PDA

View Full Version : Are You Ready for the CUDA 2.2 Upgrade?

Naja002
07-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Ok, Folks, Gpugrid is getting ready to upgrade the app from CUDA 2.0 to CUDA 2.2--on Thurs, I believe.

This will require Drivers 185.xx and up. I don't believe that this is an "opt-in" thing. I think it's going to effect everyone, so your drivers need to be upgraded.

CUDA2.2 for Windows- Driver 185.xx-190.xx (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1230)

Nvidia 190.38, Cuda 2.3 (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1211&nowrap=true#11358)

Growing pains......:rolleyes:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f347/Naja002/Smilies/fingerscrossed-1-1.jpg

Gamekiller
07-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Shouldn't everyone be using the latest drivers anyways? I find them all to work fine... picky people. :p:

Anyways, does anyone know if this will help performance?

123bob
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
As I posted at WCG, I had to shut down with the heat wave we are having here. So, by Thursday, it will give me a chance to make sure I'm up to speed.

Thx for the heads-up

Bob

PoppaGeek
07-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Shouldn't everyone be using the latest drivers anyways? I find them all to work fine... picky people. :p:

Anyways, does anyone know if this will help performance?

How about picky software or picky drivers. I really do not care what drivers I use but I want stability and I had a hard time getting there. Glad things worked out well for you others here have had a hard time getting things to work.

If this breaks things I am not spending another 2 weeks to get to work.

Gamekiller
07-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I think you took it a bit more serious than I meant it but of course I could understand if you'd had a lot of problems.

I've never had driver problems with f@h or gpugrid.. I just keep them up to date.

PoppaGeek
07-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I have one game I play and then there is GPUGrid. They do not like the same drivers. 182.50 is the only one they both like. It took a long time and many install, uninstall, driver sweeper, install, crash. Repeat over and over to get them both happy. It has not been 2 weeks of no crashes. CUDA 2.2 might actually fix what ever the problem was and things might be better. But I do not feel like going thru all that again. If there are problems instead of getting another GTX 260 I'll just get the 4870 I have wanted and game on it and put the 260 on a linux box.

123bob
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Which game? Just curious. I'm still addicted to Civ II. I can't help it...:rofl:

Let me start out by saying I understand the frustration this thing we call DC can bring... I think with the horsepower we have on the forum, we should be able to work out your particular issues. I had many problems at first with GPUGrid, some of them were my fault, most were not.

I made the choice to stick in there and pay the price for coming early to a half-baked project, with half-baked drivers and half-baked applications.

What I'm surprised by is that so many folks have had problems just getting going now. It ain't supposed to be that way for a default type install. My latest experience, with the cards I recommended to you, is that it was absolutely painless. I even used the drivers provided on the CD....With BOINC 6.6.20 64 bit on Vista ultimate 64 bit. Easy and away she went.

Is GPUGrid mainstream like WCG? Errr, no, I'm maybe having doubts. Let's see what Thursday brings.

I any case, you must do what's right for you and the primary purpose of what you bought your rig for. If it's your daily driver, it has to provide the apps you want. Crunching, folding, or not. (Yes, I know that could be blasphemy in some places....:rofl:)

Regards,
Bob

Naja002
07-27-2009, 11:28 PM
If there are problems instead of getting another GTX 260 I'll just get the 4870 I have wanted and game on it and put the 260 on a linux box.

I can certainly understand your frustrations! :yepp: Been there many times. Between the crunching, WCing projects and just all this stuff--I must be a pain-freak or something! :rofl: :shocked: The CUDA 2.2 is coming....that's just the way it is. Some are pushing for the CUDA 2.3, but it's being delayed right now because it's just too new.

Problem: This CUDA upgrade was initially delayed because of issues with linux and the newer drivers. I'm not up on linux, but there is/was an issue there. So, just a heads-up on switching to linux. :up:

PoppaGeek
07-27-2009, 11:43 PM
The point is i would have the game on one machine and gpugrid on another. Getting one app to work is easier than 2. The game was fine with newer drivers on Vista, GPUgrid wasn't.

It also would not be so bad if I had not just got everything happy.

Naja002
07-27-2009, 11:58 PM
The point is i would have the game on one machine and gpugrid on another. Getting one app to work is easier than 2. The game was fine with newer drivers on Vista, GPUgrid wasn't.

It also would not be so bad if I had not just got everything happy.

Understood. But my point was:

If you are going to game on the linux rig with the 4870....OK.

If you are going to run Gpugrid on the linux rig....then there may be issues waiting.

MikeB12
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
upgradin to 190.38 now off the main nvidia dl site http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Naja002
07-28-2009, 02:45 AM
The latest Heads-up from Gpugrid:

Roll back to 185.xx, there seem to be problems with 190.xx over some hardware.
185.xx will be fine for gpugrid for quite a while.

gdf

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1236&nowrap=true#11422

GDF
Forum moderator
Project administrator
Project developer
Project scientist

So, if 190.xx is not working for you--roll back. 185.85 is good for the CUDA 2.2 upgrade. :up:

shadowwind
07-28-2009, 03:09 AM
yup the 185.85 was the only way i could get my 260s to work the 190 drivers
i just couldn't get them to work to force the gpu 3d clock to keep the 2D clock from throttling down.so im ready i think.:shrug:

MikeB12
07-28-2009, 03:32 AM
guess mine are ok on 190.38.. I just went around and checked them and they are all at full load on wu's atm.. but i just installed 190.38 this morning, so I'll kepp an eye out. (1 gtx260 (192sp) and 4 gts 250's)

DAK1640
07-30-2009, 01:42 AM
I got the 190's working on 1/2 the rigs without issue. The other rigs seemed to HONK at the 190's, so they will get the 185's. I am unable to find a common denominator...Tried with Vista, XP & Win7...

The only problem with the 190's is that you WILL lose all work.

I hate doing the driver upgrades to my multi GPU rigs as to they are always out of sync with project completion. I guess I will have to bite da bullit and forfeit some partially completed as to I am going on Vaca and will be gone when Cuda 2 is released.

PoppaGeek
07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I have had a few bad days and have not tried anything yet. I am surprised I am still getting work as I am still at 182.50. Have followed the links in Naja's posts and I do not see a firm switch over time/date. Since they are still sorting things out I will leave things alone until I have to switch.

123bob
07-31-2009, 12:15 AM
OK, almost 1 am PDT here. Everything is running as it should, no changes on my part, I just used the drivers off the disk. I think they are 185 something. Device mgr reports something else usually.

Will monitor tomorrow.

BTW, Thanks to Mike047, some cavalry troops are going to come over the hill here.

Not quite enough to goose the goose, YET....

(Actually, awesome production from the goose. Hard to match those numbers. What it makes me want to know is, what the heck are you doing with so much unused CPU cycles...You should be a heavy hitter on WCG with your GPUGrid numbers, but I don't even see you there. Oh, there you are on page two....Sorry. Yeah, you have respectable output. LMK when you get up to page one. :rofl: OK, end of "smack talk") And yes, I recognize you just rolled me over on GPUGrid like I was standing still...:up:

What I would really like to know is how you get such high GPU numbers with your CPU output. Have you set your farm up intent on folding with maybe dual cores and max GPUs?

My farm is setup intent on crunching OC WCG cores. So it's heavy on CPU, but I've just started stuffing in GPUs to bring it up to it's full potential...

We may have something to learn from each other here...

Regards,
Bob

PoppaGeek
07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Decided that since my GPU probably is going to become a pain again and I am planning on getting a new CPU this weekend for the machine I may as well commit suicide and go all out. Update BIOS to latest, was 2 versions behind, installing Service pack 2 right now, Vista 64 and then will try the 185.xx drivers. If your going to go down go down in flames and glory. Already had one scare. After some updates and logging in it popped up and asked if I wanted to start Precision and when I clicked yes the entire screen went green and there she sat. Nothing worked had to turn off then back on. All seems ok on reboot. :shrug:

If all this does not work I predict much beer drinking. :toast2:

DAK1640
07-31-2009, 01:57 AM
OK, almost 1 am PDT here. Everything is running as it should, no changes on my part, I just used the drivers off the disk. I think they are 185 something. Device mgr reports something else usually.

Will monitor tomorrow.

BTW, Thanks to Mike047, some cavalry troops are going to come over the hill here.

Not quite enough to goose the goose, YET....

(Actually, awesome production from the goose. Hard to match those numbers. What it makes me want to know is, what the heck are you doing with so much unused CPU cycles...You should be a heavy hitter on WCG with your GPUGrid numbers, but I don't even see you there. Oh, there you are on page two....Sorry. Yeah, you have respectable output. LMK when you get up to page one. :rofl: OK, end of "smack talk") And yes, I recognize you just rolled me over on GPUGrid like I was standing still...:up:

What I would really like to know is how you get such high GPU numbers with your CPU output. Have you set your farm up intent on folding with maybe dual cores and max GPUs?

My farm is setup intent on crunching OC WCG cores. So it's heavy on CPU, but I've just started stuffing in GPUs to bring it up to it's full potential...

We may have something to learn from each other here...

Regards,
Bob
Thx for slappin da Goose around Bob...That isn't gonna make him too happy ya know...Don't spread any of Mikey's 'Goose be Gone' stuff. Anyway, I got a farm of quads, mostly dual GPU's (275's, 260's, 250's, GX2's and even some 8800GT's). The 260's are my fav...Just bought another recert from Egg for $129 free ship...lol...The CPU's are mega throttled due to heat. This fall I will turn em all da way up...Should do about 22-25K per day (same as last year). I am still winding up my Dimes project. 200M I retire. Anyway, I am prepared to dial up GPUGRID even further since the cards run cooler than F@H. I finally got the 190's working without throttling the 250's down to 2D...Yippee. Seems that Precision works better than Riva in keeping them running nice and cool. I am off now to visit Mark Henderson...

Naja002
07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
The upgrade as been done:

We had already optimized the FFT our selves, so no much speedup will be seen using 2.3.
By the way, we have updated the application to cuda 2.2.

gdf

CUDA 2.2 WUs should end with 6.67, instead of 6.64

Nvidia 190.38, Cuda 2.3 (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1211&nowrap=true#11552)

123bob
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Thx for slappin da Goose around Bob...That isn't gonna make him too happy ya know...Don't spread any of Mikey's 'Goose be Gone' stuff. Anyway, I got a farm of quads, mostly dual GPU's (275's, 260's, 250's, GX2's and even some 8800GT's). The 260's are my fav...Just bought another recert from Egg for $129 free ship...lol...The CPU's are mega throttled due to heat. This fall I will turn em all da way up...Should do about 22-25K per day (same as last year). I am still winding up my Dimes project. 200M I retire. Anyway, I am prepared to dial up GPUGRID even further since the cards run cooler than F@H. I finally got the 190's working without throttling the 250's down to 2D...Yippee. Seems that Precision works better than Riva in keeping them running nice and cool. I am off now to visit Mark Henderson...

Thx Dak. I have a few dual GPU capable machines here, I just don't have them populated yet.

I have the last of the 260-216s inbound to fill up each machine with one card. I'll take a pause, see how these go and then try out a dual GPU setup.

What I'm trying to do for now is max out my farms total potential while I wait for the next gen CPUs to come out. Then I'll expand. (After all, I still have 9 empty circuit breaker slots on the main power panel...:rofl:)

Regards,
Bob

BTW, still crunching away on the grid. No problems noted.

Otis11
07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Keep in mind, any GPUs you get to max out your setup can always be quite easily slipped into a new machine... :wasntme: :sofa:

PoppaGeek
07-31-2009, 12:18 PM
No surprise, all WUs failed since I installed 185.85

All I see are people talking about 185.xx and 190.xx Anything wrong with 186.18?

OldChap
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
What is the correct proceedure for shutting down a running wu prior to changing driver/cuda?? I ask because previous attempts have Ignored previous work and issued new Wu's

DAK1640
07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Hello OldChap...No ryhme or reason...1/2 da rigs smply resumed and the other half DL'd new WU's...I done the exact same procedure on all rigs with differing results. Da Goose is getting PO'd....

1- I shut down Boinc...6.6.36
2- I go to task manager and uninstall GPU's
3- I go to root aand delete Nvidia folder
4- Reboot and let XP / Vista / Win7 do what it's gotta do
5- Reboot again andload da 190's
6- Reboot last time and run BOINC.

Sometimes it resumes, and sometimes it don't...Da Goose thinks Lucy has some splaining to do...:rofl:

Paladin
07-31-2009, 03:16 PM
If you wanted to be sure of no lost work, you could just set No New Tasks (assuming running one(s) will end when you'll be around) then update with no risk.

DAK1640
07-31-2009, 03:50 PM
If you wanted to be sure of no lost work, you could just set No New Tasks (assuming running one(s) will end when you'll be around) then update with no risk.
That's not very practical with a farm, but with a few rigs I guess it would do...ot very efficient use of crunching power though...

PoppaGeek
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Well So long and thanks for all the fish!

Going back to F@H, newer drivers acting same as before, OCCT GPU MEM test passes 10000 passes but fails on GPU test within seconds of starting. Still thinking of getting a 4870 and trying the 260 on linux. I do not know how many people run it on Linux but they do not seem to have the same problems. Mostly install issues.

DAK1640
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
PG...I can help you with GPUGRID...I didn't realize you were at wits end...PM me. I CAN get you working...Albeit F@H is good too.

PoppaGeek
07-31-2009, 06:51 PM
PG...I can help you with GPUGRID...I didn't realize you were at wits end...PM me. I CAN get you working...Albeit F@H is good too.

YHPM

PoppaGeek
08-01-2009, 05:57 PM
If I get a 9800 GTX+ can I put it in the same ATI MB with a GTX 260 running F@H on the 260 and GPUGrid on the 9800? Is there a way to tell each app which GPU to use?

OldChap
08-02-2009, 01:04 AM
My trial of running both in one machine led to GPUGRID running on all available processors and Folding GPU running too!!! :rofl: ....I've never really taken this further in that I've not tried to suspend individual grid tasks

PoppaGeek
08-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Had my doubts who knows might be a hack out there. Thinking about getting a re-certified 9800GTX+, $89 or maybe 2. They seem to have fewer problems with the new software and drivers and leave my 260 on F@H.

Had planed on a new CPU but deals are already over at Newegg and new CPUs due out soon so might be time to expand GPU power.

PoppaGeek
08-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Shadow - I find it interesting that you have a 260 still on 182.50 turing in work and getting better average than the 260 with the 186.35.:eek:

Account for yourself! :rofl:

PoppaGeek
08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Had my doubts who knows might be a hack out there. Thinking about getting a re-certified 9800GTX+, $89 or maybe 2. They seem to have fewer problems with the new software and drivers and leave my 260 on F@H.

Had planed on a new CPU but deals are already over at Newegg and new CPUs due out soon so might be time to expand GPU power.

Just ordered a re-certified GTX 260 216 shaders and new PSU. I cannot bring myself to mess with the other 260 anymore. It is happy with F@h, WCG and Lord of the Rings Online, the only game I play anymore. So new 260 will go on other Vista machine and I will work to get it on GPUGrid. Wrestling with one program to get it happy is alot easier than 2 programs. :shakes:
Besides I like the idea of contributing to 3 teams.:up:

Since it is re-certified and only has a 90 warranty i'll OC it and run CUDA memcheck and FUR on it for a few hours to make sure it is golden. Usually factory refubs are ok if they work when ya get them. I never had a good card go bad without good reason. $129 was just too tempting. :up:

The 9800 GTX+ was very tempting but I just cannot deal with the heat from 2 more cards. 1 260 will be cooler than 2 9800s and produce more than WUs 1.

:toast:

shadowwind
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Shadow - I find it interesting that you have a 260 still on 182.50 turing in work and getting better average than the 260 with the 186.35.:eek:

Account for yourself! :rofl:

yup it surprised me all so that one is oced to the max i figured i will burn that kick down thing in so its got to stay open :rofl:

shadowwind
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
i did the same thing poppa i got 1 260 coming in from the egg with 2 more 79,99 dollar 1354s all so. im loving those chips on the jetway blue x board i can oc them to 2.69 i got it now at 2.3 and some change i wasnt sure if that was the cause of my errors i was getting when i get home i will turn on the heat back to 2,69 :up:

PoppaGeek
08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Glad the 1354s work so well for you. I am very happy with mine and once weather cools some more I will up the clocks on mine, at 2.4gz now. I would not mind a few more but I am waiting to see what AMD releases next 2 months. Those 45w Athlon x4s look interesting.

Getting the 260 may have been foolish as it is still in the mid 80s here and could go back to 90s easy but ya get kind addicted to seeing the numbers and climbing the ranks. Hate giving up. I get frustrated and walk away but later go back to trying to get things to work. I want 8 more AMD cores for WCG and 2 more GPUs but that will be fall.

How was your fishing trip?

shadowwind
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
nice im not sure i would want to stock up more on cpu s till we find out more on what WCG is going to do. will it be a mix of cpu and gpu or is it going to be just for gpu's only, from how i read it im not sure what they are going to do.:shrug:

PoppaGeek
08-03-2009, 03:17 PM
nice im not sure i would want to stock up more on cpu s till we find out more on what WCG is going to do. will it be a mix of cpu and gpu or is it going to be just for gpu's only, from how i read it im not sure what they are going to do.:shrug:

Good point. But I would think it would take a long time for all projects to migrate to GPU unless there has been alot of work that we do not know about. Of course there is GPUGrid so I guess we do know of some huh. Total now I have 9 PCI-E slots.