PDA

View Full Version : Will Newegg come thru for me or screw me?

TheDude
11-20-2003, 07:32 PM
I RMAed my 9700 Pro video card. It was never OCed or modded in any way. It just started showing artifacts during an install of XP. I have dealt with Newegg for several years now and never had any problems that were because of them and they have always come thru when I needed help. God knows, I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with them and sent them many customers.
I sent an email asking about an ETA on my card and the email I got back said that I had sent them a 9500 and they would decide what to do about it and let me know!
I have NEVER owned a 9500 in my life! The card was installed with 9700 drivers and showed up as a 9700 in device manager. Could it possibly have been a 9500? Even if it is and I really doubt that, I paid for a 9700 when I bought it new from them. They said it is possible that the maker (ATI) messed up and sent it out that way.
All I know is that I did nothing at all wrong and there is talk of not exchanging the defective card for a new one...of sending me back the old one, whatever it is.
I won't hear anything until tomorrow and I am really upset about it. I know some folks try to cheat them by doing stuff like that on purpose, but that is not the case with mine.
If they do me wrong, I will never spend another penny there as long as I live and I will stop strangers in the street to tell them the story of how they screwed me. I hope the one store I could always count on doesn't screw me!:(

sjohnson
11-20-2003, 07:43 PM
Good thoughts coming at you on that exchange! I've had my ups and downs with Newegg, still buy from them from time to time. Less than I used to though...

Pimpsho
11-20-2003, 08:29 PM
ahh man sorry to hear that! one thing with newegg that i like is the fast shipping i get from them...but ive heard some cases where it takes them a while for an rma to get through..hope ur lucky and get it back asap...and not a 9500;) maybe they will messup and give u a 9800xt;) haha *crosses finger*!! best of luck bro

Jeff
11-20-2003, 08:33 PM
Man, in the 100 to 110 transactions I've had with them I've never had a problem. And I've RMA'd 13 items without incident.

Good luck Dude. It sounds like something wacky happened and either they or ATI should step up to the plate. And I truely believe NewEgg will make good if it all possible.

TheDude
11-20-2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah....I have had many transactions with them and they have always come thru. The main reason I posted I guess was that this whole thing is so strange that I wondered if anyone else had gone thru something like this? Is it possible that it is a 9500? Keep in mind that it installed with 9700 drivers and showed as being a 9700 in device manager. Can you get a 9700 to accept 9500 drivers and if it does, will that cause it to show up as a 9700? I don't think Newegg is making this stuff up, but then neither am I. Has anyone ever gotten the wrong part in the wrong box from the factory?:confused:

Pimpsho, Last thing I want is for them to "mess up". I just want a working 9700 back, that's what I paid for. If they screwed up and sent a 9800, I would tell them. I would be doing to them what I am afraid they are going to do to me and I know how that feels.

TheDude
11-21-2003, 03:45 AM
No one else has ever had this happen? Great....there goes my 9700. :( If anyone has any ideas as to what could have happened, please post. I have no clue what to say to them today. I bought the card from them and did not alter it in any way, no OC, no mods, nothing.

Keeper
11-21-2003, 06:26 AM
The only way I could buy their story is if some RMA Tech wanted a free upgrade at your expence and switched cards with his own.

i can't imagine too many 9500 cards laying around when they start packing the 9700's at the factory.

They have a record of what you bought, if the have too, they should install the card to test it before giving you the screws.

TheDude
11-21-2003, 06:29 AM
I agree. I sent them an email begging them to install it before they make a decision. Maybe the 9700 was just packed in the wrong box....but I think I would have noticed that. I dunno what the hell is going on, but I don't like it.:(

sjohnson
11-21-2003, 09:14 AM
I've been refraining from giving my experience because this happened to me almost two years ago - but several kr7a "refurbs" sold to me by Newegg showed every sign of being customer returns that came in the door and were shipped out to me with zero refurbishment done. The boards were DOA or unusable.

I'd return one (at my expense) just to get another DOA from Newegg. None of the boards showed any sign of packaging that I get from ABIT on RMA's, there were even brochures and flyers for CPU and PCI products shipped with the product from Newegg. Newegg didn't do a whole lot to stand by their refurbs at that time, I got a "pound salt" kind of treatment from them.

I still buy from Newegg on new items, great company for that. But, if there's any kind of manufacturer RMA I use that, I will NOT deal with Newegg's RMA department any more.

TheDude
11-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Well, I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm going to call them and see what they have to say. If they screw me, all I can do is stop shopping there. I doubt that will cause them too much concern even though I have spent an awful lot of money there so far.

EDIT: I called and they are still "looking at it". They got it on 11/14 so they have had 7 days to "look at it". I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. Looks like I will need to find a new hardware site to spend my money with real soon. They promised to email me today with the verdict. I feel like a criminal and I didn't do a damn thing wrong. grrrr:mad:

Tedinde
11-21-2003, 02:55 PM
I checked the other day with new egg. I've has 322 transactions.

Check your RMA status DUDE. Usually takes 3 days max.

I've sent 3 9700pro's back. No problems ever. 2 of them they sent be back brand new cards, and the 3rd they refunded the money cause they were out of stock.

2 of them had severe corruption and one was totally dead. Of course none of them were due to any fault of mine

one of them i had to desolder the V mods and take off the ramsinks. I was surprised they took that one back.:D

JBELL
11-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by TheDude
Well, I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm going to call them and see what they have to say. If they screw me, all I can do is stop shopping there. I doubt that will cause them too much concern even though I have spent an awful lot of money there so far.

EDIT: I called and they are still "looking at it". They got it on 11/14 so they have had 7 days to "look at it". I have a bad feeling about this whole thing. Looks like I will need to find a new hardware site to spend my money with real soon. They promised to email me today with the verdict. I feel like a criminal and I didn't do a damn thing wrong. grrrr:mad:

directron.com??

pretty crappy you got this going on ... hope this works out if not Ill never buy from them in protest for ya.

Teus
11-21-2003, 03:45 PM
perhaps you bought a r9500 flashed to a r9700?

TheDude
11-21-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Teus
perhaps you bought a r9500 flashed to a r9700?

Possibly...but it was supposed to be a 9700, new in the box, unopened.

Teus
11-21-2003, 03:54 PM
was the box unopened?

quite odd, you bought such an expensive card and don't check stuff like the memory chips and the printings on it :/

TheDude
11-21-2003, 04:01 PM
Well, I guess I'm odd then because I just bought a $500 XT9800 and didn't check the printing on those chips either. I never had any reason to until now.

shray
11-21-2003, 04:11 PM

His memory isnt that bad :D
TheDude, have patience.. :) If it is true that you have been mistakenly given one, you will most likely receive something in life as an exchange (Hopefully the card you wanted ;) )

TheDude
11-21-2003, 04:14 PM
If it is true that you have been mistakenly given one, you will most likely receive something in life as an exchange (Hopefully the card you wanted

Geesh....why was I worried? The Universe will pay me back and make it all better. Yeah...right! I'd rather have my card, thanks anyway.

TheDude
11-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Well.....finally got my answer:

"The card has been inspected and we must apologize for the mistake was in our part. However, the card is currently out of stock and you will be contacted by one of our representatives with an option for refund or replacement. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I still want to know what happened and why I had to go thru this, but I am happy that Newegg is still the same store they have been and I will continue to do most of my shopping there.
:D

ZhaoYun
11-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Way to go newegg! :D

TheDude
11-21-2003, 06:09 PM
I pressed them for an explanation and here's what they sent me:
"It was a warehouse error, two cards came in at the same time, your card and a 9500. The RMA personnel mixed them up but was solved by our supervisor. We do apologize for the error and will contact you regarding the replacement for the RMA. Thanks for being understanding."

Tedinde
11-21-2003, 09:26 PM
The card has been inspected and we must apologize for the mistake was in our part. However, the card is currently out of stock and you will be contacted by one of our representatives with an option for refund or replacement. We apologize for the inconvenience."

That's my favorite response. I bought a 9700 pro from newegg when they first came out. Like $369. 8 months later i killed it. RMA, it was a gigabyte, out of stock. Refund $369!!!!!

Buy 9800pro, and have change left over!!!

TheDude
11-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I've done that too, but this card was almost new. I only paid $300 for it. Still a good down payment on a 9800 Pro. ;)

Pimpsho
11-22-2003, 12:00 AM
sweet that good to hear! how long did it take for them to respond to your latest email stating that they will inform u when they get some 9700's in? they seem to be exceptionally fast with everything they do...props to newegg

TheDude
11-22-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Pimpsho
sweet that good to hear! how long did it take for them to respond to your latest email stating that they will inform u when they get some 9700's in? they seem to be exceptionally fast with everything they do...props to newegg

That was yesterday....I imagine they will call Monday as this is the weekend. However, I'm not waiting for a 9700 to come in. I will call them and ask for a credit amount towards a 9800 purchase on Monday.

Pimpsho
11-22-2003, 09:47 AM
ooh do they do that? r u getting the pro or xt?

TheDude
11-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Pimpsho
ooh do they do that? r u getting the pro or xt?

I will probably get another XT...by adding $166 to refund of $308

TheDude
11-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Newegg came thru for me again! I'm getting a Sapphire 9800 Pro...they are refunding me my $ for the 9700.
Ceasar if you are reading this...thanks! You da man! :D

Lithan
11-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Newegg kicks some ass. Though I wish they at least inspected merchandise before they put it on refurbs I've gotten visibly damaged parts and spent about 50-75$ of MY MONEY Rma'ing them.

bowman1964
11-24-2003, 02:07 PM
well i see how they screw up bud...
i put in a rma last week on some memory and a motherboard...sorta burned.

anyways...i get it ready and it goes out 15 min ago ups 2 day air..
i set back down at my pc at work and i get a email saying my rma has arrived and my replacement will be shipping soon.
WTF they are lost....i guess someone shipped something back in with a simerlar RMA and some kidd asigned it to me...

so i have emailed them before they tell me i am returning somthing that i didnt order.

they have lost there minds

:rolleyes:

TheDude
11-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Can you imagine how busy that place must be? When you think about it, it's a wonder they do as well as they do. At least when they screw up once in a while, they make it right. I talked to Cesar who is a supervisor there and he really does care about how people view the company and making them happy when there is a screw up. That makes a difference to me. If they had a bad attitude, that would be more than I could take. ;)

Iridium192_217
11-25-2003, 02:43 PM
thedude - i sent you a PM, when you get a chance could you give me a response?