PDA

View Full Version : grid + vista problems

OldChap
07-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Let me start by saying this is the first rig I've put vista on

1. Rivatuner doesn't see any driver (in the RT notes there is a comment about turning off driver signing....how???)EDIT: Precision says no supported hardware....

2. grid also says I dont have NVI....

I have my 2 260's installed and the new 190.38 whql drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Need help here guys cos I only have 2 machines running while I move the other 2 across town but most of all I'm a complete vista noob

PoppaGeek
07-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Got this from here: (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1429/vista_disable_digital_driver_signing_enforcement/)

Turn off Digital Driver Signing Check in Vista:

1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to cmd.exe
(this recipe explains how to create a shortcut if you don’t know how)

2. Right-click on the shortcut and select Run as administrator

3. When the command window opens, type or paste the following and press ENTER:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

4. Reboot and then try installing the driver.

A little easier is to type cmd in the "Start Search" box then right click on cmd and choose Run As Admin.

PoppaGeek
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
What version Boinc?

Maybe get one card working then add second?

OldChap
07-21-2009, 02:16 PM
If it matters....Nvidia control centre sees the driver

Edit: Did the driver signing thing...dropped back to 186.xx driver still not recognised by Riva, Precision or Grid. Just to prove a point ran 3D06 no problem...lousy score of 16k+ but ran fine so stock card clocks probably

I've never used drivercleaner but in view of the above is it worth it???

Set up with one card only....no change.

I have the feeling that this is a simple something that I forgot to do....just don't know what....Ideas anyone???

OldChap
07-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Lets ask this then ....Anybody know how to get rivatuner or precision to see the hardware/drivers in vista??

Will try the folders too.

Naja002
07-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Nvidia GeForce 185.85 WHQL and Rivatuner 2.24 seem messed up (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294967)

^^^^As far as I can tell that applies to 185 and up drivers.

I switched to precision....not having any issues that I'm aware of.....

PoppaGeek
07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
OC 182.50 is the only one that has worked for me reliably. search here (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us) I use Vista 64 and Precision with NPs. Also only one GPUGrid has done 100% on.

OldChap
07-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Late here now...will give that a try tomorrow ....Thanks PG

shadowwind
07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
OC i was having a problem getting drivers that worked from nvidia web site i had to download the drivers from XFX to get my cards to work i thought all nvidia drivers was the same i guess they are not because the XFX drivers work
fine i spent an hour trying to get the nvidia web site drivers to work.so try to download drivers from the manufacturer of your vid cards.i hope that works for ya,

hawkeyefan
07-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Nvidia GeForce 185.85 WHQL and Rivatuner 2.24 seem messed up (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=294967)

^^^^As far as I can tell that applies to 185 and up drivers.

I switched to precision....not having any issues that I'm aware of.....

186.18 on Windows 7 x64 works fine with RivaTuner. So did 185.85 but WUs kept erroring out on those for me. Have downloaded 190.38 with the new CUDA 2.3 but haven't installed or tested those yet. I'll do it tonight and post an update.

If you run into problems with RivaTuner not recognizing drivers, open it and go to the Power User tab. Expand Rivatuner\System and scroll down until you find ForceDriverVersion. Enter the numeric value of your driver number (i.e. 18585) in the Value column, then click on the yellow light bulb to turn on driver emulation mode. Now you should have control over clocks and fan speed but you still won't see driver info on the main page of RT.

OldChap
07-22-2009, 10:34 PM
I always wondered what all that power user stuff was about...:)....Thanks hawkeye

hawkeyefan
07-23-2009, 12:36 AM
I always wondered what all that power user stuff was about...:)....Thanks hawkeye

lmao...I just clicked on the link Naja provided and realized it was one of those "ZOMG my RivaTuner doesn't work" threads on Unwinder's section @G3D...complete with instructions.:para:

Ah well, there's a concise version on how to deal with it here now.:p:

OldChap
07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Well........That fix got riva working but 6.6.36 would not start gpu grid cos no nvidia present, Precision still says no supported hardware

So....I loaded grid from the gpugrid site which worked fine but with 6.5.0....then trawling through messages saw the newer version available and went to that address and updated...

Result!!!.....updated the whole lot recognised the work on file and now crunching 4 cpu and 2 gpu fine

Thanks for the help guys and the link Naja, info from the horses mouth so to speak :)

Looking at the figures I think I'll leave the 98's on folding and the 260's on grid then next month trial the 275/295 on both to assess performance