PDA

View Full Version : Car PC - good idea? bad idea? crazy idea? need suggestions

crazydiamond
08-05-2009, 10:42 PM
so i was just browsin the web when i stumbled across this

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/112048-98-blazer-lt-mp915-b-eby701.html

and the first thing i thought, 'i NEED that' :shrug:

so my question is does anyone have any experience with anything like this? i have pretty much the same car except a 2000 but they have identical dash/console - i would want the audio hooked up to my car speakers so i could just play all music/movies off the pc and it comes through the speakers... does this sound possible? and have it all controlled from a touch screen monitor mounted where the stereo was like in that thread.. also, anyone have any suggestions on sff hardware that would work, im afraid hot summer days would be not so good to the hardware

basically any input/suggestions/experiences people have with this would be awesome, if if seems doable, well i think im gonna go for it :yepp:

gOtVoltage
08-05-2009, 11:02 PM
If i didnt jump my F150 so much id do it too lol.

I id make my HD skip on on the first roadtrip up up the Rubicon or down down Palm desert LOL:rofl:

Car PC is pimp ,,DVDs ,,MP3's,,Spreadsheets,, Net,,Order online Pizza while driving,,Oh theres one for CHP.........Califorina .

soundood
08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
crazy as much as i want to help you, this is the wrong forum for it, of course i will help you in PM, i just think you would be much better off signing up to these type of sites, and being a newbie, these guys are very helpful in this kind of thing,

one thing i will say, is that if you go the car pc route, you will need, monitor/PC/AMP/Speakers, so no connecting the speakers right on up to the PC.

if you need help with the sound side of things, give me a PM, ill do the sound design and work out all the requirements for your set up.

crazydiamond
08-06-2009, 08:48 AM

I id make my HD skip on on the first roadtrip up up the Rubicon or down down Palm desert LOL:rofl:

Car PC is pimp ,,DVDs ,,MP3's,,Spreadsheets,, Net,,Order online Pizza while driving,,Oh theres one for CHP.........Califorina .

SSD's?? maybe just for OS then SD's for media?

crazy as much as i want to help you, this is the wrong forum for it, of course i will help you in PM, i just think you would be much better off signing up to these type of sites, and being a newbie, these guys are very helpful in this kind of thing,

one thing i will say, is that if you go the car pc route, you will need, monitor/PC/AMP/Speakers, so no connecting the speakers right on up to the PC.

if you need help with the sound side of things, give me a PM, ill do the sound design and work out all the requirements for your set up.

thanks, i know ill have do much research including signing up over there and asking 100 questions, etc... i was just seeing if anyone knew anything about it before i make the jump - appreciate the offer, ill try to get a better idea of what it all includes and might get back to ya

i really think its time my car gets some AMD love :D

Smartidiot89
08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
About the harddrive issue I think an SSD is a must for a car pc?

zalbard
08-06-2009, 11:14 AM
The first thing that came into my mind was getting a playstation gamepad to control your car instead of a wheel like in MiB 2. Now that would be crazy and extreme! :D

TheBlueChanell
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM

SSD SSD SSD :D

In all serious though that is pretty awesome. I've heard the term "car pc" plenty of times but never bothered to actual look at one. When I get GTI in the fall this is probably one of the first things I'd like to do.

PaganII
08-07-2009, 01:41 AM
If it's just for music a CD player with a USB port is a lot easier and cheaper. Flash drive or laptop hard drive for storage.
When Fusion or similar CPU/GPU combo chips come out a car PC may be more practical due to size.
My ignition module just failed due to heat (104*F for the last 47 days) no warning, just dead.
I'd rather have a laptop I can remove from the car.
Would be fun to play with though.

LIQUIDHERION
08-07-2009, 02:20 AM
http://www.archos.com/

all you need to do is get one of these and mount it someplace. When you leave the vehicle you take it with you so no one can steal it from you.

archos makes all kinds of mini computers all in ones, the only mod you'd have to do is patch the computer to your speakers with an amp.