PDA

View Full Version : How bad is this

shadco
08-09-2002, 04:22 PM
I've spent quite a bit of time working on this and maybe my expectations were to high...

3DMark (http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4157876)

I am having a real problem understanding why it's so far off this one (http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4047443)

I think I need to go back to the stock cooler since I lost 9Mhz on the core OC.

Would 9Mhz have made that much of a difference?

Shad

JCviggen
08-09-2002, 05:02 PM
9 MHz GPU is like 100 points maybe. I have to say though, your results look normal. P4 at nearly 3 GHz against a 1950 XP?
This is not Super Pi, its 3Dmark. 3Dmark and P4 are buddies. With a 1 GHz advantage towards the P4, Ã:banana:nd faster memory (assuming you ran it 3:4), the P4 should be miles ahead, and it is, so.....

good work still

shadco
08-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Thanks and yes it was 3:4

It's the nature score that really bothers me and I don't know what to do about it.

Shad

MuFf|n M@N
08-09-2002, 06:33 PM
you tried these just yet?:

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY CHONG345

3DMark Tweaking Guide - READ ALL OF THIS CAREFULLY

Okay this is a very general tweaking guide for better 3dmarks scores. It will be more directed towards cards with Nvidia chipsets. Also these are not tweaks that I always use for normal everyday gaming etc. These are for use at your own risk. Also I will not be held responsible for any damage to anything that may be caused by a tweak. So here goes.

First off 3Dmarks gives the highest scores on a fresh install of whatever OS you use. After you get the OS installed its time to install all the tools needed. First you should install any agp drivers etc (ie. via 4 in 1, etc.). 4.37 4 in 1 seems to work the best for me. For Win 2k install Service Pack 2. Then its on to Video Card drivers. Some perform better than others. Best bet is to just test and see which runs best for you. You will also need direct x 8.1. Also get rivatuner and the 3DMarks program. After you got all this installed and everything seems to be running ok, defrag you hdd. Now on to the bios.

Assuming that you know generally how to overclock, you should try to get the highest FSB possible with most agressive memory timings. This will take a lot of trial and error but this will play a major role in your score. After you do that, if your card supports 4x agp and fastwrites then enable them. This is where I spent most of my time tweaking at first. Once you have learned exactly what your rig can do then everything will run much smoother. I must have benched 3dmarks at least a couple hundred times trying to get everything maxed out to as fast as possible in the bios I actually have notes of all the settings that I used so that I know exactly what I could and couldn't do. This also helped me to narrow down lockups, etc. CPU clock speed helps but higher memory bandwith is the greatest increase in scores.

Now we use rivatuner. Open rivatuner. This is where you will overclock your video card and do a lot of other tweaking. First we start with the Direct 3D. Open the Direct 3D options. They go like this.

Tab = tweak

Mipmapping = 3
Depth Buffering = disable W Buffer
Vsync = always off
Textures = Degree of Anisotrophy set to force level 0
Compatiblity = uncheck all the boxes
Antialiasing = uncheck box

Next go to the Open GL settings. Here are those

Tab = Tweak

Vsync = always off
Rendering = degree of anisotrophy to level 1 (off)
Antialiasing - uncheck box

Now with all these tweaks done, you can start to overclock the video card. Rivatuner is used for this as well. I usually use low level overclocking. Start with the mem first. Up it in small increments of 5-10mhz. Run a couple of tests. If you get no artifacts (spots, tear, etc.) then up it some more until it is unstable. Then back off by 5mhz and test again until you got it just right. Now do the same thing to the core. Most of the time if your core is too high you will lock up. If the mem is too high you usually get artifacts all over the place. Just a few is still benchable but some think its cheating. Obviously the higher the better but not in all cases. Sometimes if you are clocked to high you video card, cpu, etc will generate small errors and you will score lower.. These errors are so small that they don't cause you to crash or anything. Everything seems to be running fine but in fact the processing is slower due to the errors. Now you are ready to bench.

You should run 3DMark right when you boot into windows. This will make sure that none of your memory is being used by anything. Reboot everytime you run the tests. Also disable any background applications that might start on start up such as anitvirus, instant messengers, etc. Run only the game tests cause they are the only ones needed to provide a score. You'll save a lot more time this way when testing settings. After all the time you spent tweaking out the bios, and ocing the vid card your efforts should pay off when you see your score. If you crash or get stuck during 3dmark then you should try to figure out what went wrong through process of elimination. This will make things go much more smoothly. Be sure to publish your scores for others to compare. Its also good to keep in mind that when you compare scores with somebody else that their system might have something that they don't tell you about. Most people wonder why they score so much lower than some of the scores they see. Well usually they are just clocked higher on FSB, and vid card. There are a lot of people who have really high end cooling that push their parts to the max. And yes there are a lot of fake scores out there. They are easily spotted. Just be kind and ask them if they will remove it. Their e-mail adress is usually included with their score.

There are many other tweaks out there but most you have to find for yourself since all rigs are different. This is just a broad general guide for simple tweaking. There are other tweaks such as WPCREDIT, other bios settings, swap file optimizations, etc etc etc. Obviously any improvement in cooling that allows you to clock higher will help to get better scores. But basically after you have mastered your bios and use the other general tweaks the rest is up to you. This is where I spend most of my time tweaking now (software and upgraded cooling). I have already got all my bios settings to as fast as possible (given my cooling solution) and the vid card oc'ed to the max. The only tweaks left are software and just overall getting better cooling solutions for my cpu and video card. I hope this guide was helpfull. Happy Benching.

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY CHONG345

RichBa5tard
08-10-2002, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by shadco
Thanks and yes it was 3:4

It's the nature score that really bothers me and I don't know what to do about it.

Shad

I checked your score and you've got the same prob as me: everything's ok, but nature is far too low.

Haven't found a solution yet... anyone?

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4162616

Gamer
08-10-2002, 05:16 AM
try detonator destroyer and clean your reg could help.

clean install ??? :)

shadco
08-10-2002, 06:36 AM
That was a brandy new spankin clean install.

I'm gonna spend some time with the notes written by Chong345 and provided by Muffin m@n.

Shad