PDA

View Full Version : Where is the Motherboard Temp Thermister located on the BD7-II?

MudWhistle
08-08-2002, 06:37 PM
Hi all, Im just sitting here putting together a 1.8a pIV and a BD7II. I have it finished but im doing some stress testing with the case lid off.

First off some weird boot problems (cold boot issues) that I think I have narrowed down to bad ram. I've replaced the Ram and Powersupply but im still getting a few cold boots here and there. I just upgraded to the latest offical bios.

Anyways, my cpu temp at 2400mhz with 1.55 actual volts applied under P95 torture is hitting 58-60 celcius (with case lid off and decent ambient room temp of around 72 F). Seems a little high for a lapped intel and ASII.

Okay here comes the weird thing, the motherboard temp as indicated by HWdoctor is going higher then the CPU TEMP!

WTH is this?, as soon as it hits 60 celcius HWdoctor freaks out cause that's the safety limit of the program (which you cant change).

Does anyone know where the Thermistor is on the BD7II for the motherboard temp? Does this board even use a thermistor or is there one integrated into the ICH northbridge perhaps?

If anyone could answer this, this would be great, I think I may just have a bumb board.

Oh, and btw, case lid off etc, good ambient room temp (im in canada, no too warm here atm). I have removed the ICH4 northbridge heatsink to inspect the chip to see if it was making good contact, it was indeed, even though it just looks like fragtape or a white thermal pad. I could lap this northbridge with some 1500 grit sandpapper and put some ASII like I did with my IT7.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

MuFf|n M@N
08-10-2002, 07:18 PM
the thermistor should be around the 4th or 5th pci slot for the motherboard temp