PDA

View Full Version : On the Grid again

PoppaGeek
08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Got new EVGA GTX 260 216 in today. Turned out to be an overclocked edition. Had some stupid problems getting up and going but seems to be doing ok on 190.38.

I am afraid the heat from 2 of these is going to be too much. May have to try da Gooses secret sauce on other one and get 190.38 working there as F@H is running 9 degrees C hotter.

Card is re-certified but looks new, came in white box with nothing else. Not bad for $130.

:toast:

shadowwind
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
umm tell me that secret sauce is safe and and there is no side affects like HONK HONK??????? we wouldn't want you to try and take flight poppa:rofl:

good to hear your back up and running again poppa :up:

123bob
08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Got new EVGA GTX 260 216 in today. Turned out to be an overclocked edition. Had some stupid problems getting up and going but seems to be doing ok on 190.38.

I am afraid the heat from 2 of these is going to be too much. May have to try da Gooses secret sauce on other one and get 190.38 working there as F@H is running 9 degrees C hotter.

Card is re-certified but looks new, came in white box with nothing else. Not bad for $130.

Any tricks to share on getting 190.38 working?

I'm having a heck of a time on a stock 260-216 XFX card I just got. The screen goes blank after reboot when installing 190.38. I can't seem to get an earlier driver to quit sending up errors on grid. They fail right away in BOINC 6.6.36

Bob

PoppaGeek
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
1- I shut down Boinc...6.6.36
2- I go to device manager and uninstall GPU's and check to Uninstall Drivers
3- I go to root and delete Nvidia folder
4- Reboot and let XP / Vista / Win7 do what it's gotta do
5- Reboot again and load da 190's
6- Reboot last time and run BOINC.

So far this seems to be working. I guess using the Nvidia uninstaller does not get something. Deleting the device thru Windows gets something it doesn't. I also ran Driver Sweeper before I installed new driver and it did find 3 things.

123bob
08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Not much luck here....:(

What I'm seeing is that 190.38 installs, on 260-216s, I let it reboot, then when it gets past the point of the little windows boot bar in the bottom of the screen, the screen goes blank and stays blank. (normally you see a mouse cursor on a blank screen here for a few seconds...)

I'm running a VGA samsung monitor through a DVI adapter. Are you running DVI to your monitor? It's like it's turning off the monitor.

The curious part is that if I log on blind, the machine shows up on Boinview (on another machine) and I can control it that way. I even attached to GPUGrid and I'm crunching away....I can shut down blind two. I copied the key strokes from another machine to do it.

Obviously, this is not an acceptable way to run. There must be something jacked up with the nVidia driver. :shrug::mad:

I followed your instructions exactly, including the driversweeper step.

I'm seeing this on two different machines. Both behave exactly the same.

What I can't explain is the original BFG 260-216s I have running on the grid have been doing fine with the drivers right off the CD they came with some months ago. They appear to have gone right through the CUDA 2.2 upgrade with no effort on my part....:confused:

It's a mystery to me right now...

Bob

PoppaGeek
08-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Wow I dunno, yes using DVI hooked up to a Samsung and LG LCDs. Does the MB have onboard video? IGP? If yes is bios set to use PCI??

OldChap
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
From the blank screen.....unplug your monitor from it's current output on gfx ....and plug into alternate socket?. at one point I had to swap the monitor and dummy plugs to see a screen.

123bob
08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I'll try a couple of things in the morning. I highly suspect the VGA/DVI possibility. I have to dig up a DVI cable and drag a DVI capable monitor out to the farm.

I'm encouraged that PG reports using DVI. I'm on VGA with the DVI adapter.

IIRC, the point where the screen goes blank is where the op sys starts using setting from your config. The stuff before is generic VGA.....or so I think....:slobber:

Perhaps this driver shuts off VGA operation? Could it be that stupid? If so, we need to get that :nutkick: smiley we stole from TPU back in the arsenal. I'll be using it, directed at nVidia......

Thx,
Bob

123bob
08-04-2009, 10:55 PM
OH JIMINY CRIPERS!!!!

I attached a DVI monitor to the rig and it came right up.....@#%W%% jerk %%$&%$$##*(&^%$#@!mother@#$%^&**$%^%&@!@!~&** at nVidia!!!

I also played with the bios parameter to initialize PCI or PCIe first and it made no difference....

I have to have VGA working on the farm. I have a 16 port VGA KVM.

We'll need to spread this finding all over the place. SO many folks are having trouble with it. Even on the nVidia forum.

I knew I would not be able to sleep without knowing this. Now it's off to bed.

Regards,
Bob

PoppaGeek
08-05-2009, 03:17 PM
2 valid WUs :rehab:

:rofl:

PoppaGeek
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
This overclocked 260 with 216 shaders seems no faster than the 260 at stock and 192 shaders. But it DOES work and I see that as a plus.:rofl:

In LOTRO and GPUGrid I see no difference in performance. Makes me wonder if it is really worth the costs to OC them.