PDA

View Full Version : My Dual Intel Xeon X5450 Harpertown 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771

GameFrame
06-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi. I`have recently purchased and build this server. The rack case shown in that picture is not going to be the "final" version because of poor cooling.

I`have fixed now FBDIMMs temperature issue with OCZīs Memory Cooling Kit. There is picture about that in provided article.

My system is as follows:

Intel Server Board S5000PSLSASR
2X Intel Xeon X5450 Harpertown 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771
4x Kingston KVR667D2D4F5/2GI => 8GB DDR667 ECC FBDIMM

BIOS first page:

http://www.gameframe.net/files/misc/2x_Xeon_X5450.jpg

cpu-z:

http://gameframe.net/files/misc/X5450_cpuz.jpg

Current lame case. I am still waiting for Antec 3U25EPS650XR: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=ODM2

http://www.gameframe.net/files/misc/Intel_Server_Board_S5000PSLSASR_2x_Xeon_X5450.jpg

Nice rig anyway huh?

I have also performed various hardware tests with this machine against various other machines. Unlike in most of the articles, i have included also
Linux benchmarks.

For lazy people, here are benchmark charts:

http://gameframe.net/EN/images/S5000PSLSASR/x5450_benchmarks.png

Full article about dual X5450 setup with detailed features and good tests.

In english: http://www.gameframe.net/EN/?page=dual-xeon-x5450-server-test

In Finnish: http://www.gameframe.net/?page=tupla-xeon-x5450-palvelin-testi

emuexport
06-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Nice rig GameFrame. Just whack a 120mm fan on those DIMMs and they'll cool right down.

I'm sure one of the guys with a Harpertown will chime in shortly with their knowledge!

Great to have you here!:welcome:

Movieman
06-28-2009, 06:51 AM
dump those heatsinks, get Dynatron H46G's and a pair of vantec tornadoes and mod to fit.
Then get a BIG fan right on the memory, zalman made a bracket for this that was cheap.
Got to run but if you need more help I'll be glad to help you out.

jcool
06-28-2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah, put a 120mm on that ram and NB and you're good to go.
Also if your CPUs are E0 step, you can attempt to do a BSEL mod (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3838475&postcount=1535) on them to make it run FSB400/3,6Ghz :hrhr:

Note that your mobo and Ram needs to support that, ie you need a board with 5400 chipset (which you have) and 800Mhz FBDimms.

GameFrame
06-28-2009, 06:57 AM
That case is not very comfortable for extra "modding". I will have a much better case soon.

For memory cooling, i should receive tomorrow 2x of http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_xtc_cooler these. Should do the job as well.

Those Dynatron H46G`s will fit? CPUīs are E0 revision, i forgot to post cpuz screenshot which will be attached soon. That BSEL mod looks cool but i think i`m way too inexperienced in modding MBīs. So this mod will just force FSB 333 to 400Mhz? In this server board bios, there is no options for any kind of OC.

However after reading carefully this MB manual through, i think this MB has way much better performance and features than ASUS but is not good for OC.

Thx so far for all good suggestions, this is why i posted this topic here :)

s0lid
06-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Welcome to the asylum! :welcome:

You're going to run game servers or just virtual servers with that :)?

For game server:
Mem bw: Not very neccesary.
BTW the 3rd mem sticks left sided lock isn't completely "up" =P

Jcool and Movieman have played a lot with dual lga771 settings and they have some wisdom about it, actually very much.

Plan.B
06-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Very nice setup. For temp issues - as suggested: ditch those cpu heatsinks for something better. lap cpus and mount heatsinks with a backplane and good thermal paste. I would remove the ram heatspreaders and put a fan on the dimms (heat up the sticks and slowly work off the heatspreaders with a credit card or something thinner). put a fan on the nb heatsink, or use one or two big fans for the dimms and the nb. leave the case open. don't know what your clock gen chip is, but find out and try this program for a bit of overclocking:
http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/download/ver22/setfsb_2_2_123_90.zip
Good luck and Welcome!

GameFrame
06-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Welcome to the asylum! :welcome:

You're going to run game servers or just virtual servers with that :)?

For game server:
Mem bw: Not very neccesary.
BTW the 3rd mem sticks left sided lock isn't completely "up" =P

Jcool and Movieman have played a lot with dual lga771 settings and they have some wisdom about it, actually very much.

My original plan was to test will this rig beat 2x regular Core 2 Quad hardware with about same clocks so yes. In case i wonīt be too happy about results. No worries, this server can do other jobs there, like hosting DB server etc. etc.

I have fixed this memory lock thing, it was not 100% right, it worked fine and all the RAM got detected fine.

About memory bandwidth, this is what Intel says in this server manual:

The read bandwidth of each FBDIMM channel is 5.35GB/s for DDR2-667 FBDIMM memory, which gives a total read bandwidth of 21.4GB/s for four DIMM channels

As in my picture, i have "branch0" filled which should have 2x memory controllers according to a intelīs manual. With Sandra memory BW tests, i was able to get 4.15GB/s as read speed which will falsify this intel claim. I have tried also attach those FBDIMMīs to four blue slots and results are exactly the same. Anyone has an idea about this behaviour?

PS. I have disabled all Speedstep and halt state features from BIOS, still as you can see from cpu-z shot, itīs doing it :( I have updated to latest available BIOS as well. Immediately when there is even a bit load, it will start using full multipliers though but i still don`t like this behaviour when i disable something, it should stay disabled. There is no option to set a fixed multiplier in this BIOS.

If i can get this running at 9x400, this will be serious monster but i need to wait for those guruīs to come back and review my issue. I think it will help if i post that setfsb tool results? I feel here a bit newbie :)

Here is screen from setfsb:

http://www.gameframe.net/files/misc/setfsb.jpg

I am quite new to this tool, iīm able to scroll those buttons for more FSB, so i should just go and try it?

s0lid
06-28-2009, 08:14 AM
PS. I have disabled all Speedstep and halt state features from BIOS, still as you can see from cpu-z shot, itīs doing it :( I have updated to latest available BIOS as well. Immediately when there is even a bit load, it will start using full multipliers though but i still don`t like this behaviour when i disable something, it should stay disabled. There is no option to set a fixed multiplier in this BIOS.

If i can get this running at 9x400, this will be serious monster but i need to wait for those guruīs to come back and review my issue. I think it will help if i post that setfsb tool results? I feel here a bit newbie :)

Intel is broud about their power saving settings that they don't let you put em off for some odd reason :rofl: Had this same problem with couple other boards too...

With setfsp, try different clock gens and test which can read the fsb right and etc :)
It should say something like: 333/400/100/33 IIRC

Jaco
06-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I have the same Intel coolers. They're pretty good actually. (quite heavy too)
They kept my Xeon E5450's E0 (@ 3.4Ghz) around 55°C , and very silent.

All you need is a 120mm fan to cool the FB-Dimms.

jcool, S5000PSLSASR is a 5000P board . No 5400 chipset
400FSB is not supported so forget about BSEL modding.

Plan.B
06-28-2009, 09:10 AM
for the setfsb tool: locate the clock-gen chip on the mobo. It should be the only chip that is about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch tall, should have about 40 or so legs. note the markings on the chip, there should be two or more sets of numbers and letters. one of those alpha-numeric strings will be the identity of the chip. select a matching chip identity in the fsb "clock generator" field, bump up the fsb, and click set fsb. this may or may not work. I can overclock my Dells with this tool but not my supermicro x7dcal

jcool
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
jcool, S5000PSLSASR is a 5000P board . No 5400 chipset
400FSB is not supported so forget about BSEL modding.

Crap, I read FBDimm and assumed 5400... right. Forget about the BSEL mod then, but check out your mobo PCB to find the PLL chip. If you are lucky it's supported in SetFSB and you can maybe get to 370-380Mhz FSB that way.

STEvil
06-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Spread your memory out so you are utilizing all 4 channels. Northbridge will limit you to 370mhz or less with stock cooling. I lapped mine and put a new heatsink on it and have been running 400mhz since ;)

Movieman
06-29-2009, 04:35 AM
Spread your memory out so you are utilizing all 4 channels. Northbridge will limit you to 370mhz or less with stock cooling. I lapped mine and put a new heatsink on it and have been running 400mhz since ;)

Yea, but you had 5000X chipset(Blackthorne)
he has the "wimpier" P version..:D

STEvil
06-29-2009, 09:33 PM
blackthorne has no integrated memory for snoop filter, might make it higher than 5000x lol... though not likely.

GameFrame
07-11-2009, 07:59 AM
I have now finished nearly one week testing article regarding this server but itīs in Finnish language :)

It will take atleast one day to translate it in english. Wondering is there any interests if i go for translation? You cannot find anywhere such an article regarding dual x5450 server.

Finnish version is available at: http://www.gameframe.net/?page=tupla-xeon-x5450-palvelin-testi

For those who cannot read Finnish at all, go to "Sivu 4" = Page 4 , you will still be able to see results from both Windows and Linux tests, those charts are in English and should give you a picture.

perkam
07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Do these have higher PPDs than Istanbuls?

Very nice rig there m8 :up:

Perkam

Movieman
07-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Do these have higher PPDs than Istanbuls?

Very nice rig there m8 :up:

Perkam

His harper might do app 30-32K a day in WCG..

STEvil
07-11-2009, 05:22 PM
You cannot find anywhere such an article regarding dual x5450 server.

On this forum: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183499

;)

Ok, not quite the exact same but still some info :D

[XC] serlv
07-11-2009, 05:36 PM
It will take at least one day to translate it in english. Wondering is there any interests if i go for translation?

I would definitely like to see that article, in English! So yeah if you could translate it that would be great.

I ran a pair of X5460's in my Z7S before it died and they ran STRONG. They are now running in a Supermicro board and they are, well, steady and strong ( but not capitalized... :shakes: ).

ViViD
07-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Finnish version is available at: http://www.gameframe.net/?page=tupla-xeon-x5450-palvelin-testi

:up: Nice Link M8 My Q9550 Is Good :D:rofl:

GameFrame
07-12-2009, 06:31 AM
I will go for translation and update first post when im done. Luckily itīs sunday and I am bored :) I am not able to write correct english but it should be still understable.

If anyone feels doing final correction, let me know.

[XC] serlv
07-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Great, thanks.

CyberDruid
07-12-2009, 08:15 AM
X5470's here and they just won't quit. 4.1ghz 24/7

Thanks for sharing.

GameFrame
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
CyberDruid: Could you provide more details about your setup? You obviously have skulltrail system or how you were able to reach that high GHzīs? Are you using that volt mod suggested in this thread?

emuexport: I tried some time ago and set up a 120mm fan just over the FBDIMMs. This was enough to confuse this server board cpu cooling and it did
reduced cpu fans to 2000rpm (then X5450 run at 65C while idle) .... There is no way to control cpu fan speeds at all, all this is automatic. If you read article, in that picture OCZ Memory Cooling Kit was a better solution since it did not messed up anything and did provided a reasonable cooling. That upcoming Antecīs 3U case provides excellent cooling for this server. You will see what i mean when you read first post again and look at pictures of
that Antec case. You will see that 3x92mm coolers are just to next X5450īs etc. :) Overally perfect design and cooling in this rack case.

There is now english version available from article. See end of the first post.

This article is actually good reading for anyone and please excuse my english which is not perfect :)

If here is any Linux guru who knows more about I/OAT, please read that article netperf test and give your clues or suggestions how results were worse with it.

Movieman
07-12-2009, 03:42 PM
CyberDruid: Could you provide more details about your setup? You obviously have skulltrail system or how you were able to reach that high GHzīs? Are you using that volt mod suggested in this thread?

emuexport: I tried some time ago and set up a 120mm fan just over the FBDIMMs. This was enough to confuse this server board cpu cooling and it did
reduced cpu fans to 2000rpm (then X5450 run at 65C while idle) .... There is no way to control cpu fan speeds at all, all this is automatic. If you read article, in that picture OCZ Memory Cooling Kit was a better solution since it did not messed up anything and did provided a reasonable cooling. That upcoming Antecīs 3U case provides excellent cooling for this server. You will see what i mean when you read first post again and look at pictures of
that Antec case. You will see that 3x92mm coolers are just to next X5450īs etc. :) Overally perfect design and cooling in this rack case.

There is now english version available from article. See end of the first post.

This article is actually good reading for anyone and please excuse my english which is not perfect :)

If here is any Linux guru who knows more about I/OAT, please read that article netperf test and give your clues or suggestions how results were worse with it.

Cyberdruid has a skulltrail board so he does the changes in bios not by BSEL mod..
as to you, take the fans off of the motherboard and plug into molex ansd let them run at 100% all the time or get a fan controller and plug into there and control yourself.
Problem settled.:D

[XC] serlv
07-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do the translation. Your English is pretty good!
A good read. I liked to see the data comparisons

GameFrame
07-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Cyberdruid has a skulltrail board so he does the changes in bios not by BSEL mod..
as to you, take the fans off of the motherboard and plug into molex ansd let them run at 100% all the time or get a fan controller and plug into there and control yourself.
Problem settled.:D

Maximum speed is 6000rpm for those stock coolers, noise is then similar to 80īs build lawn mover :D However this does not matter in a machine room. Good suggestion, i did not thought about this.

Movieman
07-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Maximum speed is 6000rpm for those stock coolers, noise is then similar to 80īs build lawn mover :D However this does not matter in a machine room. Good suggestion, i did not thought about this.

I have a pair of 80x38mm vantec tornadoes(87cfm) modded to a pair of Dynatron H46G's for over a year now.
There are X5470 harpers at 3600mhz under them at 100% load day in and day out at 49C in a 74-78F room..
loud, yes, effective, yes..:up:

GameFrame
07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I have a pair of 80x38mm vantec tornadoes(87cfm) modded to a pair of Dynatron H46G's for over a year now.
There are X5470 harpers at 3600mhz under them at 100% load day in and day out at 49C in a 74-78F room..

Your cooling is awesome then. 9x400 is a significant boost in performance compared to stock 9x333 in dual cpu setup.

Biggest problem for Finnish people is to get this kind of special server hardware. I cannot find any shop here which even sells those Dynatronīs. It took several days and nothing for that Antecīs rack neither until one friend of mine managed order it from foreign country and i still need to wait 2-3 weeks for it :(

For you US people itīs way much easier, you can get really fast nearly any hardware.

PS. I would be very interested in testing latest Nehalem based XEONīs but this hardware is way over my budget until i recover from this latest purchase.

Movieman
07-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Your cooling is awesome then. 9x400 is a significant boost in performance compared to stock 9x333 in dual cpu setup.

Biggest problem for Finnish people is to get this kind of special server hardware. I cannot find any shop here which even sells those Dynatronīs. It took several days and nothing for that Antecīs rack neither until one friend of mine managed order it from foreign country and i still need to wait 2-3 weeks for it :(

For you US people itīs way much easier, you can get really fast nearly any hardware.

PS. I would be very interested in testing latest Nehalem based XEONīs but this hardware is way over my budget until i recover from this latest purchase.

I run them at 10x360 because I'm too lazy to pull them and do the BSEL mod..:rofl:
I ran them up to 3965mhz on stock volts using setfsb before it bluescreened.
they will run at 3758 all day but for this kind of long term work I keep them at 3600..

perkam
07-12-2009, 04:59 PM

PS. I would be very interested in testing latest Nehalem based XEONīs but this hardware is way over my budget until i recover from this latest purchase.It's not about location, it's about commitment m8. I'm pretty sure you're among a few people running harpertowns in all of Finland.

You should be proud of that :up:

Though I'm pretty sure you would have been better off with a Bloomfield rig (ty jcool :p) OCed to 4Ghz pulling similar PPD numbers.

Perkam

jcool
07-13-2009, 04:00 AM
My pleasure :p: :ROTF:

Duh
07-19-2009, 12:05 AM
your setup looks sweet dude..very promising, congratz!

Duh
07-19-2009, 12:08 AM

my dad used to live 2 rooms apart from mine and came in the middle of the night to ask me to turn them off ( no s...).. they are powerful bastagges :cool: