PDA

View Full Version : All UK mobiles to be in open directory!

articu
07-11-2009, 01:44 AM
Next week all UK mobiles will be on a directory, created by 118800.co.uk, which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers so will be open for cold calling. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. You may want to unsubscribe any personal mobiles or advise friends and family accordingly.

Follow this LINK (http://www.118800.co.uk) and go to the home page, then select Ex-Directory at the top right and follow the instructions which are quite painless :up:

For more info see here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/8091621.stm)

Site temporarily down at time of posting

Chris_redfield
07-11-2009, 02:32 AM
I doubt that cold calling will become an issue for mobile phones because the cost of the calls are so high. When you also throw into the mix that the company making the call will also have to pay a connection fee and for the first minute on each call (even if you don't pick up the call will start to go to voice mail so the company making the call will still be responsible for a charge even though they haven't spoken to you face to face.)

Being ex directory on a land line doesn't stop people from cold calling you either. In order to try and make sure that you don't get sales call you need to sign up to TPS. But even then unscrupulous companies will still get you information.

articu
07-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Basically, these things are a possibility, even if its low. My details are in enough places i can't control, the ones I can, I will.

Chris_redfield
07-11-2009, 05:30 AM
If companies really wanted to cold call you on a mobiles though they would already be doing it. They don't need an open directory. Whats keeping your phone safe as opposed to your land line is that its so expensive to call a mobile it doesn't make financial sense for these companies to be doing it.

Hell I've heard stories of agents being given a list of numbers to call that have just been copied directly from the telephone preference scheme.