PDA

View Full Version : Primochill Typhoon III, How do I fit in case

Bodkin
08-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi, how am I ment to fit this in my case, if the little metal platforms the cd drives sit on are in the way. Do I need to cut them out? I am hesitent to do this on my brand new Obsidia 800D! If I do need to cut them out, is there any recommneded way?

viper2004
08-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Bend them out of the way

iandh
08-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi, how am I ment to fit this in my case, if the little metal platforms the cd drives sit on are in the way. Do I need to cut them out? I am hesitent to do this on my brand new Obsidia 800D! If I do need to cut them out, is there any recommneded way?

This is one of the flaws in the design that Coolmeister pointed out in his mini review, luckily with what I know about injection molding dies it should be very possible for the factory to add in a groove on each side to accomodate for this. If you are worried about cutting your case and you haven't gotten the res wet yet, I would consider returning it and waiting for a second revision with the grooves added in. I haven't heard for sure that there will be a second revision, but I think it is very possible being that many cases have those tabs and not everyone may feel comforatble about bending/cutting them.

millertime359
08-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I just used a hammer and screwdriver to bend them out of the way. If you are careful, you can bend them back again. I know, it sucks. I have mentioned it to BoxGods as have some others. There isn't much he can do now though. :(

edit: iandh got me right as I posted. Talking to BoxGods, it doesn't seem it is possible to do that, and seems a rev 2.0 might be a while. Could you confirm this though Gino? I hate to give out bad info.

Bodkin
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Ok, cheers for the info, thats a pretty big oversight I think... anyone now of any dual bay resivous that do have groves?

millertime359
08-01-2009, 11:39 AM
It was, but it still not worth over looking the T3 just because of that issue. I like mine. It is a breeze to fill. It doesn't look bad. Once those faceplates come out, I think it will look sweet. :up: It also cleans the case up nicely and performs well. I would still recommend it even with the installation flaws.

Bodkin
08-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Just seen this, simular but with the groves and can hold 2 pumps http://www.xspc.biz/ddcdualbayres.php

Bodkin
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh wait, thats ddc :(

Edit, might get one and a ddc, they seem nice, which is best for a single cpu loop, the ultra or pro?

Scubar
08-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Ive just setup the Dual DDC Bay Res today with a single DDC. its a truly fantastic piece of kit.

Bodkin
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Cool so its woth investing in it and a ddc, any recomendation for which pump to get with a single apogee gtz se?

millertime359
08-01-2009, 02:00 PM
MPC355 is just fine for that. The main difference I see between those 2 is the fact that you need 2 pumps to do dual loops where T3 you only need one. If you are only planning on running one loop, than that is not an issue. It is also suppose to be easier to mount and it has dedicated holes for LEDs , if that is your thing.

The one thing that I think that is also a big difference between the 2 is filling. That dual DDC one has a top mounted fill port, means you have to have a little slack in the tubes so it can be slid out to fill. (unless you get so sort of fillport access installed ;)) The T3 has this nifty front mounted fill port. If you have a regular full tower case, it is a breeze to fill. If you have one of those MM cube coffee table type cases, it kind of sucks.

Just a few things to think about. Each has thier own up sides and down sides. It's just a matter of you deciding which ones are more important to you :up:

HoosTrax
08-02-2009, 05:11 AM
I had to cut the tabs in one of my drive bays out as well. These types of cases with the drive tabs (Coolermaster ones, for the most part?) aren't exactly rare :shrug:, considering the percentage of people who have gotten T3 here that have had to mod their cases to accommodate them.

Altspacen
08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
If you're not willing to cut into your case to accommodate for watercooling then you need to admit that you'll never achieve your highest goals. I cut my tabs out before I knew if I needed to do so or not. Granted, I had the itch to cut something out since my last setup didn't need anything.

Though if you're not going to use the 2 loops I don't see a reason to utilize the T3 res.

millertime359
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
You don't need to cut the tabs, just use a hammer and screwdriver and bend them out of the way. If you take your time, you won't damage them and can re bend them out if you decided to change something up.