PDA

View Full Version : Need advices for First Xtreme overclockin' Xperience.

Lionsgraphics
08-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Sorry for lame name of the subject.

Anyway let me begin from bad news, i bought my stuff when i was rookie (in overclocking)... and it was just month ago.

i bought Soltek sl75-drv5 on kt333
Kingston 2700 512 mb on winbond chips.
AMD 1900+ agoga
GF4 ti 4400 leadtek.
Antec PSU 430 trupower.
( no it's not DELL ;-) )
that's the main components i'm gonna overclock...
But the problem is that Soltek's MB max voltage is 1.85 V core ( which will let me OC to 150 mhz fsb ) 2.7V for memory and 1.7 V for video card.
Kingston just works unstable with aggressive timings when it's over 170 mhz fsb ( in soltek they have +33mhz feature for memory ) so i'm buying heatsink for it.

Don't even know what else to add...

i bought already ax-7, Tt memory heatsink, round cables, they'll be in front of my door this monday.
what else i might need, what else i better tweak or do to push this Lame Mobo at least to 166mhzfsb/33mhz pci. setting ?
Never seen anyone that did any voltmods to soltek...
hope i won't be the first.

Thanks for any suggestions.
not sure there gonna be many.

Silversink
08-08-2002, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a nice little setup. Excellent choice on the heatsink

I wish I was more familiar with Solteks, but let us know how it all works out.

PS What kind of case is this going into?

Since you already have a nice PSU this is great case for the price....Plus its got great airflow.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=11-125-131&DEPA=1

http://65.119.30.151/productimage/11-125-131-10.JPG

IFMU
08-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Well first thing,
Welcome to the sickness!~! :D
Next, I dont see your board listed here, but these guys here if not DDTUNG here might be able to help you out.
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=5 <~~ That thread there
Next, Ill agree with SS there, those are some nice cases if your lookin for any.
Why is it you think the voltages is whats holding you back? Just curious.

Again, welcome aboard.

IFMU

Lionsgraphics
08-09-2002, 06:44 AM
Wait wait, i got myself NICE case 1080B ;-) from Antec.
Yeh it is Sickness i oc'd my soltek to 141 fsb at 1.775 V core 2.5 V memory.
This MB ain't that popular in USA afaik, it's more popular in europe-russia...
It's Very stable as long as it's at stock FSB or not far from it.
I still think i can push more...
Right now i have Tt V7 but i'll throw it somewhere soon, cause on idle it can compare with any good heatsink, at stress it just can't hold temp, so it goes from 39 degrees C to 52. That's why Ax-7.
Kingston not really memory for OC'ers but the fact they made on winbond chips somehow promises it work at relaxed timings at 166-175 mhz FSB.

why Voltage ?
i remember review of some abit board, the guys were like "well athlon xp barely worked at 166 mhz with maximum voltage of 1.85 on this board, we could start winxp but couldn't run any benchmark, it just restarted. Then we put CPU in Epox mobo 1.9 V it worked perfect".

Thanks for help guys.