PDA

View Full Version : Can you get a Ticket because of Loud Subwoofers?

slim142
07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Hi

I have always heard when driving you are suppose to turn down your music when you pass by cops just to make sure they dont stop you because of loud music (talking about when you play music with loud subwoofers). Even if they dont stop you, I dont think you want to catch the cops attention right?

Anyways, I would like to know something before anything happens. Can you actually get a ticket for playing your music (with subwoofers) too loud?
Does this vary on each state?

Of course, I dont mean playing them in your parking lot or next to neighbors. Im talking about playing music while driving.

Movieman
07-10-2009, 03:10 PM
yes, but varies by city or town..some have laws, some don't..

RAW-Raptor22
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
A friend of mine was speeding about 40 in a 25 in front of the school and blared his woofers right at an intersection where a cop was waiting. Double violations stink. :p:

:rofl:

[XC] Hicks121
07-10-2009, 03:21 PM
yes, but varies by city or town..some have laws, some don't..

QFT:yepp:

dengyong
07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes and you should if it's loud enough for people to hear in their house.

HuffPCair
07-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes, but if you have them that loud then WOW you have no real music taste. If it is just straight up bass then whats the point of the other speakers?

STEvil
07-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, noise violations.

Huff - You can play them loud and still have musical tastes ;)

edit, moved thread.

HuffPCair
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, noise violations.

Huff - You can play them loud and still have musical tastes ;)

edit, moved thread.

Yeah I know I have some nice JLs but it seems around here many people have the bass so loud that there is no way you can even hear the artist speak so I never really got that.

slim142
07-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Well yeah STEvil and I probably sound like Bass Heads but some people like Bass more than other. Depends on your car too you know, a 12" wont be enough to give that "bass level" to a SUV as it would to a small coupe.

Anyways, I live 2 blocks away from the police department and my city is a safe and nice city thanks to it. I think Im the only person around with a subwoofer and before upgrading to a more powerful one, I want to make sure I wont get a ticket after spending a lot of money in the CVX Im plannng to get.

Thanks to all for the help
Now I just need to check the P. deparment and ask them about the regulations regarding car noise while driving, or maybe I shouldnt go at all? lol

dengyong
07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
In my area, if you can hear the stereo 60 feet from the car it's a violation.

slim142
07-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Hearing it... but feeling it? :D
Yeah I would say they consider it the samething even though is not

trance565
07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
generally it's 150db = violation, this includes, bass, music, exhaust, etc. noise pollution is what it's called

dengyong
07-10-2009, 07:11 PM
generally it's 150db = violation, this includes, bass, music, exhaust, etc. noise pollution is what it's called

150db would damage your hearing... are you sure about that ?

slim142
07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I believe anything over 100dbs is considered "too loud"

Jamesrt2004
08-16-2009, 03:15 AM
over 100db in UK, although they don't really stop you :)

Jochenp
08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Wow you're badass

ripken204
08-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Yes, but if you have them that loud then WOW you have no real music taste. If it is just straight up bass then whats the point of the other speakers?

something i totally agree with :toast:
i can't stand the people who only care about bass.
but then again, its probably better hearing bass than it is hearing a horrid singing with horrid lyrics.

simply, if i can feel your bass while i am driving, i should be legally allowed to give you a nice slap across the face.

trance565
08-25-2009, 11:18 PM
generally i believe noise pollution starts at 120db? i know for exhaust noise polution it's 120 in houston, my brother got a ticket in his camaro for that, it was great.

JamesBong420
08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
i received a noise violation ticket from a cop about 5 years ago.. i did not even see him until i had parked my car. turned around after shutting my door and BAM!!! ticket! :p::rolleyes: and to make things even worse.. that very night my L7 15" and mtx class d 2000w amp got jacked.. :(

ripken204
08-26-2009, 08:03 AM
i bet the cop took it, lol

slim142
08-26-2009, 08:29 AM
I bet there were others following you besides that cop lol

Dam a ticket with an L7 15"? Thats like 800watts RMS. Im about to get 1k watts RMS :eek:

AndrewZorn
08-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Yes and you should if it's loud enough for people to hear in their house.
when will they learn
i wish more people used headphones/low vol for individual listening, and loudness only for events that are tolerable and short-lived

psyconut713
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I love my bass, I love my exhaust, and I listen to tons of music, most types people don't associate with "Thugs" or "Punks" and definitely don't think would need bass. I use it, very loudly and a lot. It makes me feel like I'm at the show, when my chest hurts, or when I feel notes that you cant normally hear. However, local laws must be observed, normally after 11pm, but thats here on Long Island. Enjoy your music as you please friends, and if outside noise disturbs you, please remember to insulate.

Catch my G8 GT to get my plate number if you don't like my exhaust, or my music, cause you'll hear one of them, if not both.

slim142
08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Well, I hope this thread doesnt become a fighting ring.

I like my music loud specially BASSY. If anybody thinks the opposite, I dont have a problem. Just respect everybodys music taste.

Splave
08-26-2009, 10:41 AM
OP you playin bass-ball? ;)

If you cant feel it in your heart its not loud enough

slim142
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Haha something like that LOL

But yeah, I like my songs with loud bass. It just makes music different. When you have subwoofers, you just dont hear it, you feel it :rolleyes:

Yesterday I was in a store playing music in the parking lot while waiting for my cousin to buy some stuff and for some reason people thought a war was going on inside the car. They looked at the car with a funny/strange face (like they never heard subwoofers before). The funny part is that this was done with 400watts RMS only :p:

Kristall-99
08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
or they thought something totally different. Cars that are beaters with obvious subs are pointless imo. but if you have a half good looking car and you insulate you shouldn't be going that loud when you can hear the sub 2 blocks away.

RAW-Raptor22
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
or they thought something totally different. Cars that are beaters with obvious subs are pointless imo. but if you have a half good looking car and you insulate you shouldn't be going that loud when you can hear the sub 2 blocks away.

Kinda like my car..............

STEvil
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
OP you playin bass-ball? ;)

If you cant feel it in your heart its not loud enough

You know its getting up there when you can play "Radar" by Britney Spears and your entire dash and steering wheel moves half an inch... havent even ported my box yet ;)

slim142
08-27-2009, 04:52 AM

Well at least for me, I cant hear the outside noise the car makes (steel shaking or wheel covers shaking if any). I dont know about other cars since I havent really heard anybodys car with a louder sub than mine (or if you get to listen to the steel from the outside shaking at certain loudness level).

The car is a Ford Expedition 2007 so I think its a decent car to play music on. I know what you mean when you say "half good looking car".

Remember, you dont hear it 2 blocks away, you feel it.