PDA

View Full Version : New AOpen AK77-333 Board...Won't Post

synnyster
08-09-2002, 12:59 PM
I posted a thread earlier about my Gigabyte not posting after it crashed. I could get it to post only in 100FSB, and it still wouldn't let me install windows. Well, I returned the board and bought me this AOpen hoping to solve the problem. Right off the bat, it won't even post. Everything turns on but no beep from bios and nothing on the monitor. I'm starting to believe my processor perhaps is to blame...but I've been trying to fix my computer for the past month now to no avail. I had sent my chip back to vendor and they tested saying it ran fine. So what am I to do? Perhaps go back to Intel when I never had problems building a PC.

TheDude
08-09-2002, 03:15 PM
Don't know what you have tried yet. I would run it outside of the case with only 1 stick of ram, video card, cpu, heatsink and fan. Jump the power header with a screw driver to turn it on. Does the fan spin? Will it post? No? check power supply...reseat ram and video card...try moving ram to another slot...check seating of cpu. Is cpu unlocked? If yes check unlock to make sure it's good. Clear CMOS. If cpu is locked...make sure multiplier is set correctly..clear CMOS.
If it posts.. ..put just these components in your case and connect the header pins from case. Still posting? If not it's probably the header pins connected incorrectly or loose...or the board is shorting on the case somewhere. Listen for beep codes.
If it still posts..start adding components one by one until it stops posting to discover which one is the problem.

Hope this helps..follow in that order and you should discover the culprit.:)

synnyster
08-09-2002, 10:33 PM
Figured out the problem. Of all things, it was an IRQ conflict with my network card. I can't believe it was that simple to fix. Now I finally got my new machine up after a month of going through 3 boards. So relieved!

Sayajin
08-10-2002, 03:37 AM
well what are the benchmark results! eheheh

prsinger
08-10-2002, 11:03 AM
synnyster,

Reading your last post reminded me of a similar situation I experienced more than a year ago. I'd completely forgotten about it! It was either a Netgear or a Linksys nic, Netgear I think. What brand/model was your problem card?

TheDude
08-10-2002, 12:12 PM
Congrats on getting it sorted out! :toast:

synnyster
08-10-2002, 12:46 PM
It was a linksys NIC. I had the NIC in the 3rd PCI slot and my Fortissimo2 in the 5th PCI slot. I switched the 2 cards but my sound card wouldn't work. So I lefted the Fortissimo2 in the 4th slot and moved the NIC into the 3rd slot. Now it works like a charm.

SPQQKY
08-10-2002, 05:40 PM
I ran an AOpen AK77-333 for a while and when I first got it I could not get the board to boot with my NIC (Linksys) in the 5th PCI slot. After I moved it the board ran smooth as silk. It was a tad slower than my 8K3A+ and obviously wouldn't OC near as well, but I really like AOpen boards. Enjoy.:toast:

synnyster
08-10-2002, 09:23 PM
I got the Aopen AK77-333 because it was at a good price and it was black...really cool looking. Can't complain.