PDA

View Full Version : Best reservoir? Or reservoir/pump combo?

Jon K
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I am going to piece together a new kit for my new pc. I have a 3x120 swiftech rad left over from last build, a d-tek fusion block, and a thermaltake pump/res combo that I want to replace with something better.

I'd like a res. with good volume - I figure I can get more water in there and have the water heat soak slower. I like the dangerden cylinder one but its kind of awkward to mount and I am considering a 5.25" bay res. Does anyone have a 5.25 bay res that they like? I figure a dual bay one should be enough volume - I like the PremoChill one with the pump built in but it doesn't seem to be out yet.

What can you guys recommend?

kinghong1970
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
a thermaltake pump/res combo that I want to replace with something better.

well, good news is... you can't get any lower...

DDC 3.2 / 3.25 if you don't have much room...
D5 with T3 res seems to be interesting for a dual bay... mind you that you may need to make adjustments to your case if it has those support brackets under each bay...

as for reservoir, it's just a matter of taste... really... XSPC res tops are nice... so are EK's version of it... both works with DDC3.2x pumps with a aftermarket top.

standalone EK res are always a beauty to look at...

then there's Swifty's good ol MCRes...

again, it's a matter of taste really...

Blizzy
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
EK res + DDC 3.25 with XSPC top or D5 + EK top

Or

D5 + T3

:D

astrodanco
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
DDC + XSPC res top + undesigns mount.

Or if you're looking for a 5.25" bay version, DDC + XSPC bay res (which can handle two DDCs and two loops if you don't mind commingling their fluids in the res, but you can also use it with just one DDC).

millertime359
08-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Unless you only run your comp for short periods at a time, the size of your res won't make any difference.

As for 5.25 bay res' The D5 with T3 is great because it allows you alot of different options with the dual loop mode. The major downside to the T3 is the mounting in certain cases. If you case has the tabs that the drive rests on, those need to be bent out of the to mount the T3.

The DDC XSPC dual bay res is suppose to be great too. In some case, it seems to be slightly easier to mount than the T3, and still performs well. The major downside to it that I see is the need for 2 DDC pumps to be able to run dual loops. The T3 only needs the one D5.

Tests are still in the works putting those 2 up against each other, but seems people have been happy either way. :up:

As for a regular res, you can't go wrong with any of the ones kinghong linked. The EK tops and restops seem to be out performing the XSPC atm. They offer more flow, which won't necessarily net you lower temps, so either one is just fine.

exemay
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
well, good news is... you can't get any lower...

LOL yet another epic quote..... soo good, and soo true!

Im running two DCC 18W's and they work like a dream, go with the XSPC res-top if u want, or EK's multi-option resivoirs, either work fantastically

Martinm210
08-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm going to go with the Swiftech MicroRES

Every other reservoir or pump/reservoir I've played with has had relatively poor ability to bleed air out of the system.

I tend to be a T-line user for alot of loops, but I do like the easy operation of the little swifty I have on my GPU loop.

ridney
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I'd like a res. with good volume - I figure I can get more water in there and have the water heat soak slower.

off topic: don't you want to get the majority of the water into the radiator instead? this is what made me decide to get a monsta, it has about 1.3L of water in the rad and so it would have a little bit more time to cool than the res, IMHO.

Scubar
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
XSPC Dual DDC Bay Rervoir. Ive just got one recently and its a fantastic piece of kit.

pika198
08-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Try out the XSPC Dual Bay Pump/Res. For $40-$80 (depending on location/retailer) it is a solid unit that is rated at 750 LPH. Only problem is it takes up 2 CD/DVD slots, but it is neat to see the water moving if you only see the front of your computer case. I have also used the XSPC Single Bay Pump/Res for a single chipset and 120mm radiator loop. Was very impressed with the near silent pump, the flow, and the ability to keep up with my MCP350 (No after market top).

Shlomo
08-05-2009, 12:18 AM
off topic: don't you want to get the majority of the water into the radiator instead? this is what made me decide to get a monsta, it has about 1.3L of water in the rad and so it would have a little bit more time to cool than the res, IMHO.

Well no, the idea is that a high volume res would mean it takes longer for your coolant to reach its "operating temperature" so to speak. However, for anyone that leaves their system on more than a few hours at a time, it really doesn't matter if the res is .6L or .2L.

Also, i'm going to second MartinM on the Swiftech Microres. It is small, doesn't hold much coolant, but it is a real beast at bleeding and just pure performance. You can put em' anywhere and they get the job done magnificently. I have a v1 and am pleased with it, and the v2's are even nicer. The v2's come with the fillport/top port already tapped to g1/4 so you can put in a barb and run a line to a fillport on top of your case, and it comes with another port on the bottom tapped g1/4 for anything from temp sensors to a different outlet. The mounting hardware for it is also a rather sexy chrome.

ridney
08-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Well no, the idea is that a high volume res would mean it takes longer for your coolant to reach its "operating temperature" so to speak. However, for anyone that leaves their system on more than a few hours at a time, it really doesn't matter if the res is .6L or .2L.

and high volume rad does not? if say you have 1GPM flowrate and your rad can hold about 1.3L then you have approximately ~20 seconds to cool off the coolant in your rad instead of soaking it in the res with no heat transfer happening.

Jon K
08-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Try out the XSPC Dual Bay Pump/Res. For $40-$80 (depending on location/retailer) it is a solid unit that is rated at 750 LPH. Only problem is it takes up 2 CD/DVD slots, but it is neat to see the water moving if you only see the front of your computer case. I have also used the XSPC Single Bay Pump/Res for a single chipset and 120mm radiator loop. Was very impressed with the near silent pump, the flow, and the ability to keep up with my MCP350 (No after market top).

can you link me to this pump/res? i am in the us

astrodanco
08-05-2009, 06:25 AM
can you link me to this pump/res? i am in the us
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/dubayreforla.html

Jon K
08-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Thank you astrodanco -

Does sidewinder have the right pump for it?

Is Swiftech MCP355 12v DC Pump correct?

astrodanco
08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Does sidewinder have the right pump for it?

Yes. It'll accept one or two 350s or 355s, your choice. I have just a single 355 on mine.

Sidewinders has the 355 in stock: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swiftechmcp355.html

Newegg has the 350 if you want one of those: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108063&Tpk=mcp350

Is Swiftech MCP355 12v DC Pump correct?Yes.

Don't forget fittings. Either Bits Power barbs or compressions are good and inexpensive at sidewinders.

Mabyboi
08-05-2009, 07:27 AM
well, good news is... you can't get any lower..

i laughed at that.

I say get yourself a custom rez from our friend FrozenQ and go for the swiftech mcp655 :D

cant go wrong :yepp:

Waterlogged
08-05-2009, 07:35 AM

This is not the res pika198 was talking about.

These are:

http://www.frozencpu.com/search.html?mv_profile=keyword_search&mv_session_id=xMqgPVy9&searchspec=xspc+bay+reservoir+pump+combo&go.x=14&go.y=13

If your running anything even slightly restrictive, you'll be better off looking for a different setup. Personally, I wouldn't touch either with a 40' pole as they lack any kind of real head pressure.

Jon K
08-05-2009, 07:41 AM
So what should I get?

Petra
08-05-2009, 07:49 AM

Every other reservoir or pump/reservoir I've played with has had relatively poor ability to bleed air out of the system.

I tend to be a T-line user for alot of loops, but I do like the easy operation of the little swifty I have on my GPU loop.

I'll second this... plus, you can stuff a micro res pretty much anywhere in a case (can even velcro it to the inside of a case panel :up: )

astrodanco
08-05-2009, 07:52 AM
This is not the res pika198 was talking about.

These are:

Ouch, I would NOT recommend either one of THOSE.

Waterlogged
08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Well, you really can't go wrong with the Swiftech micro-res but if your interested in a bay res that doesn't have a pump and doesn't suck, look at DD's offering.

http://www.dangerden.com/store/danger-den-dual-5-1-4-bay-reservoir.html

As for pumps, I personally prefer DDC's but in your case, I don't think a D5 would hurt you either. .it's your choice though.

Ouch, I would NOT recommend either one of THOSE.

:D That's why I said I wouldn't touch either of them with a 40' pole. :fact:

Jon K
08-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Is the T3 worth it? What about this:

Waterlogged
08-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Is the T3 worth it? What about this:

Both are fine for what they do, personally, I'm not crazy about the black face on the XSPC. . .cheapens the look of the res IMO.

leo_bsb
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
XSPC res/top hands down is the best DDC reservoir.

Great performance, will bleed like in 12 hours and you save space using the same spot that keeps your pump in place.

My swiftech micro res is getting dust on the shelf ;)

Laine
08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
And if it's time to clean it out you just.. oh wait, you can't..

From what I read anyways. :rolleyes:

NaeKuh
08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
You would need to piece it.. but this is about as best as it gets for your wants.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Miyuki/IMG_1334.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Miyuki/IMG_1335.jpg

Or something simular....

Uses the best class DDC Top, meant for serial tho...

If your going paralell, the T3 might be a better solution...

millertime359
08-05-2009, 02:55 PM
And if it's time to clean it out you just.. oh wait, you can't..

From what I read anyways. :rolleyes:

Can say that about a few res' out there though. I'm certain it can be cleaned, just might take a little extra work.

edit: nice Naekuh :up: