PDA

View Full Version : which way pump to water block or radiator to water block

Airbrushkid
07-30-2009, 03:36 AM
which way pump to water block then radiator or radiator to water block then pump?

articu
07-30-2009, 03:59 AM
i have it pump > cpu > nb > rad > res > pump

i'm pretty sure it doesn't matter

tubing length will have a greater impact than the pump being before or after the rad

*commence wc vet's to slate me :)

Vapor
07-30-2009, 04:06 AM
In my tests, it made no difference: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225485

Res/T-line before the pump is the only "rule"....just route everything else as it's shortest or most aesthetically pleasing :)

(if you want that last tiny bit of performance, put the rad before the block--but it's a difference you will not notice)

Holst
07-30-2009, 04:19 AM
Best to go with the neatest and shortest tubing runs.

If you have a big temperature differential over the rad then you need a bigger rad!! so it shouldnt make any practical difference.

Airbrushkid
07-30-2009, 05:00 AM
May I ask why the shortest?

Vapor
07-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Shortest tubing = lower restriction = higher flowrates :)

rambler358
07-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Shortest tubing = lower restriction = higher flowrates :)
Don't know if this has been answered somewhere else - but does using longer tubing have the ability for slightly better cooling? I know the restriction will be higher though.

fallwind
07-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Not unless you are using copper tubing. ;) Normal tubing made of PVC, vinyl, rubber, etc act as insulators and don't transfer heat out of the coolant very well at all.

millertime359
07-31-2009, 03:03 AM
It will also have to much longer and sent somewhere that the heat can be absorbed from it. ie your backyard, a chiller, etc.

ANother good reason to try to use shortest tubeing possible is that it costs less and tons of tubing in a case can restict airflow and doesn't really look good. :up:

Holst
07-31-2009, 04:05 AM
Not unless you are using copper tubing. ;) Normal tubing made of PVC, vinyl, rubber, etc act as insulators and don't transfer heat out of the coolant very well at all.

I made a rad out of copper tubing once and it was rubbish.