PDA

View Full Version : Same Overclock Settings Dont Work Anymore

freak11
07-27-2009, 10:15 AM
hi guys,
I overclocked my computer
to 4.2 ghz (i7 920 D0-Asus rampage extreme II motherboard) and prime 95 was stable for several hours. However, one day I forgot to switch on my water pump and my cpu overheated until a blue screen came. Then i had to restart the computer and reinstall the drivers.

Now, I cannot run the same overclock settings anymore in Bios because Prime95 shows that the overclock settings are unstable even though before the crash they were 100% stable. After 1 or 2 minutes I get an error.

So where is the problem? Do i have to replace my thermal paste? is my cpu damaged and thus it cannot be overclocked?

trekie86
07-27-2009, 10:22 AM
do you know what kind of temps you were at when it overheated and shutdown?

Holst
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
If you had to reinstall driver then it may be that windows is messed up.

I would resinall windows (not just drivers) and see what happens then.

You could have cooked your thermal paste, so it wont hurt to remove the cooler and check everything is ok.

If it got really hot then some SMD components may have come loose, or you may have damaged the CPU :(

Good luck.

unclewebb
07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd pull your block and re do the paste first.

To prevent something like this in the future, why not run RealTemp or a similar program and set a shut down temperature. If anything goes wrong, your computer will automatically shut down even if you're busy watching TV or are at work, etc.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/RealTempBeta.zip

rge encouraged me to add this feature to RealTemp a while ago. Go into the Settings window and set an alarm value and then click on Alarm EXE and tell it to run RTShutDown.bat if it reaches this value. You can edit RTShutDown.bat if you need this shutdown to happen immediately. The default is a warning and then a 10 second delay to give you enough time to save what you're working on.

To test this feature set it to a low value like 60C and then run some Prime or LinX and see if it shuts down. It should. After a shutdown you will need to either click on Reset or go into the Settings window and click on OK to rearm this shutdown feature. This prevents being locked out of your computer. Your operating system should have an entry in its log showing that RealTemp shut down your computer because it over heated.