PDA

View Full Version : Feel like buying a blu-r player. Why not buy a ps3?

flegg
07-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I could use some opinions on this if you don't mind sharing.

What I see:

Has storage space

Can play home movies from the local network or a pen drive

Has the latest ? 1.3? blue-ray capabilities

Very good at up-converting etc.

Can play the few console games I care about: FF and.... hmm duno

Apparently we can't use it to record TV in the US yet, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.

zanzabar
07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
the ps3 supports all current blue ray, and it has more hardware than blue ray needs so if something new comes out that it dosnt support sony will emulate it with a firmware update.

but the ps3 wont play netfix like the samsung and others will do, but it has full flash support and can use hulu, youtube and others.

flegg
07-04-2009, 04:21 PM
full flash support is nice

just bought one yesterday - found a good deal on craigslist

Oberon
07-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Do you have any qualms about just getting a Blu-Ray drive for your PC? It would be cheaper, for sure.

M31
07-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I could use some opinions on this if you don't mind sharing.

What I see:

Has storage space

Can play home movies from the local network or a pen drive

Has the latest ? 1.3? blue-ray capabilities

Very good at up-converting etc.

Can play the few console games I care about: FF and.... hmm duno

Apparently we can't use it to record TV in the US yet, otherwise it'd be a no brainer.

Its a brilliant Blu Ray player, loads films quicker than a stock Blu Ray player including my Sony Blu ray Player S350 I bought for my bedroom TV last week.

Although the game pad is remarkably intuitive as a remote for watching films ... I invested in one of the dedicated PS3 remotes, as all I use my PS3 for is watching films now.

:up:

Envydia007
07-04-2009, 07:13 PM
can some1 explain what a full flash support means?

zanzabar
07-04-2009, 07:31 PM
there is basic flash support were u can see flash images and banners/drop downs (comon on portable devices and the psp/wii). then there is full support and thats the ability to run flash apps like vifeo players or games on new grounds ext.

p0opstlnksal0t
07-04-2009, 08:15 PM
id say ps3 is a helluva bd player for the money!

Chevelle
07-11-2009, 03:43 PM
id say ps3 is a helluva bd player for the money!

I agree. I bought for a BluRay player and gaming console. 2 for the price of 1.

Stewartwi
07-11-2009, 03:53 PM
You can use Play On Media Server program from http://www.themediamall.com/playon to play your Netflix through as well as Hulu, Amazon VOD library and Youtube videos of course it's $40.00 bucks to buy the full version but it has a two week trail. Best money I ever spent for the PS3.

flegg
07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Yea a drive wouldve been cheapest but I like the convenience. And it turns out the ps3 actually has some decent games. I had written it off for awhile.

I might try that software ~ I think I'm going to buy a 160 scorpio for it first though since mine is only a 40gb

Chris_redfield
07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
I use my PS3 for most of my multimedia needs, its the best Blu-ray player in its price range. And I also use it to store music and video on for my PSP that I can upload for when I go out and about.

zanzabar
07-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Yea a drive wouldve been cheapest but I like the convenience. And it turns out the ps3 actually has some decent games. I had written it off for awhile.

I might try that software ~ I think I'm going to buy a 160 scorpio for it first though since mine is only a 40gb

dont buy a 7200 rpm drive they will cause problems the ps3 is designed for a low watt 5400rpm. and fujitsu and samsung make the best 2.5"

3Z3VH
07-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Or one of the cheap JMicron SSDs, since the PS3 doesn't do random writes. :D

GTSRboy
07-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Yea the PS3 is a great bluray player, id recommend it

Cpl Ledanek
07-17-2009, 07:41 PM
highly recommend the PS3 than any BR out there, ATM.

I'm thinking of upgrading the HD to 250GB also and learn to dual boot on Linux.
Been looking for an excuse to learn Linux features...maybe that would solve the Netflix problem, no?
Probably would make surfing internet better faster on larger flat tv IF Linux is installed...going to Google if FF3.5 is available for Linux....yup, its available. (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html):up:

I use ORB (http://www.orb.com/) to stream my ripped copies of my DVD...so I don't have to bring my DVD from the basement to the viewing room.

OH SNAP!!! (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/07/mgs4-killzone-2-ps3-bundle-available-now/):eek: seems to be a win here
I don't play PS3 much, just the Duck game that came with it, and mostly free demos from PS3 store.

flegg
07-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Duck game?

I'll take your advice on the FUJITSU and go with:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=MHZ2160BH-G2&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=15117332312395233437&sa=button#scoring=tp

Sn@ke:~
07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
there is basic flash support were u can see flash images and banners/drop downs (comon on portable devices and the psp/wii). then there is full support and thats the ability to run flash apps like vifeo players or games on new grounds ext.

Huum, How so I just bought myself a brand new PS3 and after updating it I was not able to play flash game on the internet and that was one of the first thing I tried.

Is there something I missed doing?

EDIT never mind it does work and very well. I don't why it does now and now then when I tried it.

zanzabar
07-19-2009, 01:26 PM
u had to update to 2.6 FW i think (its one of last years)