PDA

View Full Version : I need a GPS unit.

shoota
07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm wondering what models you guys have or recommend. I'll be using it mostly in the car, around the Tampa Bay area with occasional long distance trips. If you feel like a certain feature is noteworthy let's hear it!

Russian
07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, i would recommend something from Garmin or TomTom. Navigon is good too. From what ive seen, TomTom is the most descriptive when verbally describing where you need to go since most of the time you wont be looking at it. And for me, thats the most important feature. But ive gotta be quite honest with you... i dont own a GPS since i dont need one. But my parents have been going through GPS devices like no other and from my experience Navigon and TomTom are the best. And with TomTom you can load custom maps and load redlight cameras either with TomTom's software or Trapster, which also includes where police often hide and other speedtraps.

shoota
07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
ah cool. thanks for the info. i was looking at the garmin 255w. it's currently on sale at the egg for 160 + fs. it's getting good reviews at other sites, seems like a good deal.

Russian
07-14-2009, 10:58 PM
ah cool. thanks for the info. i was looking at the garmin 255w. it's currently on sale at the egg for 160 + fs. it's getting good reviews at other sites, seems like a good deal.

My recommendation, buy it through costco. If you dont like it, you can return it within 90 days. ;)

shoota
07-14-2009, 11:03 PM
don't u have to have a membership at costco tho..

The0men
07-15-2009, 02:00 AM
The tom tom's through my experience so far are the easiest to use,
while navman are a right pain in the butt. Garmin are pretty good to.

I also found the only one with a touch screen that did what I wanted
it to do accurately was the tom tom. This is noteworthy
because should you try changing your route with a Navman en route
you will need to pull over and try several times before you get the thing working.

Make sure you have the latest maps !! I don't know about in America
but here in Aus the maps are so expensive that you can buy a new
GPS for a few dollars more.

CCUABIDExORxDIE
07-15-2009, 07:19 AM
i have a tomtom one XLS and i have used it for a straight year, atleast 30 hrs a week for pizza delivery. i've used other peoples gps units like a garmin (it was a low end model, no real big bells or whistles) and nothing compared to the tomtom.

shoota
07-15-2009, 07:55 AM
how has been getting the latest maps been on your tomtom?