT FIXED. I powered the machine down then back up when it was connected to the KVM and it's the same blank screen again. I must have left the machine on for what I thought was a fix below....

It still comes up if I direct connect though.

I tried swapping in a cheapo ENVISION analog VGA monitor, no luck

I tried 185.85. No love. It still blank screens....I'm crunching with no display, using Boincview again in order to limp along. DANG!!

I hope nvidia is looking at this, I really do.....:END EDIT

I GOT IT WORKING!! :clap::up:

It turned out to be the cable from my KVM to my monitor. It was one of those cheapo cables that doesn't have all the pins. I put in a high grade cable and it took right off. So, now I can have 190.38 running in analog mode through my KVM to my monitor. I just have to go through and weed out the rest of the cheapo cables to my farm rigs.

YIPPEE! :clap::clap::clap::up:

It appears the 190.38 driver is looking for some signaling between the card and monitor. There was a discussion on some signalling called "EDID" on the nVidia forum. That got me thinking down this solution path....

Now I can sleep....

Regards,
Bob

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Grats Bob :woot:

INFRNL
08-06-2009, 07:18 PM
congrats on your success; will have to keep this in mind just in case i run into any problems.

Naja002
08-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I GOT IT WORKING!! :clap::up:

It turned out to be the cable from my KVM to my monitor. It was one of those cheapo cables that doesn't have all the pins. I put in a high grade cable and it took right off. So, now I can have 190.38 running in analog mode through my KVM to my monitor. I just have to go through and weed out the rest of the cheapo cables to my farm rigs.

YIPPEE! :clap::clap::clap::up:

It appears the 190.38 driver is looking for some signaling between the card and monitor. There was a discussion on some signalling called "EDID" on the nVidia forum. That got me thinking down this solution path....

Now I can sleep....

Regards,
Bob

:woot::woot::woot:

Nice Save! :up: :up:

123bob
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Bump to report an edit to post 12.....It ain't fixed.....:(

Bob

Naja002
08-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Damn. :down: So, if I understand correctly, if you reboot the rig--it goes to a blank screen. But if you plug up after the rig is booted--it's ok? Is that with or w/o the KVM?

One thing you may want to try. I went through something like this a couple of months or so ago. What I ended up doing was hooking up my TV via the TV out port. It worked. For some reason that driver was switching my main monitor over to the TV port. Needless to say....I got rid of that driver fast. :yepp:

Just a thought....:up:

123bob
08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes, when I re-boot the machine through the KVM to the monitor, I get a blank screen.

If I connect directly, it comes up normally. Then if I leave the machine running and connect up to through the KVM, it comes up.

I have no tv ports. Just two DVI ports. It's a 260-216.

I hope this is fixed soon....

Bob

123bob
08-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Put up another 260-216 on the grid. Due to the problem I'm having going analog through the KVM, this one is also crunching blind. I'm managing it through Boinview. (And a hearty Thank God for Boincview here...:toast: I just wish the author didn't fall off the planet....) I now have three rigs running this way. This time I tried a leaked beta version 190.56. Still no love through the KVM....

I HOPE nVidia fixes this soon. It's massively annoying me....:mad:

Bob

Paladin
08-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Have you tried changing the multi-display optimization setting? There are three options.

123bob
08-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Please explain this to me more....I can't see the screen to change anything. Can I do this through safe mode?

Direct connect, then go through the KVM?

thx,
Bob

MikeB12
08-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I've run into mutli display fubars before.. I have no idea why it does it, but sometimes mine does that too, and I'm just connected to the same monitor through dvi and vga dual connection for 2 cards. the only way I can usually fix it is:
1. unplug the secondary connection (vga), and just connect the primary display (dvi).
2. kill the power and cold boot it to just the primary.
3. then a standard windows reboot with just the primary display. this sets it as primary only on boot in windows without having to go through the detect on boot windows does.
4. plug the secondary (vga) display in and extend it, so it's not listed as "my main display".
5. do another standard reboot after you get it setup like you want and it sticks.

but anytime I unplug a display, it's a crap shoot on fubarring itself again, and re-identifying the vga as my main display instead of the dvi. so then I have to do the steps all over again. anyway, I try to keep everything plugged in once I get it. and even then sometimes it fubars itself on power outtages.

123bob
08-14-2009, 09:09 PM
@Mike, thx for the tips, I tried some flavors of them to no avail. I only run one monitor, and it only ever sees one. Just for yucks, I even tried switching ports on the cards.

Update to this issue. I've still got it but I know more about tweaking registry keys! :rofl: I tried an EDID override key I found on the net. I tried lots of flavors of this, including copying all the actual EDID bytes from the monitor into the key. No love....:( I've been playing with other keys, to no avail.

I'm starting to become convinced it is a hardcore driver issue with everything from 185.85 to 190.56 beta. 182.xx works fine. The obvious problem here is that 182.xx doesn't support CUDA 2.2..... I THINK the driver is seeing some sort of potential problem and shutting off the video output to protect the hardware.....MAYBE.

I currently have three machines that were running 182.06 before the CUDA upgrade. For some reason, they still run fine. GPUGrid must be sending them WUs they can crunch. I wonder if they will run out or if they are compiling them special for my "special needs" rigs? :rofl:

I have four other rigs running on the farm with the work-around. I boot the machine with the monitor directly connected, turn off the monitor after login, then reconnect through the KVM. So far, no blown hardware doing this but it's a real PITA with the way my racks are shoved against the wall. The other rigs I recently upgraded went to folding since they are low on the racks and not easy to get to the plugs.....

So for those curious, I'm running seven 260-216s, three are mildly overclocked on the Grid. They are producing right around 98k BOINC ppd for a 5 day average. (About 14k each.)

For folding I have;
five 260-216s all overclocked
one 8800 GTX stock
one 8600 GTS stock

Nearly all of these rigs are SLI capable, therefore they have at least two x16 PCIe slots. I also built with honking PSUs, thinking I might need the GPUs someday. Mostly 750 watt Silverstones. An easy upgrade would be to pop in double the cards I'm running now... That was the plan before I hit this snag. I'm going to wait to see if nVidia gets it together before I lay down the cash....:yepp:

I have no alternative to the KVM I have now. I run 12 rigs through it. I can't see any other KVM out there that I'm convinced would work under this situation. (I have a Trendnet TR-1601R)

Any suggestions you guys would have would certainly be appreciated. Hacks look like my only way out if nVidia does not step up.

My best,
Bob

123bob
08-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Update...Tried driver 190.62. No help. Still have a blank screen booting through KVM when it goes past the windows boot bar. :( Hope they fix it soon.

Also, I'm not seeing many errors on my 260-216s running drivers 185.85 through 190.62. The few errors I have (the last was on the 18th) have errored out on the other machines it was sent to as well. Will keep monitoring since I know some of you are having real problems with the 190.xx series. Most of these cards are stock GPU clock, moderate CPU OCs. All Vista 64 bit. Don't know if this has something to do with it.

Regards,
Bob

PoppaGeek
08-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Is there are reason you can not got to a DVI KVM? I SEEM to remember you said it was a VGA KVM. They are expensive but might do it. Also you mentioned cheap cables have you tried cables with a different pin count?

Sorry if you already answered any of this, no reply needed just trying to give ya ideas.

123bob
08-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Tried all the full high grade cables. There must be something the KVM is not passing through.

I'd need a 16 port DVI KVM. I think that's rather spendy and I'm not sure it would work either. There's a few reports on the nvidia forum that lead me to believe that it might not.

In any case, driver 182.50 worked fine. So apparently something got broken at nvidia.

I'll limp along by plugging cables directly in until this gets fixed.

Thx for the suggestions though. :up:

Bob

coo-coo-clocker
08-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I've got a pretty high-end DVI KVM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817791020). Using top notch cables.

I have definitely been seeing some issues with blank screens since moving to 190.38 drivers. It's not bothering me enough yet to fall back, but to be honest I hadn't thought that the drivers could be the cause. I might just roll em back if it keeps happening.