PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions

OldChap
07-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Just put this on one machine to trial

I have the 3cores cpu only problem and in preferences there is no use gpu whilst running checkbox. What is the fix?

another question is ...In folding I cannot mix card types unless the shader number is an integer of the other card what about with grid?

What are you guys overclocking? core? shaders?mem?

obviously I know nothing....how long to complete a wu? cos the elapsed time seems to be registering cpu time

Running xp 32 by the way

Edit: why did I come here??? since the start if gpu folding if you get a knackered wu it sticks and eue's til the pause 24hrs thing. nobody has tried to fix that so......F*ck'em I'm moving 2 machines to work where it will be harder to babysit them

PoppaGeek
07-05-2009, 05:06 PM
You need Boinc version 6.4.5 or higher. I am running 6.6.36 (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php). The you should see the Use GPU option in preferences Processor Usage tab.

Looks like WUs run 8 to 12 hours. But I am a noob too. Mike or others will fill ya in soon.

Glad you are giving it a try.

:toast:

OldChap
07-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I just checked...i've got 6.4.5 with the above problems

shadowwind
07-06-2009, 10:06 AM
OC the 6,6,36 solved my problems as for overclocking ive just started it off at skock and im bumping it up slowly for right now to see if ocing makes aa difference right now i got my shader at 1863 core 740 mem 1110 i will bump it up more tomorrow .:D also my temps are sitting at a cool 49c im liking that.

PoppaGeek
07-06-2009, 11:48 AM
I know what ya mean OC that is one reason I am here too. From the sounds of it if ya get GPUGrid working then it works. And if they make the mistake they do not blame others they admit their mistake. So hopefully this will be a friendlier project to work with.

Only thing I see so far is ya do not seem to get much response in their forums sometimes. But the XS team can figure it out I am sure!

OldChap
07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
OC the 6,6,36 solved my problems as for overclocking ive just started it off at skock and im bumping it up slowly for right now to see if ocing makes aa difference right now i got my shader at 1863 core 740 mem 1110 i will bump it up more tomorrow .:D also my temps are sitting at a cool 49c im liking that.

Thanks PG, 6.6.36 now running, elapsed time now showing GPU instead of cpu...much better, as is running the 4th core on wcg simultaniously.

I started this with the same overclocks as used for folding...in fact for the first 20 minutes my 2 260's were both folding and running grid :D

Makes me want to play with that cos with the core 14 pulsing and the core 11 adjustable I'd love to see what would happen. :yepp:

No time just now though...preparing to put my two rigs off the bench and into a small 22u server rack so it can live at work....Cheaper electric :D

Still waiting for a psu delivery for my qx which is waiting on the bench:(

shadowwind
07-06-2009, 02:53 PM
i added 3 gtx 250s to the grid i got 2 gtx260s i will add someday right now they are busy in the wife computer but that will change soon lol ,
OC are you running your gtx 9800 x2 and what are you getting for temps, :D
its all mikes fault we are here on the grid some one needed to help him clear the cobwebs out of this forum its dusty in here.:rofl:

PoppaGeek
07-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah lets blame Mikie!:hrhr:

OldChap
07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I started out with a pair of 260's for 24 hours....I've just swapped everything around so currently I've just a 9800gtx on grid....I'll probably leave it at just that one til the weekend when I'll re-do the thermal paste on the remaining gx2's before playing with those that will take me the other side of 7mill folding for xs and with coming up to 3 at Pure I'm keeping that running. Hope to pick up a 240shaders card for the new build.....Does anyone know about mixing shaders/cards on grid?

From what I've seen so far gpu grid runs cooler than 511's

shadowwind
07-06-2009, 05:53 PM
im going to start folding in september when it start to get cooler then i dont need to worry about temp errors while im away from home that way there im mot making my kids check my computers to see if every thing is ok. i drive my kids crazy when im not home.:rofl:

MikeB12
07-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Yeah lets blame Mikie!:hrhr:

that's what usually happens because "I'm da man.."

that's an old fah joke. maybe some of the fah guys will elaborate. especialy Dak! he was the instigator.

Naja002
07-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Does anyone know about mixing shaders/cards on grid?

Yes, Mixing Cards (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=1016)

I did not re-read the whole thread, so whatever "questions" or "issues" there were may have been resolved. :up:

OldChap
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Excellent link, Thanks, all I needed to know....simply put you can mix cards in one system currently with no detrimental effect so for you upgraders you can add the new in a spare slot and not have to remove the old :)

Naja002
07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Right, but just for the record--it's Nvidia only. :up:

OldChap
07-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Sorry, Naja, I've never owned an ati card so I forget....but I'm old so I'm allowed to forget...... I need reminding alot but usually I have Mike to remind me cos ............he da man

Are you saying that Mixing Ati and Nvidia won't work by the way?

shadowwind
07-07-2009, 11:29 AM
hehe me too that's mike job to keep us old fart reminded of things we forget. its all way a joy to see mike helping in my case thanks MIKE.

Naja002
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry, Naja, I've never owned an ati card so I forget....but I'm old so I'm allowed to forget...... I need reminding alot but usually I have Mike to remind me cos ............he da man

Are you saying that Mixing Ati and Nvidia won't work by the way?

Correct--ATI currently will not run at all on GpuGrid. The only reason I posted was because there's enough new people checking out GpuGrid--I would hate to see someone buy an ATI card thinking they could "mix" it. :up:

PoppaGeek
07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
So Naja, there ya were snoozing quietly in the warm sunshine and then, all of a sudden, an influx of n00bs! Glad for the company or feeling intruded on? We are kinda noisy at times but most of us are too old to cause much trouble. :rofl:

:toast:

Naja002
07-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey, PG, all are :welcome: in my book! :up: I've been hoping more XSers would join in. Everyday we are getting further behind the #1 spot. With some real effort--we can climb quickly! :up: This team has done very well all along considering the number of active members at any given time. It can only get better with more people! :up: There are a lot of empty PCI-E slots floating around here.....:yepp:

BTW, the quiet is nice, but I'll only have to jump in here for so long. Once others are uptospeed.....I can go back to the snoozing and sunshine! :up:

shadowwind
07-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Naja im thinking your not going to get much snoozing with this new crowd of peeps we are a loud bunch.:D you might want to move your computers outside
the resting is over,:ROTF:

OldChap
07-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok......Who is running more than 2 cards on a mobo?? how??

I offered my k9a2 plat with 5 cards to gpugrid and it only uses 2 cards???

added to that at first glance if I run gpufolding on the others the ppd is reduced

This was just a 1hour trial earlier this evening but it has opened a whole can of worms for me...need more time to look at this

DAK1640
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Mike does help keep us older folks from forgetting because....

He da Man !!!

Naja002
07-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Naja im thinking your not going to get much snoozing with this new crowd of peeps we are a loud bunch.:D you might want to move your computers outside
the resting is over,:ROTF:

No worries...when I'm not snoozing I'm out in the cooling shed. :up:

Ok......Who is running more than 2 cards on a mobo?? how??

I offered my k9a2 plat with 5 cards to gpugrid and it only uses 2 cards???

added to that at first glance if I run gpufolding on the others the ppd is reduced

This was just a 1hour trial earlier this evening but it has opened a whole can of worms for me...need more time to look at this

I do not run more then 2 cards (Gpus), but there are folks that do. You may want to surf around the GpuGrid forums (http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_forum.php?id=1) to find out what the trick(s) are....

2 cards in 1 rig do seem to run slower then individual cards in separate rigs. Make sure that you do not have it set in control panel to turn off the monitor. It also helped on my i7 rig to add 2 vga dummies to the 2nd card, instead of just 1....and in vista, extend the desktop to both "monitors" on that 1 card--3 desktops total. Hope that makes sense....:up:

What cards are you running on the mb and how many?

INFRNL
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I have 1 rig with 3 gpus, but that one is still currently on F@H. It should automatically run any available GPU, but doesnt always start right away. At least from what I have noticed.

Naja002
07-09-2009, 05:09 AM
I have 1 rig with 3 gpus, but that one is still currently on F@H. It should automatically run any available GPU, but doesnt always start right away. At least from what I have noticed.

I think what he was getting at and what I was getting at is that even though all gpus will run....1 or more will run slower. I went through my 1st issue with this last summer on F@H. I don't remember the "fix", but I had 1 card running 100% and the other card running @ 50%. :down: Same thing can happen here on Gpugrid. I keep tabs on my cards via Boincview. Since all of my rigs are networked into Boincview, I can sit here and compare the speeds on all 6 cards. Another way is long-term RAC. My dual gpu rigs do not produce double the points of the single gpu rigs--as far as I know: that's just the way it is. However, you should be able to get both cards running 100% compared to each other. Hope that makes sense.....

shadowwind
07-10-2009, 03:26 PM
i took 2 cards out of one computer and im now running them in 2 other computers i have, and im surprise how fast they rack up the points. im thinking
of getting 2 micro atx boards arming them with gts 250s for the gpugrid and a low watt quad for wcg and maybe a 450 watt psu and cut the power bill down some , OC if i pull the triger on what im thinking of buying im going to be riding on your coat tail all the way to the top, i just need to figure out what im going to do with my 9800 gtx+card it needs a new heatsink and fan,:D

OldChap
07-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I've seen quite a few "may be faulty" sales on ebay...could be a source of parts???

shadowwind
07-10-2009, 04:00 PM
i will check it out new egg got what i need for a heatsink and fan , then i would need another micro board i got a kuma cpu sitting here doing nothing at all hmm need to check it out with the wife im beginning to think the wife hates the egg.:D

DAK1640
07-10-2009, 04:02 PM
OK Guys, back off...Da Goosey wants to see what's going on her with GPUGRID...DaGoosey is WAY BUZZED right now.:rofl:

shadowwind
07-10-2009, 04:29 PM
:welcome: goosey im ridding with Mr Walker right now im a little numb but getting their.:D:D:D