PDA

View Full Version : Grille for GTX 480

Stvwndr219
07-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Does anybody know where I can get a cheaper grille for a 480 style radiator than the one on petras? Does anyone know if there's one of those striped 480 grills like the a.c. ryan ones?

Thanks! :)

iandh
07-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Does anybody know where I can get a cheaper grille for a 480 style radiator than the one on petras? Does anyone know if there's one of those striped 480 grills like the a.c. ryan ones?

Thanks! :)

The reason for the price is that they were made in a small batch (10pcs), so they are basically selling at a hair over cost. The other grilles were made in a lot larger amount (90pcs) so that is why they are selling for cheaper. WatercoolingUK sells knockoffs of my design but they are out of stock and after shipping would actually end up being more expensive.

It's a specialty item, much like many watercooling products, and "specialty" and "cheaper" usually don't find themselves in the same sentence. :)

Stvwndr219
07-25-2009, 01:39 PM
hi ian,

i'm not trying to hate on your product, it's just that I'm going to be mounting the radiator on the bottom of my case and the grille won't be seen so I don't need any pleasing aesthetics. ;) I really like your design - I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative so I can save some money for tuition in the fall. :D

also, another question I wanted to add to this - does anybody know how to clean cigarette smell out of a radiator - it's been sitting in a box for a month now with dryer sheets and baking soda and the smell is still there.

Thanks guys!

iandh
07-25-2009, 02:06 PM
hi ian,

i'm not trying to hate on your product, it's just that I'm going to be mounting the radiator on the bottom of my case and the grille won't be seen so I don't need any pleasing aesthetics. ;) I really like your design - I'm just looking for a cheaper alternative so I can save some money for tuition in the fall. :D

also, another question I wanted to add to this - does anybody know how to clean cigarette smell out of a radiator - it's been sitting in a box for a month now with dryer sheets and baking soda and the smell is still there.

Thanks guys!

Oh, I didn't take it that way at all, no prob :)

I just wanted to let you know why the price was so much higher, Petra's and I had these made in a smaller quantity than normal because we weren't really sure how they would sell. I really like to try and keep the prices down as much as I can because this a hobby first, then business.

I just like earning enough extra cash to treat myself to a new piece of hardware every month or two :D

As far as the cigarette smell, it is stuck to the rad from the tar, so soak it in a citrus based cleaner such as de-solv-it or Gojo hand cleaner that is made to remove tar. You may need to repaint afterwards though.

Stvwndr219
07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
hi ian, thanks for the reply. Do you know of any other side effects of the bath? Will it weaken the structural integrity of the copper? I never did too well in chem, lol.

oh, and is there anyway I can get like a schematic you used for the design of the holes or something? i think I may just try and cut holes like what you have into my case. If I remove the radiator later on I can still use this as intake area. :)

iandh
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
hi ian, thanks for the reply. Do you know of any other side effects of the bath? Will it weaken the structural integrity of the copper? I never did too well in chem, lol.

oh, and is there anyway I can get like a schematic you used for the design of the holes or something? i think I may just try and cut holes like what you have into my case. If I remove the radiator later on I can still use this as intake area. :)

Oh, no not at all. It just may eat at the paint, but it won't hurt the metal at all unless you leave it in for days. It should be able to dissolve the cigarette tar and other crap in a matter of hours. :)

I'd be happy to send you a DXF but it doesn't have any dimensions. I could dimension it for you but there may be a day or two before I get it to you. If you can't read DXF I can export as jpeg.