PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech Epsilon for GTX295 (single board)

gabe
07-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I am proud to announce the upcoming release of the Epsilon full-cover water-block for nVidia GeForce GTX295 (P658 reference model, currently described as "the single board version").

Here are some sneak-pics:

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/epsilon/epsilonx800.jpg
The block

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/epsilon/epsilon-BACKx800.jpg
Pre-applied thermal pads

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/EPSILON/epsilon-BackplatesX800.jpg
Re-use of the stock back-plate

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/EPSILON/EPSILON-INSTALED-X800.jpg
Installed on the card

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/epsilon/epsilon-in-operationsx800.jpg
In operations

My sample EVGA card oc'd to 741-1602-1260 with this block. I just wish there was a volt mod available ;)

Here are some excerpts from the [unpublished yet] product page:

The Epsilon™ water-block offers superior thermal performance at the GPU level thanks to an embedded thin-pin matrix located directly above the GPU area. Flow restriction is moderate by design in order to take into account multiple water-blocks in the same loop.

The base plate is made of chrome plated electrolytic copper, as opposed to commonly used nickel plating which is yellowish, and the top is machined in clear polycarbonate material. The advantage of polycarbonate over widely used acrylic is that it is virtually impervious to cracking.

Shipping to retail channels will begin next week.

Price will be in line with competitors offerings.

Note: Unfortunately, I will be unavailable for comments over the week-end as I will be travelling.

lollerskater69
07-17-2009, 07:22 PM
WOW. That looks really nice compared to most of you guys products out now. Your are definately giving EK and Aqua Computer a run for their money with this one.

gabe
07-17-2009, 07:23 PM
WOW. That looks really nice compared to most of you guys products out now. Your are definately giving EK and Aqua Computer a run for their money with this one.

Utnorris
07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
I like the looks and I am sure the performance is outstanding.

skinnee
07-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Looks great Gabe! :up:

Block is chrome plated with polycarb, and I am geeked to see standoffs integrated in the block. No doubt that pin matrix is going to handle the heat load from the GPU's well.

gabe
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
I like the looks and I am sure the performance is outstanding.

42634 in Vantage (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1236874) with one of these and another GTX295 (dual-board model), so I guess it's not too bad :-)

gabe
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Looks great Gabe! :up:

Block is nickel plated with polycarb, and I am geeked to see standoffs integrated in the block. No doubt that pin matrix is going to handle the heat load from the GPU's well.

noooo not nickel plated, chrome plated, it looks better!

yep, steal standoffs everywhere in this one. I like it too. no chance to strip a thread = no rma's :D

sirheck
07-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Man...:( This makes my mcw60 look kinda dull.

It sure is purty.:up:

sirheck
07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Hell just thought of what you should have named it.

The ST Chrome-marty.:)

MomijiTMO
07-17-2009, 08:21 PM
You are going to run out of names if you keep this up lol. Great looking product and I like it how the acrylic top extends to the edge of the block. The acrylic looks pretty thick too. :up:

skinnee
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM

fixed in original post. :up:

BDW88
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
I have to say this block looks really good and I really like how the Swiftech logo stands out good job!

MpG
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the barb holes aren't recessed! :clap: Hope this becomes a trend in the future.

Love the layout/design - very clean and simple.

Vapor
07-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Great to see such a temperature performance-oriented block :toast:

(and it looks sweet too :D)

StAndrew
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Wow, great block! I always love how Swiftech thinks out of the box. In a world of bland full cover GPU blocks, the Epsilon definitely leads the way in innovation!

PS, while on the topic of full cover blocks, I sent you (Gabe) a PM on the Obsidian a while back.

NaMcO
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I really like most, if not all, Swiftech products and this just adds to the list. Looks superb, congratulations :up:

LogAn'sRun
07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
looks sweet, MIR?

Maxspam
07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
How about flowrates?

MomijiTMO
07-17-2009, 11:14 PM
looks sweet, MIR?

You don't want to know lol. It would be wise to price it within EK/DD's range but that didn't happen before.

Great to see such a temperature performance-oriented block :toast:

Hi. I think ALL companies aim to make temperature performance-oriented blocks. So I either you see something I don't see that makes it special or I haven't a clue what you are saying. It looks like a similar flow path to other blocks on the market. The pin matrix opposed to channels might affect flow rates but I don't know which way.

:shrug:

Blizzy
07-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Looks great!

how much does it weight ?

Vapor
07-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Hi. I think ALL companies aim to make temperature performance-oriented blocks. So I either you see something I don't see that makes it special or I haven't a clue what you are saying. It looks like a similar flow path to other blocks on the market. The pin matrix opposed to channels might affect flow rates but I don't know which way.

:shrug:Yeah, I was a little brief in my wording....but with the 295 blocks that are out so far, there are three pretty distinct categories:

Designed for low restriction: The EK, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229547

Designed for best temps (likely at the cost of restriction): this Swiftech.

Designed as they have been for the past few years: all others so far (IMO, only the EK and this Swiftech have done anything new this round--and only the Swiftech has done anything new in terms of design at the die).

To be even more specific: Swiftech is the only one that is applying what they know from CPU blocks (and getting the most they can from them in terms of temps) and putting it into a GPU block. And if there are others, they're certainly not showing it :shrug:

MomijiTMO
07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah that is true. EK has gone with parallel and it would be interesting to see it put head to head with this new block. While lower temps are always welcomed, would we rather have high flow blocks and take the temperature penalty? I mean gpus seem pretty happy at 50C.

The core only blocks have this design, in fact, doesn't the MCW60 have the same matrix as the Apogee or something?

HESmelaugh
07-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Nice!
That last pic with the colored water going through the block looks pretty cool.

Also, I love the pre-applied thermal pads. how the hell do you do that? Is there some guy cutting and applying thermal pads all day?

MomijiTMO
07-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Hmm considering that some people feel that they don't need them or more bluntly, don't apply them and then bork their cards, pre applied thermal pads would be good for fewer whine whine emails.

JoeChuo
07-18-2009, 02:35 AM
I already ordered EK block ... siigh! after looking at this one ... my heart kinda acting! Awesome block!

levinan
07-18-2009, 03:05 AM
can't wait for the review :D, great looking block.....although still waiting for a new type of non full cover gpu block :D, so can use it for another video card if i have to.

urgrandpasdog
07-18-2009, 04:23 AM
To be even more specific: Swiftech is the only one that is applying what they know from CPU blocks (and getting the most they can from them in terms of temps) and putting it into a GPU block. And if there are others, they're certainly not showing it :shrug:

I believe that the Heatkiller GPU blocks use the same kind of design as their CPU blocks, though they don't have one for this 295 (at least not yet).

Semicycle
07-18-2009, 12:53 PM
This the best look Swiftech GPU block in a long time. I hope you take this design and run with it for the upcoming ATI cards in the fall.

Utnorris
07-18-2009, 01:40 PM
42634 in Vantage (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1236874) with one of these and another GTX295 (dual-board model), so I guess it's not too bad :-)

Yeah, not too bad. :p:

yep, steal standoffs everywhere in this one. I like it too. no chance to strip a thread = no rma's :D

Again, very good design and I like that "Swiftech" is orientated the correct way for horizontal mounts. :up:

If I'm not mistaken, the barb holes aren't recessed! :clap: Hope this becomes a trend in the future.

Love the layout/design - very clean and simple.

Completely agree on this as I am tired of buying new o-rings because a fitting doesn't quite fit in the hole.

gabe
07-18-2009, 04:49 PM
You are going to run out of names if you keep this up lol. Great looking product and I like it how the acrylic top extends to the edge of the block. The acrylic looks pretty thick too. :up:

Noooot acrylic : Polycarbonate... a whole different animal. google resistance to cracks: polycarbonate vs. acrylic

PS, while on the topic of full cover blocks, I sent you (Gabe) a PM on the Obsidian a while back.

sorry, please email me at gabe@swiftech.com.

You don't want to know lol. It would be wise to price it within EK/DD's range but that didn't happen before.

:shrug:

Price will be in line with the competition.

I designed it for optimum balance between perf and flow.

Looks great!

how much does it weight ?

34 oz

Nice!
That last pic with the colored water going through the block looks pretty cool.

Also, I love the pre-applied thermal pads. how the hell do you do that? Is there some guy cutting and applying thermal pads all day?

yes it needs to be manually applied

can't wait for the review :D, great looking block.....although still waiting for a new type of non full cover gpu block :D, so can use it for another video card if i have to.

sorry, but I am afraid that non-standard and non-square mounting holes pattern around the GPU's will preclude using the 60..

MomijiTMO
07-19-2009, 01:14 AM
SSSSSorry lol

gabe
07-19-2009, 10:00 AM
SSSSSorry lol

well its an important feature of the product.. polycarbonate is much more expensive than acrylic, but it guarantees that the product will never crack over time..

justin.kerr
07-19-2009, 10:52 AM
That is a great looking block Gabe! Should look great running distilled water. lol My wife is going with a horizontal mother board on her new build, with the 295(s).

Glad to see pre-installed pads! always feel like I am in 1st grade cutting up the pads with scissors.

Gabe you should know better than to post a vantage score with PPU on. :rofl:

JackOfAll
07-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Gabe, that block looks great! How much does it weigh?

UPDATE: Ignore me. Just seen the 34oz reply up above. (That's just a shade under a kilogram for the Imperial measures challenged, like me.)

silverphoenix
07-20-2009, 03:55 AM
OOO Polycarb top!! +1 :up:

YMAA
07-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Not a fan of full-cover blocks, but this definitely looks like pure win! Amazing looking block, too!

Bojamijams
07-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Polycarbonate? Nice!

Mankz_91
07-20-2009, 04:39 AM
My favorite 295 block so far, I just need the card first.

I love the idea of covering the caps etc. with the polycarb top, very nice idea Gabe :up:

gabe
07-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Gabe you should know better than to post a vantage score with PPU on. :rofl:

Just click "no" on official results only, and you'll see the scores under Windows 7 (with ppu on). This score places the rig in 10th overall. I could still tweak, but I really don't have the time to mess around.. I just wanted to have an idea of how competitive it could be under water, against guys running LN or phase etc..

gabe
07-20-2009, 05:38 PM
The product has now been officially released.

Boogerlad
07-20-2009, 05:49 PM
cast?

gabe
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
cast?

cnc machined

Sadasius
07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Damn....:shocked: Very nice work Gabe! :up:

gabe
07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Damn....:shocked: Very nice work Gabe! :up:

thanks! looks like there is a consensus.. Now I really wish I had decided to make the Komodo for GTX285 with a clear top instead of black Delrin, since they are very similar construction blocks.. but we didn't get half as much praise for the Komodo as we did for this one.. so it means that the clear poly is really making a difference.. what kills me is that the Komodo for P892 (new gtx285 reference) is also coming out with black Delrin.. It looks like we are going to have to offer both tops now...

thanks for the feed-back again.

StAndrew
07-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Definitely. The Polycarbonate (great to finally see this start replacing acrylic) would look very nice on the Komodo! I think, however, the excitement is over the block being released before the card, rather than after the initial excitement of the card. IMHO, most blocks do much better when released with/before the actual card is released.

Unfortunately, these luxuries in the block dont come cheap. At $179 (:shocked:), this block wont be for everyone.

Nanometer
07-21-2009, 12:29 AM
I do say the exterior design is sort of lacking. But the inside is what really matters and that is an incredible interior. Obviously designed by someone who knows what they are doing.

ILikeCosmosS
07-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Looks very good! :up:

gabe
07-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I do say the exterior design is sort of lacking.

Can you be more specific? I do invite criticism as it helps for future consideration.

crash5s
07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Definitely. The Polycarbonate (great to finally see this start replacing acrylic) would look very nice on the Komodo! I think, however, the excitement is over the block being released before the card, rather than after the initial excitement of the card. IMHO, most blocks do much better when released with/before the actual card is released.

Unfortunately, these luxuries in the block dont come cheap. At $179 (:shocked:), this block wont be for everyone.

179 for a dual GPU block isn't all that bad. Looking through performance PC's they go all the way up to 199 depending on the brand. 179 seems to be right on spot.

MulletBoy
07-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Can you be more specific? I do invite criticism as it helps for future consideration.

id like to see a replacement full cover backplate that looks cool, a replacement single slot bracket and i think the screws you are using through the polycarb look kinda basic.... i dunno

maybe the swiftech logo needs a revamp?

StAndrew
07-21-2009, 11:41 PM
179 for a dual GPU block isn't all that bad. Looking through performance PC's they go all the way up to 199 depending on the brand. 179 seems to be right on spot.

$179 is out of my budget; never mind the card. Ill just have to make do with drooling on my keyboard.

India48
07-22-2009, 12:57 AM
The block looks awesome.

Furthermore, I applaud Swiftech for providing performance charts [pressure drop vs flow rate] for this block. Definately going to be considering this one!

Nanometer
07-22-2009, 02:09 AM

the exterior has a rectangular/boxy design and it makes it look appear as if the designer didn't really care what the outside looks like. That was probably done so it could follow the rectangular design of the video card.. but I personally don't care for the boxy look. The acrylic is a nice touch so we can see the inside's nice machine work. But the outside has a lot of rough and sharp corners. Problem with working with Arcylic is that you can't really have a radical design since it might pose some cracking threats.

Here's what im getting at.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/9390/ex-blc-593.jpg/ex-blc-593/EK_Radeon_HD4870_GS_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_Gainw ard_Palit_-_Nickel_EK-FC4870_GS_Nickel.html?tl=g30c87s145

It has smooth corners that follow the flow path.

HoosTrax
07-22-2009, 03:00 AM
thanks! looks like there is a consensus.. Now I really wish I had decided to make the Komodo for GTX285 with a clear top instead of black Delrin, since they are very similar construction blocks.. but we didn't get half as much praise for the Komodo as we did for this one.. so it means that the clear poly is really making a difference.. what kills me is that the Komodo for P892 (new gtx285 reference) is also coming out with black Delrin.. It looks like we are going to have to offer both tops now...

thanks for the feed-back again.
I hope that's a hint that a P892 revision unisink is also in the works and arriving soon ;).

Rise
07-22-2009, 03:36 AM
the exterior has a rectangular/boxy design and it makes it look appear as if the designer didn't really care what the outside looks like. That was probably done so it could follow the rectangular design of the video card.. but I personally don't care for the boxy look. The acrylic is a nice touch so we can see the inside's nice machine work. But the outside has a lot of rough and sharp corners. Problem with working with Arcylic is that you can't really have a radical design since it might pose some cracking threats.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/9390/ex-blc-593.jpg/ex-blc-593/EK_Radeon_HD4870_GS_VGA_Liquid_Cooling_Block_Gainw ard_Palit_-_Nickel_EK-FC4870_GS_Nickel.html?tl=g30c87s145

I gotta agree with this - I thought the same thing the first time I looked at it... but then I looked at the back. And if you look at the cooling pads, and you see that that rectangular shape is a minimal requirement in order to cool everything that the card cools.

My design advice would be to balance out the large rectangular shape with the block's inlet & outlet locations. I think that if they were spread further apart, you would get a better overall look - my pick would have been to locate each directly above the GPUs so that they would flow straight down over them and stay with a rectangular look everywhere rather than the less eye pleasing half-phi (greek letter) shape.

still, i think swiftech did some good work here with the block they released.

gabe
07-22-2009, 07:15 PM
id like to see a replacement full cover backplate that looks cool, a replacement single slot bracket and i think the screws you are using through the polycarb look kinda basic.... i dunno

maybe the swiftech logo needs a revamp?

I made the back-plates, (thicker to improve mem temps), and tested versus the stock plates, and couldn't improve on O/C. So I decided not to make them since it increases the cost unnecessarily. I would have probably made them if there was a software volt mod available like for the GTX295 dual board, but since it isn't available with this version, and only hard mod (very few ppl do hard mods), then I think it isn't overal justified. I have the schematics and prototypes done, so the back plates can be put in production very fast if there is demand.

gabe
07-22-2009, 07:18 PM

No fear of cracks with polycarbonates :up:\

Basically you like larger radii. Not a problem to do. It's really the inspiration of the moment. If there is a consensus on this constructive criticism, I really have no problem to take it into consideration in the next designs.

gabe
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I hope that's a hint that a P892 revision unisink is also in the works and arriving soon ;).

GTX285-P892: the Heatsink is in stock, I just need to release it. The full cover W/B is expected very soon. Consider this a pre-announcement :)

GTX275 (P897) both HS and W/B are also in the production cycle.

gabe
07-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I gotta agree with this - I thought the same thing the first time I looked at it... but then I looked at the back. And if you look at the cooling pads, and you see that that rectangular shape is a minimal requirement in order to cool everything that the card cools.

My design advice would be to balance out the large rectangular shape with the block's inlet & outlet locations. I think that if they were spread further apart, you would get a better overall look - my pick would have been to locate each directly above the GPUs so that they would flow straight down over them and stay with a rectangular look everywhere rather than the less eye pleasing half-phi (greek letter) shape.

still, i think swiftech did some good work here with the block they released.

very good observation with regards to outer shape :up:

my signature design from a cosmetic standpoint is the angled shape of the inlet outlet plenum (similar to Komodo)

I considered aligning inlet and outlets with the GPU's but really didn't like it. I prefer to keep the tubing relatively close to each other for a cleaner installation. when tubes are too spread apart, I personally find it quite messy.

StAndrew
07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Gabe, just out of curiosity, how thick is the Cu over the GPU?

gabe
07-23-2009, 07:14 PM

The GTX285-P892 heatsink for GeForce GTX285 recently released P892 reference series is now available.

HoosTrax
07-23-2009, 07:37 PM
The GTX285-P892 heatsink for GeForce GTX285 recently released P892 reference series is now available.
Sweet! Is PPC going to be stocking those? I have a few other odds and ends that I need from there.

StAndrew
07-23-2009, 07:57 PM

gabe
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM

1mm

Arthur
07-24-2009, 01:52 PM
That block will rock under UV lights in near future LOL! :up:

gabe
08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
That block will rock under UV lights in near future LOL! :up:

Send me pics when you have it setup..