PDA

View Full Version : First thread in section....

LukeK
11-21-2003, 02:31 AM
Well, figured id up my post count +1 while putting my name in the history books. Sniff....im so proud of myself. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap (sub-200) eprom programmers that would work on programming newer motherboard bios chips...i know most of them are PMC flash chips and are PM49FL004A-T or SST brand equivalent....but i hate RMA'in and waiting any suggestions?

Charles Wirth
11-21-2003, 02:48 AM
It is possible to use a mobo to flash the bios and swap out to the next one to write without shutting down.

It might be possible to flash a bios for a different board.

Just a suggestion

bowman1964
11-21-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by FUGGER
It is possible to use a mobo to flash the bios and swap out to the next one to write without shutting down.

It might be possible to flash a bios for a different board.

Just a suggestion

i flash differant boards bios all the time..it works fine as long as the size is the same..

Holst
11-21-2003, 08:59 AM
And the voltage is the same bowman...

Nforce2 boards (and most modern Intel ones) have moved too 3.3v bios as opposed to 5v... these chips are not compatible.

However I have had 4mb bios working fine in 2mb boards... obviosuly you cant do that vica versa.

I havent seen any "cheap" CMOS flashers, but to be honest ive never looked hard. Ebay would be a good place to start.

bowman1964
11-21-2003, 09:07 AM
yep you right holst.

i just keep me a loose bag of chips.
check voltage and size and flash away...works pretty slick. :D