PDA

View Full Version : GPUGRID...Only 16 Peeps?

DAK1640
07-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Are there only 16 people running GPUGRID for XS?
Is the output similar to F@H?
Is it a separate project from WCG?

Thx....snooping around.

MikeB12
07-04-2009, 05:02 PM
if you're already running the wcg boinc client.
basically all you do is attach to http://www.gpugrid.net in the boinc client. you may ahve to register if you haven't.

and make sure you have "Advanced prefs-use gpu" checked...

the gotcha is:
if you originally installed the boinc client as a protected account, then you need to uninstall it and reinstall it as an unprotected.

this is a ss from the boinc guide here.. just to show you the check box that needds to be unchecked, otherwise the gpu wont run..
DONT CHECK THIS AS THE PIC SAYS<.. UNCHECK IT! (this is a ss from hotwaxisbad's wcg client guide)
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/hotwaxisbad/Captureboinc61.jpg

I b1tched about this here if you wanna see my little headache with it. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225425

very simple once you figure this out.

my gtx260 does about 13k rac boinc.
the gts250's do about 9-10k rac boinc.

DAK1640
07-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Thx Mike...I think I'm gonnagive you a head start...:up:

Angmaar
07-04-2009, 07:38 PM
if you're already running the wcg boinc client.
basically all you do is attach to http://www.gpugrid.net in the boinc client. you may ahve to register if you haven't.

and make sure you have "Advanced prefs-use gpu" checked...

the gotcha is:
if you originally installed the boinc client as a protected account, then you need to uninstall it and reinstall it as an unprotected.

this is a ss from the boinc guide here.. just to show you the check box that needds to be unchecked, otherwise the gpu wont run..
DONT CHECK THIS AS THE PIC SAYS<.. UNCHECK IT! (this is a ss from hotwaxisbad's wcg client guide)
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee336/hotwaxisbad/Captureboinc61.jpg

I b1tched about this here if you wanna see my little headache with it. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225425

very simple once you figure this out.

my gtx260 does about 13k rac boinc.
the gts250's do about 9-10k rac boinc.

In my "Joining WCG The Easy Way" thread I fixed it so that people don't check that box that caused you issues.

MikeB12
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
In my "Joining WCG The Easy Way" thread I fixed it so that people don't check that box that caused you issues.

Thanks. I think it's only a gpugrid thing. and tbh, it may have repercussions for people who aren't admin user accounts on their machine.. like we have any of those at xs.. :rolleyes: but ya know...

the main point was if you installed the boinc client with that protected account, then gpugrid wont run.. the boinc client has to be reinstalled with that box unchecked to allow gpugrid to pick up work. I have no idea why they have it setup like that. but they do.... :rolleyes:

Naja002
07-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Are there only 16 people running GPUGRID for XS?
Is the output similar to F@H?
Is it a separate project from WCG?

Thx....snooping around.

Hey DAK,

There was only about 1.25 people running XS GpuGrid for months. :up: There was only ~6, maybe 8 running until very recently. With all of the Gpu/GpuGrid talk lately and the disgruntled F@Hers coming over we are starting to build up steam again. Starting to move up the ranks again after being stagnant for at least a few months. RAC is building. :up:

It's a good project to help get the GPU DC sorted out. They help Boinc (and vice versa), they've helped Seti, MW and the other Boinc GPU new comers. Instinct and intuition tells me that WCG has been waiting for the Boinc community to get the GPU stuff sorted out.....then they (WCG) will step in and run a GPU client in whatever way they can or choose to....:up: With double-precision here (ATI) and on it's way (Nvidia)....Gpu DC is only going to get bigger and better. :up:

F@H is a good project--no doubt. I started running Gpus with F@H. They've done a great job of getting Gpu DC off the ground, but I think it's all the peripheral stuff that turns some folks off. Plus F@H is basically an island. Boinc projects range far and wide, so whatever you do now just adds Boinc-points to whatever you do in the future.

Bgriffs
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I'd run it if it would support ATI cards. My 4870 is itching for work and for some reason I have issues with the F@H client. Here's hoping they get a ATI client up and running soon.

loonym
07-06-2009, 03:26 PM
I tried awhile back, sli is no go so I detached.

DAK1640
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Hey DAK,

There was only about 1.25 people running XS GpuGrid for months. :up: There was only ~6, maybe 8 running until very recently. With all of the Gpu/GpuGrid talk lately and the disgruntled F@Hers coming over we are starting to pick up steam again. Starting to move up the ranks again after being stagnant for at least a few months. RAC is building. :up:

It's a good project to help get the GPU DC sorted out. They help Boinc (and vice versa), they've helped Seti, MW and the other Boinc GPU new comers. Instinct and intuition tells me that WCG has been waiting for the Boinc community to get the GPU stuff sorted out.....then they (WCG) will step in and run a GPU client in whatever way they can or choose to....:up: With double-precision here (ATI) and on it's way (Nvidia)....Gpu DC is only going to get bigger and better. :up:

F@H is a good project--no doubt. I started running Gpus with F@H. They've done a great job of getting Gpu DC off the ground, but I think it's all the peripheral stuff that turns some folks off. Plus F@H is basically an island. Boinc projects range far and wide, so whatever you do now just adds Boinc-points to whatever you do in the future.
Good input Naja002, thx

Naja002
07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd run it if it would support ATI cards. My 4870 is itching for work and for some reason I have issues with the F@H client. Here's hoping they get a ATI client up and running soon.

From what I understand--the ball is in ATI's court. Nvidia picked up the ball and ran with it way back. ATI is the one lagging--at least in this area. ATI has apparently recognized the benefit (to themselves) of joining the Gpu DC world, so once they get it together....there will be more options for people with ATI cards.

I tried awhile back, sli is no go so I detached.

Hey loonym,

You can switch sli on and off and suspend GpuGrid while gaming. I've never done sli, so I'm not sure if you would have to remove the bridge....? :shrug: I don't think so though....wouldn't be hard to find out....

Good input Naja002, thx

No sweat, DAK. You can clean house over here just as you do now at F@H. And you know you're always :welcome:

loonym
07-06-2009, 04:36 PM
If I recall, it was a bit more than that. I couldn't enable sli at all with the cuda drivers I tried.

Naja002
07-06-2009, 04:46 PM
If I recall, it was a bit more than that. I couldn't enable sli at all with the cuda drivers I tried.

Strange. But like I said--I've never done sli, so I'm not up to speed. Maybe corrections have been made with the drivers, Boinc or GpuGrid. They've all been hard at work....:up:

Would you happen to recall what drivers....at least generally: 177.xx, 182.xx, etc

Bgriffs
07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
From what I understand--the ball is in ATI's court. Nvidia picked up the ball and ran with it way back. ATI is the one lagging--at least in this area. ATI has apparently recognized the benefit (to themselves) of joining the Gpu DC world, so once they get it together....there will be more options for people with ATI cards.

Thanks for the update. Now I know who to blame. ;) :up:

Naja002
07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the update. Now I know who to blame. ;) :up:

That's pretty much it--a lot of folks seem to think that it's Boinc or the projects...the main hold up is ATI though....but they're getting it together. It's just going to take some time. :up:

loonym
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
This is all going a bit off topic for wcg section but here goes. I believe I was running 182.08 (xp64) with 2 gtx 280s when I attached and I got a message to the effect cuda wasn't supported so I found and installed the appropriate cuda driver but then I couldn't enable sli. Tried bouncing around a couple different drivers but then I got into the issue of no rivatuner or evga gvt support and it just turned into way too much hassle.

Naja002
07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
This is all going a bit off topic for wcg section but here goes. I believe I was running 182.08 (xp64) with 2 gtx 280s when I attached and I got a message to the effect cuda wasn't supported so I found and installed the appropriate cuda driver but then I couldn't enable sli. Tried bouncing around a couple different drivers but then I got into the issue of no rivatuner or evga gvt support and it just turned into way too much hassle.

Ok, I can definitely understand the too much hassle part. :up: I was curious how far back the driver version(s) were. I wouldn't think 182.xx would give that much headache, but ya never know. The lack of rivatuner support sounds around 185.85--did that to a lot of people...myself included.

shadowwind
07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
im thinking its like folding@home sli is a no go no biggie just disable sli and run 2 cards actually the ppd will be better than sli i would think 2 cards running as one vs 2 card independently i would think the ppd would be better. my 2 cents
worth,:)

[XC] riptide
07-06-2009, 05:41 PM
GPUGRID got their own sub section... moved.

shadowwind
07-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Strange. But like I said--I've never done sli, so I'm not up to speed. Maybe corrections have been made with the drivers, Boinc or GpuGrid. They've all been hard at work....:up:

Would you happen to recall what drivers....at least generally: 177.xx, 182.xx, etc

i tried tri sli out i couldn't get it to go so i pulled one card out then tried sli its a no go all so. but im still a noob to the gpu grid maybe some others got it working that is more savvy with the gpugrid,

Naja002
07-06-2009, 06:09 PM
i tried tri sli out i couldn't get it to go so i pulled one card out then tried sli its a no go all so. but im still a noob to the gpu grid maybe some others got it working that is more savvy with the gpugrid,

I'm not aware of any project that does sli.....:up:

loonym
07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
It wasn't so much the fact that gpu grid doesn't use sli as much as that I could not enable sli at all with the cuda driver.

MikeB12
07-07-2009, 02:17 AM
^ you dont have to use the cuda driver from the cuda site to crunch. Pande pushed that nonsense forever, it's not true. nvidia builds cuda into all their 18x.xx mainstream drivers.

just grab the latest driver like any other normal gaming user from the normal main stream site http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
that's what I do on 5 nvidia cards and all have fah time, and are on gpugrid currently.

dont listen to the hype that yopu have to get it from the cuda site.. the mainstream driver works fine.

DAK1640
07-07-2009, 02:54 AM
I added GPUGRID to one of my rigs but it won't start? I have 3 cores running WCG ATM. GPUGRID downloaded, all looks good, but just won't run, no errors. I suspended WCG and left GPUGRID unsuspended and still won't run??? I changes preferences to switch every 2 minutes and it runs, but only for 2 minutes. Please help:confused:

IFMU
07-07-2009, 03:05 AM
How do you know if its running? I just set mine to do so and am honestly not sure?!

DAK1640
07-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Under projects it indicates 50% resource share?
Won't BOINC let me run 2 projects at once?

Never mind, for to select "Run GPU while computer in use"

MikeB12
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM
Under projects it indicates 50% resource share?
Won't BOINC let me run 2 projects at once?

shadow asked this same question the thread under this one. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=228814

ignore that tab... look at tasks tab..

for example, this is a Q6600 and 2 gts250's.. it says 50/50 on the projects tab, but I still get: a wcg wu for each cpu core, and gpu wu for each gpu core.
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/3664/30658388.jpg

PoppaGeek
07-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Under Advanced > Preferences > Processor Usage make sure Use GPU while computer in use. If the check box is not there upgrade to a newer version. I am using 6.6.36.

If it errors out before completion try the 182.50 drivers they have a rep for being the best right now.

http://img.techpowerup.org/090707/GPUGrid.jpg