PDA

View Full Version : A question bout the T3 and D5 pumps

GregSG
08-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi I have a question here.

Let's say I'm gonna get a T3. Should I get the one with the vario D5 pump? Or without the pump?

And if getting a separate D5 pump,

which would be recommended?

Thanks!

Diverge
08-05-2009, 06:37 AM
if you get a T3, you wouldn't be buying or using any of those accessories.

It doesn't matter if you buy it with a pump or not. which ever is cheaper, or you like better.

GregSG
08-05-2009, 06:39 AM
if you get a T3, you wouldn't be buying or using any of those accessories.

It doesn't matter if you buy it with a pump or not. which ever is cheaper, or you like better.

My bad. I get ur meaning :(

Rephrase, should I get a separate pump?

SoulsCollective
08-05-2009, 06:42 AM
The D5 is the D5. There are only two variants - the fixed-speed (forget the Laing name, otherwise known as the MCP655-B), and the Vario (otherwise known as the MCP655). The fixed-speed is identical to the Vario, just locked on setting 4 rather than being variable-speed (duh) - either will see a benefit from being used with the T3. Getting a T3 with a pump included as opposed to getting a T3 and then buying a pump separately will have no bearing on performance - just go with whichever option costs less for you.

As for the accessories, none of them are relevant if you want to use a T3 - you can't use another replacement top, as the T3 is a replacement top, the Black Sparkle kit is merely a cosmetic alteration of the rear half of the pump and doesn't actually help performance at all - and I've heard will interfere with the T3 mounting, meaning you couldn't use it anyway, and the pump mounting bracket is completely useless as the T3 takes care of holding the pump in place, nothing else is necessary.

GregSG
08-05-2009, 06:45 AM
The D5 is the D5. There are only two variants - the fixed-speed (forget the Laing name, otherwise known as the MCP655-B), and the Vario (otherwise known as the MCP655). The fixed-speed is identical to the Vario, just locked on setting 4 rather than being variable-speed (duh) - either will see a benefit from being used with the T3.

As for the accessories, none of them are relevant if you want to use a T3 - you can't use another replacement top, as the T3 is a replacement top, the Black Sparkle kit is merely a cosmetic alteration of the rear half of the pump and doesn't actually help performance at all - and I've heard will interfere with the T3 mounting, meaning you couldn't use it anyway, and the pump mounting bracket is completely useless as the T3 takes care of holding the pump in place, nothing else is necessary.

Yup I totally get that those accessories are very much irrelevant :shrug:

I thought there were other D5 pumps? Or issit under diff brands? :confused::confused:

SoulsCollective
08-05-2009, 06:50 AM
The same pump is sold under two different names. Laing is the original manufacturer, and sells the pump under the name D5 or D5 Vario. Swiftech essentially buys Laing pumps, and resells them as the MCP655-B or MCP655. Exact same pump, made in the same factory.

millertime359
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
The same pump is sold under two different names. Laing is the original manufacturer, and sells the pump under the name D5 or D5 Vario. Swiftech essentially buys Laing pumps, and resells them as the MCP655-B or MCP655. Exact same pump, made in the same factory.

Danger Den and Koolance also sell some too. Once again, they are all Laing D5s. The only option you have is the speed control version, or the non-vario version.

If you are will to spend the extra money, just get the speed control verison. If not, the non-vario works plenty fine as that is the one I got :up:

SoulsCollective
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Danger Den and Koolance also sell some too. Once again, they are all Laing D5sorly? Thanks for the correction, I've never seen a Koolance/DD branded D5 - but that's probably because Koolance and DD are practically unknown in Aus :p:

millertime359
08-05-2009, 05:04 PM
orly? Thanks for the correction, I've never seen a Koolance/DD branded D5 - but that's probably because Koolance and DD are practically unknown in Aus :p:

Yea, I got my non-vario from Danger Den. I wanted the RPM sensor wire, and at the time, it was the only one I saw that had it. ;)

I also did a quick search on PPC to be certain the Koolance version is still out and it there. Seems it is the speed control version too.

Danger Den has both.

It seems both Koolance's and Danger Den's pump cost a little more that the Swifty version though. :shrug: