PDA

View Full Version : Some ?s about HeatKiller LT

slim142
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I would like some questions answered about this block before I change it.

1) is it worth changing a D-tek FuZion V2 to a Heatkiller 3.0 LT?
2) What is the difference between LT and LC?
3) Which one is the inlet and outlet on the Heatkiller blocks?

The main reason why Im not getting the copper version is because it wont match my motherboard/blocks (colors) and the price difference is kinda high. So I decided to go for the LT, but before that, I want to make sure if it will be worth it.

3Z3VH
08-04-2009, 08:40 AM
1) is it worth changing a D-tek FuZion V2 to a Heatkiller 3.0 LT?
2) What is the difference between LT and LC?
3) Which one is the inlet and outlet on the Heatkiller blocks?

1) HK 3.0LT will be a degree or two cooler than your Fuzion, and will offer less restriction in your loop. Up to you whether the difference is worth it.
2) LT has the stainless steel accent on the top, and the block itself has more fins, so it is slightly more restrictive than the LC, but offers better cooling. The LC is roughly the same cooling potential as your current Fuzion v2 block.
3) The Center thread is the inlet, while the bottom thread is the outlet. People have run them the opposite way, and said they didn't notice a decrease in performance, but they are not utilizing the impingement plate when they run it backwards, so they are not using it to their full potential.

astrodanco
08-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Correct up down right left installation orientation may also be important for best results. If you search this forum you'll find a post where one of the regular more scientific tester type guys reports on his cpu block orientation tests for several cpu blocks, the Heatkiller included.

slim142
08-04-2009, 09:06 AM
1) HK 3.0LT will be a degree or two cooler than your Fuzion, and will offer less restriction in your loop. Up to you whether the difference is worth it.
2) LT has the stainless steel accent on the top, and the block itself has more fins, so it is slightly more restrictive than the LC, but offers better cooling. The LC is roughly the same cooling potential as your current Fuzion v2 block.
3) The Center thread is the inlet, while the bottom thread is the outlet. People have run them the opposite way, and said they didn't notice a decrease in performance, but they are not utilizing the impingement plate when they run it backwards, so they are not using it to their full potential.

1) I see, besides the extra degress, It will match my system.

2) Ok, got that. I also expected the LC to be less efficient since it cost less.

3) Well in my case, I really need the center to be the inlet since the tube will come from the mosfet. So if I use the center as inlet, no need to change or add anything right? (Unlike the Fuzion which needed the quad insert)

Also, is the backplate included? If not, should I buy it?
Finally, I saw this at sidewinders, doesnt this come with the block already?
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hk775mount.html

Correct up down right left installation orientation may also be important for best results. If you search this forum you'll find a post where one of the regular more scientific tester type guys reports on his cpu block orientation tests for several cpu blocks, the Heatkiller included.

I will be using it the "regular" way
This is on a Striker II Extreme mounted vertically (like most cases). Heatkiller block will be mount so the HEATKILLER word is mounted paraller to the motherboard (outlet closer to the north bridge).

Dont know if this is the most efficient, but since its the most common way to mount the block, Im planning on doing so. Besides, I have to like I said, before the water comes to the CPU, it will pass through the mosfets (left mosfet->top mosfet->cpu block).

3Z3VH
08-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Center inlet is the way it is supposed to be, so you should be fine.

As for the backplate, it does not come with the block. If you plan to overclock, and thus, need a nice tight mount, I would say you should buy it. The alternative is you risk bending or cracking your board from overtightening the screws.

If you buy the 775 version of the block, it will already have the correct mounting plate. Sidewinders sells that mounting kit for those who bought the 1366 block and need to mount it to a 775 processor.

The Striker II should allow you to mount it vertically just fine. The only board I know of that you have to do a horizontal mount is the Gigabyte, because the capacitors get in the way of the block so it never contacts the die fully.

slim142
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Center inlet is the way it is supposed to be, so you should be fine.

As for the backplate, it does not come with the block. If you plan to overclock, and thus, need a nice tight mount, I would say you should buy it. The alternative is you risk bending or cracking your board from overtightening the screws.

If you buy the 775 version of the block, it will already have the correct mounting plate. Sidewinders sells that mounting kit for those who bought the 1366 block and need to mount it to a 775 processor.

The Striker II should allow you to mount it vertically just fine. The only board I know of that you have to do a horizontal mount is the Gigabyte, because the capacitors get in the way of the block so it never contacts the die fully.

Thanks for this answer, really helpful

Yeah, I plan to overclock so I guess I should also get the backplate (wont go too hard with the screws haha)

Ok got that, only buy the block and backplate.
But now that you mention this, would it be a good idea to get the 1366 version with the 775 mounting kit? Isnt the 1366 bigger so I get more surface area for my 775 cpu?
Im just asking, I would still feel better by getting the right size block, but just want to get that out of my mind.

3Z3VH
08-04-2009, 11:27 AM
The block is identical whether you buy the 1366 or 775 version. The only part that changes is the 4-point mounting plate that surrounds the block.

If you plan to upgrade to the i7 any time in the next couple months, it would be a good idea to get the 1366 with a 775 kit, otherwise, I would just get the 775.

slim142
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
I dont plan on upgrading to i7 anytime soon so I will just stick to 775. If I change my mind, I would just need the 1366 bracket which seems to be in stock and in most places.

Thanks again for your help. Really helpful :D

Humminn55
08-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I dont plan on upgrading to i7 anytime soon so I will just stick to 775. If I change my mind, I would just need the 1366 bracket which seems to be in stock and in most places.

Thanks again for your help. Really helpful :D

I think you're confusing the backplate for the 775-to-1366 conversion with the mounting conversion kit, which is hard to locate.

The backplate: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hk1366plate.html

The 775-to-1366 mounting conversion kit: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/hk1366mount.html

Note that you need both to convert a Socket 775 HK 3.0 to work on a 1366 motherboard.....and the conversion kit is HARD to find.

slim142
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Hmmm

Not like I need the 1366 kit and bracket right now, but hopefully there will be plenty of supply in the future. Thanks for the info, will surely keep an eye on how the stock for those items go.

Capt Proton
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Hmmm

Not like I need the 1366 kit and bracket right now, but hopefully there will be plenty of supply in the future. Thanks for the info, will surely keep an eye on how the stock for those items go.

Not only that, but, it really doesn't look like 1366 is going to last much longer than the 754.

Oberon
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM

As a small correction, the HK 3.0 is much MORE restrictive than the Fuzion.

slim142
08-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Not only that, but, it really doesn't look like 1366 is going to last much longer than the 754.

Why is that? Isnt westmere and clarksdale going to be 1366 too?

But isnt the HK still better choice?

MpG
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM
You seen the leaked Intel roadmaps? Unless there's some new development, I think we're expecting 32nm parts to fit into LGA1366 at the very least. Nothing wrong with a $10-15 bracket lasting that long.

alejo
08-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Really? HESmelaugh's test had the Fuzion at 1.7 GPM vs 1.68 for the HK 3.0. Pretty much equal.
The HK LC beat the Fuzion V2 in terms of flow.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224976

slim142
08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Really? HESmelaugh's test had the Fuzion at 1.7 GPM vs 1.68 for the HK 3.0. Pretty much equal.
The HK LC beat the Fuzion V2 in terms of flow.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224976

Interesting chart
Is the HK 3.0 LC the one that loses pretty bad when it comes to flow but it beats the Fuzion in temps by 2 degrees.

Since I will be getting the LT, flow will be OK (same as Fuzion V2) and temps should be between the copper and LC so that would be more than fine.

Capt Proton
08-05-2009, 12:58 AM
You seen the leaked Intel roadmaps? Unless there's some new development, I think we're expecting 32nm parts to fit into LGA1366 at the very least. Nothing wrong with a $10-15 bracket lasting that long.
OK, I haven't been following closely enough I guess. Good news for those that have taken the plunge. Thanks for letting us know.
My apologies if my post misled anyone.