PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of going P4

drunkenmaster
08-09-2002, 06:27 PM
I have all the parts i need to to build a second sytem out of, but i'm thinking of selling the mobo and cpu and adding some money to buy an new mobo and p4, mayb e2.23Ghz if i can find one cheap enough, or a 2.0Ghz

Anyway, i know almost nothing about P4 systems, coul dsome of you guys give me a quick run down of how the systems work and what mobos are the best for clocking that are out now.

I've got a stick of sammy original for it and will be swapping my gf4ti4600 to it to see waht kind of 3dmark scores i can get.

Also, as with mounting heatsinks, waterblocks, i take it they don't have the 4 stanard AMD type mobo holes to use for a waterblock, for testing purposes, can i just fir a new hold down device to waterblock that will let it attach to a P4 rig. I've never even been near a P4.

At the mo i'm thinking th IT7 sounds best as everyone says its great(i think), but i could get a 1.8A and an asus p4s333 2nd hand for £166inc postage, does that sound good at all?

If anyone can give me some links to the cheapest P4's in the UK or has one for sale, let me know.

Are the sis boards that much worse, as they seem much cheaper.

Thxs

OPPAINTER
08-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Well I can fill you in a few things anyway. I think the IT7 is ecxellent mobo, great overclocker and loves a good stick of DDR. As far as Mounting, the socket 478 has 4 Mounting holes on the mobo just like the 462 mobos. I use swiftech mounting on my blocks.

OPP

drunkenmaster
08-09-2002, 07:16 PM
I think one of the things i've always looked for is a lowish price(sponging off parents as much as possible).

Are the sis chipsets bad, or just not as good as intels own. Or is there no reall difference.

I've seen teh b7-2 board( i think that was it) quite a bit cheaper than the IT 7, is it also a good board. By the sounds of things abit is the way to go, are they all pretty good with the it 7 just getting ahead of the rest?

What kind of price do you think i might be able to grad an it 7 for on a for sale forum?

Neptune5k
08-09-2002, 08:56 PM
The SiS645DX chipsets are pretty good, and reasonably priced. You may want to wait about 3 weeks or so and check out the SiS 648 boards - these basically have DDR400 support and pack a lot of features at a decent price.

If you buy now tho, I'd say the IT7 is a good choice provided you're not using legacy devices, the BD7-2 would be a decent board if you are. I like the looks of the Abit IT7 Max2 (it has PS/2 ports) and also the Gigabyte GA-8IEXP.