PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a flow sensor that will?

Airbrushkid
08-01-2009, 01:06 AM
Is there such a thing as a flow sensor that will shut a computer off when it detects there is no water flowing from the pump?

RADCOM
08-01-2009, 01:23 AM
I use the sensor hub accessory that bolts onto the Mcubed BigNG. Many here argue that this is unecessary as modern chips have thermal cut outs.

ascl
08-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Most bios also have a shutdown option if the CPU reaches a certain temp. Wont help your GPU loop, however you can make rivatuner do something similar.

MpG
08-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Not strictly needed, but THIS (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=740) as an option, as it converts its flow readings into rpm numbers, so if the flow goes to zero, so does the rpm signal, which you can use to trigger the motherboard's shutdown.

Airbrushkid
08-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Thank you for that.

Not strictly needed, but THIS (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=740) as an option, as it converts its flow readings into rpm numbers, so if the flow goes to zero, so does the rpm signal, which you can use to trigger the motherboard's shutdown.

Ketzer7
08-01-2009, 07:01 AM
I thought some of the DDC and D5 pumps already had RPM leads on them that could be connected to a mobo fan header, no?

If so, as mentioned, most BIOSes also have the option of having the computer shutdown or start alarming if you configure that particular header to trigger if the RPM drops below a certain threshold.

I thought that's what most people were doing for a failsafe, but if not, then, yeah, that Koolance flow sensor looks to be able to do the trick.

astrodanco
08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I thought some of the DDC and D5 pumps already had RPM leads on them that could be connected to a mobo fan header, no?

If so, as mentioned, most BIOSes also have the option of having the computer shutdown or start alarming if you configure that particular header to trigger if the RPM drops below a certain threshold.

I thought that's what most people were doing for a failsafe, but if not, then, yeah, that Koolance flow sensor looks to be able to do the trick.You can apparently still have situations where you have an acceptable RPM signal from the pump while getting no water flow to the CPU block itself.

I leave my water cooled machine turned on 24/7. It is unattended much of the time. I use pump RPMs, a flow meter, a water temperature sensor, and multiple ambient temperature sensors; any one of which going out of acceptable range will force a hardware shutdown.

Hackwerx
09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Astrodanco, which flow meter do you use?

I leave my water cooled machine turned on 24/7. It is unattended much of the time. I use pump RPMs, a flow meter, a water temperature sensor, and multiple ambient temperature sensors; any one of which going out of acceptable range will force a hardware shutdown.

I'm curious as I'm beginning another overly expensive, unnecessarily capable system and my habits are similar to yours in that I leave the thing running almost 24x7.

Thanks,
-HW

CodeNinja
09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Sounds like Astro is using a T-Balancer bigNG with the analogue extension. Considering going that route myself when I start putting my liquid case together. The air cooling experiment, after 6 months, is a dismally loud failure. :(

voigts
09-21-2009, 12:41 PM
My former and current Gigabyte MBs don't have a shutdown feature. They have an alarm, but what good would that do if no one is home at the time. The CPUs have an internal shutdown, but by the time the CPU shuts down the GPU could be cooked. It is for this concern that I went with dual pumps in serial on my current setup so that things keep running in the rare event that one dies. I am seriously thinking about getting that Koolance flow sensor though finding some software that will shut down the PC. I too would like a good solution for this as the only things i am aware of that can be setup to do this are Rivatuner and Speedfan, neither of which I use often.

Especially since Koolance sells that flowmeter, it would be nice if they (or someone) would write a piece of software that would shut down or hibernate the PC in the event that flow drops below a given threshold.

astrodanco
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Astrodanco, which flow meter do you use?
For now I'm using a Koolance INS-FM17 connected to a Koolance TMS-200 board. The TMS-200 has a hardware shutdown lead. It also runs my fans, pump and some temperature sensors. It works, but I personally cannot in good conscience recommend it (nor any of the other comparable products unfortunately).

meanmoe
09-22-2009, 04:41 AM

My DDCs do, my D5 (mcp655) does not - I just got the D5 and was kind of disappointed about this. 4' power cable but nothing for the fan header.

Equinediver
09-22-2009, 05:41 AM
For now I'm using a Koolance INS-FM17 connected to a Koolance TMS-200 board. The TMS-200 has a hardware shutdown lead. It also runs my fans, pump and some temperature sensors. It works, but I personally cannot in good conscience recommend it (nor any of the other comparable products unfortunately).

Just looked at the TMS-200, as the Koolance 450 pump is a D5, do you know if this will run with any D5?

I've also been reading on the Aquaero, as I am trying to find a way to at least get an alarm to go off if the temp of the water goes over a certain level.

astrodanco
09-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Just looked at the TMS-200, as the Koolance 450 pump is a D5, do you know if this will run with any D5?
Yes, it'll run any DDC or D5. All your need is a $1.99 CBL-CTR103P (http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=758) or equivalent 3-4pin Molex Power Adapter.

Computurd
09-22-2009, 10:18 AM
thermal switch will BSOD it anyways

astrodanco
09-22-2009, 02:33 PM
thermal switch will BSOD it anywaysA BSOD would not be good. A BSOD is not a shutdown. Are you positive that you can you guarantee a nice quick total hardware shutdown before any damage of any sort occurs?

genec57
09-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Real Temp has a shutdown capability. You simply set the temp that you want as shutdown and if your processor reaches it your system will shutdown. Real Temp is also free.

voigts
09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Real Temp has a shutdown capability. You simply set the temp that you want as shutdown and if your processor reaches it your system will shutdown. Real Temp is also free.

I didn't realize that Realtemp has that built in. Thanks for mentioning it.

astrodanco
09-22-2009, 10:25 PM
+1

I had forgotten about that!