PDA

View Full Version : What are we doing?

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
I have read the science section at GPUGrid.net as well as the forums and FAQ several times. I kinda follow what they are doing. But what I have never have figured out is what this science will do to help which diseases. WCG projects are pretty obvious and Folding @ Home lists some of the disease that their research hope to address. This one question is what kept me from joining earlier.

Also I am trying to decide whether to add more cores to WCG or another GPU to this as my next purchase.

So, any ideas on what we are doing this for? :shrug:

road-runner
07-20-2009, 08:12 PM
I have no idea on this one, we might be designing nuclear weapons for some country for all I know... :rofl:

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I have no idea on this one, we might be designing nuclear weapons for some country for all I know... :rofl:

Oh geeze your a big help! :rofl::rofl:

road-runner
07-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh geeze your a big help! :rofl::rofl:

Good question though PG, I have been wondering what we were doing also... :up:

MikeB12
07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
gpugrid has a science page http://www.gpugrid.net/science.php

basically it's protein folding, just like fah's gpu project. I think the gpu's are pretty limited in what they can do scopewise. the cpu projects are a lot more flexible. remember when you read fah's science page http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science it's gpu and cpu work, so it's hard to tell exactly what your gpu is doing unless you look at the specific wu number and see what protein they are working on. like pick a GROGPU2 wu off the project page http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html and then check it here to see what it does here http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fahproject

for example a fah nvidia 5778 wu is: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/fahproject?p=5778

Project 5778
These projects are constant-temperature simulations of a variant of the alpha/beta protein L (F22A), started from folded and unfolded states, using an implicit solvation model. These are full production runs designed to be run on the GPU clients.

so we have to google protein L (F22A) http://www.google.com/search?q=protein+L+(F22A)&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

and it's beyond me what all that stuff means :rofl:

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 08:27 PM
That made my head hurt, I'll go with RRs explanation. :rofl:

MikeB12
07-20-2009, 08:28 PM
there's some interesting links on that page too if you probe around on the right http://www.gpugrid.net/science.php

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah I watched a few vids and have read it several times just never really figured out if it was a particular disease like cancer or drug research or just trying to understand protean better. Just seemed they never really said what they were after. The FAQs are almost worthless.

This is kinda fun project and I like it just want to have a feel for what they are wanting to accomplish.

MikeB12
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah I watched a few vids and have read it several times just never really figured out if it was a particular disease like cancer or drug research or just trying to understand protean better. Just seemed they never really said what they were after. The FAQs are almost worthless.

This is kinda fun project and I like it just want to have a feel for what they are wanting to accomplish.yeah, it's frustrating trying to figure that out. especially on the fah side when you really dont know what the gpu's are doing, heck I know a bunch of fah users who think they are crucnhing for cancer on their gpu. and that's not even close to what gpu crunching does in any project right now. gpugrid or fah.

Also I am trying to decide whether to add more cores to WCG or another GPU to this as my next purchase.:shrug:
I guess to answer the underlying question from my pov; I went through this same type decision last year with fah after they introduced nvidia gpu. I had been building cpu crunchers the previous year with minimum vga's. kinda like your typical wcg machine.

and I had collected 6 pc's 5 of which had minimum vga's that had no gpu crunchability. in the end I decided to sell of some of the cpu crunchers and drop down to 3 machines all with quad cpu's, and put some video power in them so I could do both cpu and gpu work. and I ended up with what's in my sig now.

which is really better for me anyway, I have less boxes hanging out around the house. and the gpu's really produce alot on both the fah side and boinc side.

anyway, that's just my .02
if I were you I'd figure out what I need to do to maximize the crunching efficiency of my existing hardware (cpu and gpu upgrades) before building new machines with a whole new mobo, psu etc sucking electricity for a whole new pc.

shadowwind
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
hmmm seems like a good question for the gpugrid forums on what we are doing.good question poppa. for all i know i could be splitting atoms for the big bang.

[XC] junglemaster
07-20-2009, 08:46 PM

I was getting excited when I read this :) I can only hope...:rofl:

I am currently mining Uranium...does this make me a bad person? :ROTF:

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
The best I can get from reading is they are trying to understand proteins at the molecular level. Folding is about how proteins fold when forming from amino acids. So they are not so much trying to find a cure for something specific but just understand how things work and why they go wrong thus causing diseases. Only thing I found specific was schizophrenia.

Mostly just wondering if I was missing something. Seems their research is more general in scope but specific in process.

I think this would be a hard project to get people to join as compared to WCG where you are "fighting cancer". More specific and easier to understand.

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 08:54 PM
junglemaster;3917664']I was getting excited when I read this :) I can only hope...:rofl:

I am currently mining Uranium...does this make me a bad person? :ROTF:

Depends on who ya selling it to! :para:

:rofl:

PoppaGeek
07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
yeah, it's frustrating trying to figure that out. especially on the fah side when you really dont know what the gpu's are doing, heck I know a bunch of fah users who think they are crucnhing for cancer on their gpu. and that's not even close to what gpu crunching does in any project right now. gpugrid or fah.

I guess to answer the underlying question from my pov; I went through this same type decision last year with fah after they introduced nvidia gpu. I had been building cpu crunchers the previous year with minimum vga's. kinda like your typical wcg machine.

and I had collected 6 pc's 5 of which had minimum vga's that had no gpu crunchability. in the end I decided to sell of some of the cpu crunchers and drop down to 3 machines all with quad cpu's, and put some video power in them so I could do both cpu and gpu work. and I ended up with what's in my sig now.

which is really better for me anyway, I have less boxes hanging out around the house. and the gpu's really produce alot on both the fah side and boinc side.

anyway, that's just my .02
if I were you I'd figure out what I need to do to maximize the crunching efficiency of my existing hardware (cpu and gpu upgrades) before building new machines with a whole new mobo, psu etc sucking electricity for a whole new pc.

crunchability, I like that word. It should be added to dictionaries.

Good thoughts. Makes sense. The big problem for me is WCG is my main interest. I am down 2 cores and want to add 4 back maybe 8 if I go dual socket MB. GPU is pretty easy. Less than $200 and pop a GTX 260 in an open slot, wrestle with drivers a few days at worse and good to go. Building a new PC all sorts of stuff. I may do cores for now and GPU this fall. I can handle 5 PCs ok. That is probably my limit for several reasons. Not sure how many GPUs I can do. 3 or 4 I would imagine max.

I have been looking at solar and wind kits. The affordable ones are really not that helpful. 4 year old grandson has too much energy, may look for very large hamster wheel....:rofl:

shadowwind
07-21-2009, 04:55 AM
those DIY solar kits are very interesting to me that one kit on free DC got me thinking i went to see how it works in Webster MA the guy lives on the lake and he got a DIY VIDEO on the web its a lot of work but worth it in the long run if i do it i want the 85 amp cells and i would need to make 14 solar panels to that's a lot of work.its a good winter project i might try and build.:D

Naja002
07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Here's my opinion, and trust me--I could expound on this. :up:

Anything dealing with the study of atoms and molecules will have far-reaching, wide-spread impact, which includes, but is by no means limited to, biomedical.

Anything Dealing with Proteins will have a large positive impact on biomedical.

Seti can wait. Primegrid can wait. Many of the projects available--can wait. Some things need to have been done last week, not next week. Wcg offers last week projects. If there is "intelligent" life out there sending out signals--they'll still be there in 50yrs--after we deal with cancer, MD, Alzheimers and a bunch of other things.

One of the main reasons why I've stuck with Gpugrid (v.F@H), is because Gpugrid was a small project advancing a new technology. And by "new" I mean within Boinc. To me, the advancement of the gpu client within Boinc is HUGE! :up: Not only will it open the door to many other projects, but it will also speed up the advancement of our knowledge. :up: The sooner we know how to cure cancer---the sooner we can go search for space aliens. :p: The sooner there is a stable gpu client--the sooner WCG will get in the game and the faster we can get that research done.

So, even though the projects within Gpugrid are not my first choice---they are not objectionable to me either. But for me, there's much more here then the specific projects that Gpugrid is working on. :up: Just as this research is about the future--Gpugrid was about the future...and still is.

It's easy to pick on seti, but I will say this: They love the advanced optimized apps, SSE and all that stuff--which is Great for what we do (in a big picture sense). They were 3rd in line to go GPU and 2nd in line for GPU within Boinc. I like seti for their participation in advancing DC technology. I just think that their core goal can wait 50yrs while we focus on getting some other things sorted out. :up:

For me, Gpugrid isn't as much about the projects as it is about the advancement of the technology. :up:

shadowwind
07-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Here's my opinion, and trust me--I could expound on this. :up:

Anything dealing with the study of atoms and molecules will have far-reaching, wide-spread impact, which includes, but is by no means limited to, biomedical.

Anything Dealing with Proteins will have a large positive impact on biomedical.

Seti can wait. Primegrid can wait. Many of the projects available--can wait. Some things need to have been done last week, not next week. Wcg offers last week projects. If there is "intelligent" life out there sending out signals--they'll still be there in 50yrs--after we deal with cancer, MD, Alzheimers and a bunch of other things.

One of the main reasons why I've stuck with Gpugrid (v.F@H), is because Gpugrid was a small project advancing a new technology. And by "new" I mean within Boinc. To me, the advancement of the gpu client within Boinc is HUGE! :up: Not only will it open the door to many other projects, but it will also speed up the advancement of our knowledge. :up: The sooner we know how to cure cancer---the sooner we can go search for space aliens. :p: The sooner there is a stable gpu client--the sooner WCG will get in the game and the faster we can get that research done.

So, even though the projects within Gpugrid are not my first choice---they are not objectionable to me either. But for me, there's much more here then the specific projects that Gpugrid is working on. :up: Just as this research is about the future--Gpugrid was about the future...and still is.

It's easy to pick on seti, but I will say this: They love the advanced optimized apps, SSE and all that stuff--which is Great for what we do (in a big picture sense). They were 3rd in line to go GPU and 2nd in line for GPU within Boinc. I like seti for their participation in advancing DC technology. I just think that their core goal can wait 50yrs while we focus on getting some other things sorted out. :up:

For me, Gpugrid isn't as much about the projects as it is about the advancement of the technology. :up:

well said:up:

PoppaGeek
07-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Naja you pretty well sum up my reason for WCG dedication. I ran Seti and Distributed.net because they were neat and interesting. But the day I read about WCG starting up was the day I signed up. I worked at IBM for a time and know the company culture and attitude toward man kind and corp responsibility to society. In short, a good company. But also it is about priorities and you said that well. Cancer is a modern day plague. It has to be conquered. AIDES is next. I have real issues with people starving to death. Unthinkable.

I have been reading and watching some videos and am getting a better handle on what they are doing. The addition of their contribution to the technology of DC and it's future makes it even better.

The funny part for me though is the search for "intelligent" life. An idea based on what? Do you not need to experience intelligence to have a theory that it exists? I'd be happy if we could find it HERE!!

:toast:

Otis11
07-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Naja- well said. You just convinced me to join. :up:

The funny part for me though is the search for "intelligent" life. An idea based on what? Do you not need to experience intelligence to have a theory that it exists? I'd be happy if we could find it HERE!!

:toast:

Haha +1

Naja002
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Naja- well said. You just convinced me to join. :up:

:welcome:

:up::up:

DAK1640
07-30-2009, 02:15 AM
Well done Naja002, you like creating addicts? Just great...You've created more crunching addicts...:up: