PDA

View Full Version : What is the funtion of ARM 7 in the NVIDIA Tegra arc??

ajaidev
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I know the ARM 11 is the OS/ Main processer so is the arm 7 a co-processor ?? I am not very sure where the ARM 7 fits in the arc. can anyone tell me whats its for???

EliTE22
07-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I know the ARM 11 is the OS/ Main processer so is the arm 7 a co-processor ?? I am not very sure where the ARM 7 fits in the arc. can anyone tell me whats its for???

why do think it has a arm 7 processor also? just wondering, i have never seen where it said it has a arm7 also?

ToTTenTranz
07-08-2009, 02:09 AM
The ARM7 is the low-power CPU, whereas the ARM11 is the full-power CPU.

ARM7 is used when playing music or when the device is in stanby mode.

Helmore
07-08-2009, 04:45 AM
It mainly does things that don't require massive amounts of processing power, but that need to be done anyway and using the ARM11 is a bit overkill. Like handling the phone signal and stuff like that. My guess would be that pretty much every current phone chip has some other ARM core next to its main core, Qualcomm's MSM7200A chipset for example has a 274 MHz ARM9 core next to its ARM11 core.

As for that Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset, here is a spec sheet: http://www.ent.eetchina.com/PDF/2007FEB/DTCOL_2007FEB15_AVDE_RFR_AN_01.pdf
Here is a snippet from the CPU specs:

Integrated 400 MHz ARM11™ applications
processor and 274 MHz ARM9™ microprocessor
deliver accelerated applications processing and
simultaneous modem processing; the dual-core
implementation provides hardware-based
security domains

ToTTenTranz
07-08-2009, 06:33 AM
It mainly does things that don't require massive amounts of processing power, but that need to be done anyway and using the ARM11 is a bit overkill. Like handling the phone signal and stuff like that. My guess would be that pretty much every current phone chip has some other ARM core next to its main core, Qualcomm's MSM7200A chipset for example has a 274 MHz ARM9 core next to its ARM11 core.

As for that Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset, here is a spec sheet: http://www.ent.eetchina.com/PDF/2007FEB/DTCOL_2007FEB15_AVDE_RFR_AN_01.pdf

I was thinking about the ARM7 use in Zune HD. Of course, if nVidia gets a design win in a cellphone, it should also be good for managing the phone signal and such.

ajaidev
07-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Ya you are right i got some extra info the ARM7 is not a co processor its a same level chip as the ARM 11. When the device needs less power the whole OS handling is shifted to the ARM 7 and then the ARM11 is switched off.

Basically ARM 11 and ARM 7 do not work together asin side by side they work in turns. This gives high battery life to the chip and is a very very intelligent thing to do. The MSM7200 has a coprocessor that work together. If some work has to shifted to the ARM9 it can be done but not the whole OS Operations that's exactly what Nvidia has done.

The other thing bugging me is the sleep state of the components?? Wht tech allows full shutdown??