PDA

View Full Version : Asus 4870X2 RMA - it's beyond a joke!!!

RCG_Bex
06-25-2009, 07:01 AM
I have no idea where to post this, but here seems a good start...

!!! - QUOTES ARE CUT DIRECTLY FROM MY EMAILS - !!!
I can appreciate the frustrations with how long this is taking but I have actually arranged a meeting with my friend in the marketing team to find out if we have a marketing sample of the 4870X2 that we can hopefully send you this week as our head office is letting you and me down continually (They want to push the replacement back another! Week) and I think we are in a good position to ask/demand this. Ill e-mail you after I have spoken to him (meeting is at around 12:30) and let you know if I can do this to close your case sooner I can not apologize enough for how long this is taking and I think you for your patience (and for not trying to rip my head off) Asus RMA emails from today.... After telling me they'll get me a "marketing sample" - a USED card.
I have good news (although it is not that great since it has taken so long, again I am very sorry for that) I have you card next to me. Can you confirm the address you want me to send it to and ill get it out today Hurray! I'm about to reply when....
Really bad news I am afraid I have just opened the box to make sure everything is ok and I have found an 8800GTX! I am going to ask the UK manager to buy you a replacement 4870X2 ASAP to close this as another 3 weeks is just far, far to much. ...........Ok, they've obviously given up on me. They can't be bothered getting a replacement like any other company. I've been run around so long now (so has my contact who's worked really hard to get matters sorted) and decide they'll just go out and buy me a new card out their own pocket! HAH!
Ill ask the manager when he comes in if we can get an Nvidia equivalent instead. He has however given the go ahead for a buyback of a new 4870X2 for you. Yea I am going to address this with me managers as its not the first time the repair centre has sent the wrong item back to you. Wait what? Buy a new 4870X2? GTFO! I paid £400 for that card and have barely had it in my possesion for no more than 1month at a time! I'm not giving away £200 for them to get a quick way out! If you're trying to avoid court at least buy me a decent new card equivalent to the money I've spent! How many cards have I RMA'd with the same or similar problem? Too many! Everytime I wait a minimum of 2-3 Months! No one knows what's happening! No one knows when or where the card is, or when a replacement is coming! WTF!?

~Bex

Dragy2k
06-25-2009, 07:18 AM
dam thats unlucky ....coulda been worse thou you coulda bought a BFG card.....let us know how u get on.....if no joy get his address and malky him !

RCG_Bex
06-25-2009, 07:27 AM
dam thats unlucky ....coulda been worse thou you coulda bought a BFG card.....let us know how u get on.....if no joy get his address and malky him !

At least BFG only muddle up my address with someone else, apologise and get the cards out to me within 2 days, arrive smashed by Fedex (more like ran over by a van) and BFG apologise again and send further replacements by the end of the week! (7600GT's upgraded to 512MB 8800GTS's). On every other ocasion I've had a new card within 2 weeks of sending mine away.

~Bex

nascasho
06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Day-um!

Thats really unlucky.

RCG_Bex
06-25-2009, 03:15 PM
That card was sent away 3 months ago.....

~Bex

MomijiTMO
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Time to :banana::banana::banana::banana: bricks.

ToTTenTranz
06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
By "buyback of a new HD4870X2 to you", I think he means either they'll return the money or give a new graphics card to you.

About the waiting, you should try to reach some higher-ups in Asus UK. Send e-mails to the management. Send a copy of all those e-mails to them.
That guy is being extremely un-professional, whining about his colleagues.

BTW, an 8800GTX in June 2009? WTF?!

Rattle
06-25-2009, 04:37 PM
you guys got some suck support on the other side of the pond, thats unaccecptable...

MomijiTMO
06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
By "buyback of a new HD4870X2 to you", I think he means either they'll return the money or give a new graphics card to you.

Correct. How did I miss that?

STEvil
06-25-2009, 05:37 PM
you guys got some suck support on the other side of the pond, thats unaccecptable...

Another bad Asus story....:mad:

MomijiTMO
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't you wish they would buyback your Z7S?

dreamaxx
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Well I think THAT guy is doing all he can, so you can't fault him in any way. Obviously he's being screwed over by superiors which often happens in big corporations. :(

Good luck getting your new card!

perkam
06-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Ask them to send an Asus TOP 4890 instead, or maybe two 4870s.

They can't expect you to run your PC without a GFX can they?

Perkam

The Asgard
06-25-2009, 11:54 PM

BFG have great customer service here in the UK. I have used them myself. Nothing but praise from all the people I know.

naokaji
06-27-2009, 01:52 AM

Yes, but Asus is a bit special in regards to support to say it nice, they screw everyone, no matter where.

RMA through the shop it was purchased from, the distributors get much better service than end customers which companies don't give a f*** about.

Movieman
06-27-2009, 02:59 AM
You guys need to start making the point to Asus that this is unacceptable and also illegal.
They state a warranty and that is part of the purchase you made. If they are not honoring that warranty then they are guilty of fraud here in the US and I imagine also in the UK.
If this was me in your situation I would call them and quietly state three options to them:
1) Refund my money inside 72 hours
2) replace the card with new inside 72 hours
3) Hour #73 I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General in the state( California) they are based out of for fraud based on not covering warranty claims.
THis is law and and they can't ignore it.
This BS by them in unreasonable RMA claims and outright refusal to replace defective parts has to be stopped.
Time for you people to get mad and fight back.

Godofwar424
06-27-2009, 05:34 AM
You guys need to start making the point to Asus that this is unacceptable and also illegal.
They state a warranty and that is part of the purchase you made. If they are not honoring that warranty then they are guilty of fraud here in the US and I imagine also in the UK.
If this was me in your situation I would call them and quietly state three options to them:
1) Refund my money inside 72 hours
2) replace the card with new inside 72 hours
3) Hour #73 I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General in the state( California) they are based out of for fraud based on not covering warranty claims.
THis is law and and they can't ignore it.
This BS by them in unreasonable RMA claims and outright refusal to replace defective parts has to be stopped.
Time for you people to get mad and fight back.

I agree. I can be an incredibly perfect customer for RMA if its done RIGHT!.

If a company tries to screw me I become that most Awkward f**k and literally force them to give me a new product for the hassle. Threatening with legal action usually scares the CRAP outta them.

Follow Movieman's instructions!!!

Glow9
06-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Good thing your not using a Asus mobo, just think if that would have started on fire and you would have had to deal with that and this.

Mean Machine
06-27-2009, 12:20 PM
The ASUS mobos and graphics cards are all sent to the same Czech repair center for RMA repairs within Europe. I've dealt with ASUS RMA's a few times, or at least twice, I've had no real problems. Maybe it's because I know half the Nordic office, including the customer service manager. :D

STEvil
06-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Should ask them what the return rate on the Z7S-WS is, Mean Machine.

Dragy2k
06-29-2009, 02:08 AM
any update on this rma ?

Kensek
06-29-2009, 02:15 AM
I just RMA'd my Asus HD4870X2 on May 23rd and the replacement was Fedex'd back to me on June 18th and it arrived on June 25th.

wez3570
06-29-2009, 02:24 AM
This story makes me a little worried!

I sent my Maximus Formula back because the LCD poster stopped working!

( I know that sounds silly but I wanted it fully working before I sell it)

That was 5-6 weeks ago! Now they're ignoring my emails....grrrrreat!

I will avoid ASUS in the future.

Just hope my current mobo doesn't go down:eek:

Good luck with the 4870X2, let us know how it turns out.

BTW. Has it put you off buying ASUS in the future?

Surely ASUS must know how dissatisfied many users here are?

N19h7m4r3
06-29-2009, 02:49 AM
It's all totally unacceptable!

I said follow Movieman's advice. It's the right thing to do.

The last time I dealt with a company for more than a month I got a newly released motherboard.

Don't back off and increase the heat, if it comes to it get a lawyer to right them a letter, if still nothing report them.

What they're doing is against the law at the moment and if you don't go up higher they'll try and walk over you and the next person.

wez3570
07-06-2009, 02:49 AM
This story makes me a little worried!

I sent my Maximus Formula back because the LCD poster stopped working!

( I know that sounds silly but I wanted it fully working before I sell it)

That was 5-6 weeks ago! Now they're ignoring my emails....grrrrreat!

I will avoid ASUS in the future.

Just hope my current mobo doesn't go down:eek:

Good luck with the 4870X2, let us know how it turns out.

BTW. Has it put you off buying ASUS in the future?

Surely ASUS must know how dissatisfied many users here are?

Got my motherboard back this morning after they sent it to the wrong address.

They've voided my warranty:mad:

Something has been dropped onto one of the chips and all the legs down one side are skewed/bent!

I physically inspected the board before I sent it, there's no way I missed it as the damage is really obvious!

They haven't returned my LCD poster and there was a random chunk of black plastic that looks like some kind of fuse holder rattling around on the motherboard too!

I'm really annoyed, just sent them an email so will wait to see what they say.

BTW retailer is Microdirect (UK). Their service up to now is appalling.

Hows it going with your 4870x2?

Easybeat
07-06-2009, 03:38 AM
Bex, where did you buy the card from? they should be the ones dealing with it not Asus.

Just so everyone knows the Sale of Goods act in the UK is excellent, at all times it says that defective goods are the responsibility of the retailer and not the manufacturer.

http://http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Without fail every major retailer will try and fob you off when the fact is the consumer in the UK has excellent rights.

joger
07-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I got me two ASSus 4870's with them Gladiator coolers back in 10.10.2008.

Two days after I got the cards, one broke its fan (just wouldn't spin anymore, wires were intact, and the other card's fan worked in the faulty card.)

Sent them both to the shop, and we agreed on me buying new coolers, they'd install them, and I could keep my 2-year warranty intact.

Up till today I've maybe had a month of trouble-free time with them. The coolers couldn't hold the temps (100c+ on both cards in stalker, single and crossfire, with fans on max and case open), and I ran them to the shop and back half a dozen times, always getting them back with "there's nothing wrong with them" or "they work now". A few weeks back I got one of the cards holding temps @ ~60c in furmark with the fans on the cooler on lowest, so I sold it. The other card however broke, again, same as before, no computer will turn on with just the broken card in it.

I sent the broken card to the shop again, told them my computers didn't turn on with it after I came back from a week-long work-trip, and after a couple of weeks they call me and tell me the CORE IS CRACKED. :mad: They also told me that its due to ME fiddling with the cooler and RMA is very unlikely to pull through (the shop would send it to the company who imported the card into my country, and they'd send the shop a new one if it pulled through.) and I might not even get the broken card back anymore.

Also, as it has been numerous times before, their "maintenance guy" is on vacation and I should expect a call after a week or so from now. We'll see how this goes, but it doesn't look good by the way things have gone up until now. :shakes:

My Rampage II Gene, P5KC and P5E Deluxe are still working perfect, tho :D

STEvil
07-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Why did they remove the cooler to inspect the core? That probably voids their ability to RMA the card back to the wholesaler.

Its clear they are jerking you around.

joger
07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Why did they remove the cooler to inspect the core? That probably voids their ability to RMA the card back to the wholesaler.

Its clear they are jerking you around.

The cards have had the 3rd party coolers on them since Day Two of purchase :rolleyes: They inspected the card before RMA'ing it to the wholesaler to see if it was a viable option. The way I see it, is that I bought the card from THEM (they attached and reattached the coolers way more times than I did, and I've done this stuff for years, even used spring-screws instead of their stationary ones for safety and better overall grip, as the cores were struggling for proper contact with the cooler after shop assembly :ROTF:)

dinos22
07-09-2009, 10:04 PM
oh dear

Asus has more of these threads than any other company

this is poor

i told Derek when i met him that this was one of the reason that the brand was losing some of the shine. Some of these experiences are just terrible for such a well known company :(

LiberalElephant
07-11-2009, 10:05 AM
oh dear

Asus has more of these threads than any other company

this is poor

i told Derek when i met him that this was one of the reason that the brand was losing some of the shine. Some of these experiences are just terrible for such a well known company :(

I think ASUS has some of the best engineering out there, but without good customer service, EVGA (or possibly Gigabyte) will be getting my money from now on. I wish these companies, especially foreign ones, understood how important customer service is. We as consumers need to start voting with our dollars and force these companies to give good customer service.

Grnfinger
07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Asus should take notes from Logitech they have the best warranty/customer service in the business imo
I have had many dealings with Asus RMA I live in Canada and have to deal with the Asus California facility it makes it hard and costly, Advanced/Crosship RMA is a joke, once you become irate they start to listen but you have to get beyond the level 1 tech inbreeders guys like Mason Winner will bend over backwards to help you and they are authorized to ship out upgrades if they cant get stock in the 10 day turnover, you have to complain about the 10 day turnover and not take no for an answer once this is brought up they will upgrade your product very quickly.

Humminn55
07-13-2009, 03:39 AM
As for Asus video cards, I'll never buy another after suffering through two that failed and having to RMA them.

First was a 3870 TOP that began artifacting. Sent it in, got its replacement 10 days later....was same exact card in a new box with the same exact problem. Called, complained strongly, sent it in again, got a "replacement" back, and again, same card, same problem, new box. Third time, got bumped up to Tier 3 service. Actually got a brand new card as replacement, but total time screwing with it was over a month, not to mention shipping costs to Asus twice.

Second was a 4850 that began flashing its VRM overheat LED. Same damned scenario played out......only worse this time. Two RMA's got the same damned failing card back, just reboxed. Third RMA for same card resulted in it getting "lost" at Asus for over a month and only complaining on an almost daily basis finally got a new 4850 sent back on the third RMA.

The Tier 3 tech confided that the first RMA is usually just a physical inspect and repack and return......to weed out the idiot RMA's. Not exactly the best business model for customer service.

Ghigo
07-13-2009, 03:50 AM
If want ATI buy sapphire in europe, asus always got insane slow rma and they always try give back used/refurbished parts :down:

Griff805
07-15-2009, 12:53 PM
As for Asus video cards, I'll never buy another after suffering through two that failed and having to RMA them.

First was a 3870 TOP that began artifacting. Sent it in, got its replacement 10 days later....was same exact card in a new box with the same exact problem. Called, complained strongly, sent it in again, got a "replacement" back, and again, same card, same problem, new box. Third time, got bumped up to Tier 3 service. Actually got a brand new card as replacement, but total time screwing with it was over a month, not to mention shipping costs to Asus twice.

Second was a 4850 that began flashing its VRM overheat LED. Same damned scenario played out......only worse this time. Two RMA's got the same damned failing card back, just reboxed. Third RMA for same card resulted in it getting "lost" at Asus for over a month and only complaining on an almost daily basis finally got a new 4850 sent back on the third RMA.

The Tier 3 tech confided that the first RMA is usually just a physical inspect and repack and return......to weed out the idiot RMA's. Not exactly the best business model for customer service.

Looks like they are doing the same with my 4870X2. I've sent it in once already, but the one they sent back had the same problem as well as a broken fan. Now, they've had the second RMA since the 29th of last month and are still waiting to send a new(used/broken) one out.

I won't be buying ASUS after this is all over-

jpennstar
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM
ASUS is a joke. I purchased their M2N SLI motherboard with the hopes of overclocking and it could never hold an overclock. Now a coworker of mine is having issues with the Striker board booting up. Their website is also lame.....

XFX and EVGA are the ONLY companies I'll go with now.

Chickenfeed
07-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Hearing about this kind of thing really miffs me. I've had / am having a similar experience with HIS in regards to my 4870x2. But get this, I've been waiting 4+ months with no results whatsoever. And get THIS... they claim their warranty starts from the day the product was produced NOT when it was purchased. So by that logic, my warranty is now officially over (the initial 4870x2s started production a year ago last week ) and they HAVEN'T even asked me to ship my defected product or done anything to compromise on their behalf. They don't appear to have made any (honest) effort in helping me (There have been over 10 phone calls and countless emails, all by my action not theirs, and many many idle promises ) I've been told 3 times they are waiting to hear from head office in hong kong... Are you telling me that everytime there is a RMA request in another country that they have to climb this ladder to nowhere? I have a hard time believing that.

I thought it to be prudent to mention my experience with poor service ( even if its a different vendor ) I'm beyond the simple idea of boycotting companies like this. Movieman's mention of legal action a very solid point. I'm not sure how nasty things get when your dealing with a company based in another country but this kind of treatment is completely unacceptable. Their so called "warranty" is 100% fraud as far as I'm concerned and they will not hear the end of this.

I'm officially putting ASUS on my don't not buy / support list after hearing your story.

I haven't heard alot regarding XFXs service in Canada / US but at this rate they seem to be the only viable option for future AMD products ( I've heard nothing good about any of ATIs board partners in regards to service ; I would like to get one of the upcoming ATI cards but if no one is going to support the things then I may just have to sink the AMD ship all together )

RCG_Bex
07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Well after some time, I finally get a replacement 4870X2 ...........the TRIPPLE FAN EDITION! FECK OFF!!! They sent me the cheapest model (I had Asus 4870X2 TOP) to replace my card and then tell me it's the EXACT same card but a different cooler. SAME PCB and SAME settings. WTF!?

I have just spoken to a friend of mine in Marketing who does MB and VGA and asked about this and this is what he has said to me

“The card design of the tri-fan and the reference card design are exactly the same. The only difference between the 2 units are the fans used. The tri-fan version was designed as a replacement to the original reference card and is now the commonplace card on the market. The reason for a price difference is that the card is considerably older now than it was at release.

The tri-fan version produces considerably lower temperatures and if you’re customer is planning to watercool the card anyway, it should be no problem to remove the fan and add the water blocks”

I do not know how much that means to you as I am still a stranger to Watercooling (I know I fail technology) but I have been assured that it is the same card just a different fan.

I replied simply with,

Well your mate is a retard. I'm sorry, but take that fan unit off and the PCB is totally different. There's extra row of caps at the end of the card (I'm not taking this card apart yet, but from my last 1 which I recieved a few months ago when they originally came out I found this information).

Even an idiot can see the difference. I'm sure you can spot the difference straight away (not that you're an idiot).

Reference PCB - http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv163/ChristianGlo/untitled.jpg
Tri-fan PCB - http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/390/fetsvs2.jpg.

Told them their service is crap, and their staff knowledge is crap. I now have them speaking with their managers telling them to send me an Nvidia equivalent seeing as how all their 4870X2's have disapeared off the mainstream e-tailers recently (I wonder why, oh is it maybe because the exact same thing happend with their 3870X2 and they got taken off the market due to the large number of RMA's all with the same problems?) and I've had 5 RMA's all with the exact problem either DOA or within ~1 month of running the card.

Is it the watercooling fitting or something else you ask? No. Why not? Because the cards I recieved from Force 3D are still alive to this day, even OC'd to nearly max out CCC and haven't had a moments bother since Febuary.

Howard is good guy who;s done his absolute best to help me out and deserves a medal for the crap he puts up with, but his managers and colleagues are retarded.

~Bex

PS. These are cards being sent direct from Asus now as the retailer who I bought these from is an Asus RMA centre that just makes it even worse and a slower process and have told me they have no longer got any interest in dealing with my situationa nd sent me to Asus direct.

purecain
07-20-2009, 05:12 PM
@Bex.... there cant be anything worse than faulty hardware... but then having to go through a faulty rma service makes the situation even worse...

Etihtsarom
07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
I think the thing with Asus is that they're outgrown their capacity to provide the best technology/product+service. There is USUALLY a direct correllation between the size / complexity of a company and their service quality, it's not that surprising. Smaller companies like OCZ and EVGA simply THRIVE on service for a good reason: they can't Fucl( you over and still survive.

Griff805
07-20-2009, 09:43 PM
It may sound crazy, or maybe it's already been done- but it would be interesting to see if all the major Tech forums could work together to come up with a Manufacturer warranty support rating system. If they could come up with a large enough audience, the ratings that each company receives would directly affect the companies sales. Now, I know Newegg and Amazon and the others have a specific product rating, but this would be based on company warranty support specifically. I believe this would help tremendously in raising the standards for end-user support from those larger companies.

Has this already been done? I can't imagine i'm the first to think of it-

Machinus
07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I was out 12 months for a replacement for my BROKEN p5k premium. I rmad 3 times and completely replaced every other component in my system before I got it fixed.

Consider yourself lucky and don't buy from Asus again.

RADCOM
07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
I think the ASUS UK office is literally one person working out of a small office or from home, also no one stays in the job very often. The international support dsk is also renowned for it's inability to resolve a situation. They do indeed need a kick up the bum! The only time I have had a good resolution from Asus was when the e-tailer replaced the product, I have even had to send a board back to the US for a valid RMA ( you would have thought a global company would have replaced it here) If you want to start some sort of petition I'll sign..........

RCG_Bex
07-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Definite. If anyone wants to start a petition with me, then say now and we'll work something out. I plan on sending it direct to Asus and exploiting their services.

Any ideas on how best to go about it?

~Bex

Griff805
07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I wasn't exactly talking about a petition. A petition would only work for one company at a time. I'm talking about almost a "Tom's Chart" on all the different Video Card and Motherboard manufacturers in how they handle warranty support. It would be a centralized site for all the major tech sites such as Xtremesystems, Hardforums, AnandTech, Toms Hardware, etc.

People could come, and use their real information to verify their claims (Kept private of course) then people could login and see what each company's record is and decide whether or not buying their product is worth the risk. I'm sure there are enough people around those sites mentioned above to get a decent support history together.

RADCOM
07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
I wasn't exactly talking about a petition. A petition would only work for one company at a time. I'm talking about almost a "Tom's Chart" on all the different Video Card and Motherboard manufacturers in how they handle warranty support. It would be a centralized site for all the major tech sites such as Xtremesystems, Hardforums, AnandTech, Toms Hardware, etc.

People could come, and use their real information to verify their claims (Kept private of course) then people could login and see what each company's record is and decide whether or not buying their product is worth the risk. I'm sure there are enough people around those sites mentioned above to get a decent support history together.

In essence a "name them and shame them" database?

Griff805
07-21-2009, 11:26 AM
In essence a "name them and shame them" database?

It goes both ways though- People would be able to upload their positive experiences as well. So more like "name them and proclaim or shame them". Ideally it would get to the point to where a company would refer you to post a positive experience on the site because it makes such an impact in their sales. And they would be competing in support once again because of it-

RCG_Bex
07-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Well Asus emailed me back today. Said they'd offer me a marketing sample (used) GTX285 or GTX295 in replacement of my 4870X2 and the manager has so far agreed verbily. I just told him a top end dual GPU for a top end dual GPU or there's a large topic going to be making it's way to the magazines exploiting the poor services. We shall wait and see what is said....

~Bex

JohnZS
07-22-2009, 06:47 AM
The whole experience of RMAing your product Bex has been appauling, not meaning to be mellodramatic or anything, but I belive it is about time the likes of "Toms Hardware", or "Anandtech" et al reviewd "RMA process" of a vendor.

A few months back I too was having a problem with BFG's RMA process and were it not for somehow acquiring their UK office telephone number the issue would have never been resolved.

I hope this all works out for you, but ASUS realy have done a slack job, IMHO they should ship out a replacement Video Card (like for like, or replacement if the card is EOL) as soon as they book your defective hardware into testing.

If they do not have any in stock...they should source from nearest stockist. (I belive ASUS' Europe is in the Netherlands but I might be wrong on this... haven't had any RMA's with them since my P4P800 died and that took 4 weeks to replace for a P4P800-SE)

Good Luck

John

Machinus
07-22-2009, 08:12 AM
I agree...

Last month I RMAd a BFG videocard, and when they sent me the replacement it was a card that was 1/2 the power of the one I sent in. When I called in, they tried to tell me it was just as good and that there was no problem.

If I hadn't tracked down a rep, I would have been screwed.

JohnZS
07-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree...

Last month I RMAd a BFG videocard, and when they sent me the replacement it was a card that was 1/2 the power of the one I sent in. When I called in, they tried to tell me it was just as good and that there was no problem.

If I hadn't tracked down a rep, I would have been screwed.

Not meaning to thread jack but Machinus and other people in the UK with BFG RMA issues might find this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213118&highlight=BFG+RMA) useful
BFG UK number is in this thread somewhere... along with my tales of woe..
John

tommyshango
07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
I just dont get why everyone is so supportive of Asus. They have terrible customer service. I have rmad things with plenty of other manufacturers and anyone who takes weeks to respond I dont do business with again. I sometimes think to myself I would rather RMA a new purchase just to test how their customer service is but then of course I would be out my new toy. I recently rmad a gigabyte motherboard and there were no issues. They responded quickly and set up the rma quickly and upon receiving the rmad item the turn around was quick including quick shipping. Perfect. Unlike rmaing an asus board which took me almost 2 months or 3 months i cant even remember anymore but I have never went back again. I am very happy with gigabyte now.

JohnZS
07-22-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree Tommy
It's sad to see many companies forget to support those who supported them by parting with their money to purchase their products.
I think it is about time these hardware sites such as Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Hexus et al reviewed various company's RMA procedure IN THE USA AND THE REST OF THE WORLD (call me bias, but it is important that the rest of the world has the RMA procedure reviewed as there are companies that do have fantastic USA support, but shambolic European and Asian support)
John

RCG_Bex
07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
BFG is actually ok - you find the contact number for their office in Wales and seriously, the guys are sound as heck about it. They accidently shipped my cards to a wrong address, sent them to mine for next day, arrived smashed by Fedex, so they took them back (they arranged pickups etc so no fees) and upgraded me further with another 2 cards. (7600GT's > 8600GT's > 8800GTS's)

No questions asked and nothing but appologetic about what had happend.

Asus RMA's go through Czech and Netherlands (depending on what hardware it is) BUT the RMA tracking system isn't the same system used when they ship from the UK. Also, Asus charge you £16 to perform an RMA outwith a vendor (for though out of 1st yr etc). The place that takes the RMA's isn't far from where I live and even getting a hold of them is bad enough. Roll on Gigabyte with UK based repairs!

~Bex

Laine
07-22-2009, 11:26 AM
This is exactly why I don't have ANY Asus products in my rigs anymore.

The only thing Asus is worthy to be is mockups for modifying my cases, only time it can't go wrong.

I feel sorry for you and this situation is way out of line, but I also feel sorry for the guy at Asus because you can tell he's trying, but being run over.

JohnZS
07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks Bex, I'll make a note that Gigabyte have decent RMA and support for my next build:up:
Fingers crossed on your Video Card Replacement going smoothly from here on in
John

Griff805
07-22-2009, 12:14 PM
I just received my 2nd rma from ASUS for a Tri-Fan model of 4870X2 and it has the same exact problem (Both DVI ports cannot display 2560X1600, one maxes out at 1280x800 when connected to a 30" monitor). I have Visiontek 4870X2 that does not have this problem. When I received the first RMA from them, it had the same exact problem even though I requested specifically that they test the functionality of the Tri-Fan model.

Anyway, ended up RMA'ing just because they weren't getting back to me about it. Lo and behold, new Tri-Fan model sent to me, but same exact problem. I just spoke with their level 3 and asked if they could just send me one of their GTX295/285 (I'm thinking 285 because I am tired of dealing with dual gpus as well as AMD, bought a FirePro V8700 and it took over a month to get a support question answered... all this time I thought paying the higher cost included higher support, not true). They told me that they would have to verify the problem before they could send me a different card. So, all in all, ASUS is just wasting my time- best they could do is cover my shipping costs for the third RMA.

I wish I had the time to throw together a website for Manufacturer warranty support ratings, cause I would do it in a heartbeat. It would save us customers a lot of time and money.

RCG_Bex
07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Indeed. I was thinking a GTX285 would be cheaper for me 2 get a second 1 and cheaper for blocks but meh, they're definitely giving me the GTX295 now (lol I should have asked for an Asus MARS LOL)

Hopefully it arrives some time soon.

~Bex

GAR
07-22-2009, 09:08 PM

BFG in the USA has one of the best RMA's i have ever dealt with. :clap: ASUS on the other hand sucks all over the globe it appears.

GAR
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Indeed. I was thinking a GTX285 would be cheaper for me 2 get a second 1 and cheaper for blocks but meh, they're definitely giving me the GTX295 now (lol I should have asked for an Asus MARS LOL)

Hopefully it arrives some time soon.

~Bex

Atleast you get something good in the end, congrats and enjoy your newer faster card. :up:

joger
07-25-2009, 03:52 AM
Got one of my Asus 4870's back from the shop (sold the other one, still working) and they said RMA is a no-go due to a cracked core, basically they blamed me and voided warranty. They told me sending the card back to the importer would definently not get me a new card, and I'd have to pay 40 euros if it came back from them with the warranty voided. I just removed the cooler and checked, two of the corners of the GPU look very very very tinily rounded, not sharp like the other two. The size of those "cracks" must be like 0.01mm x 0.01 or something, I can barely see them.

The thing is, I had this card no-posting some time ago, and it went away with a cooler reseat (card had no ramsinks stock, and I kept the stock VRM sink on with the stock heat tape), so I find it hard to believe that I cracked the core since the card worked fine when I left on friday, and was dead when I came back on sunday, my computer was off the whole time, cooler untouched.

Never buying from that shop again, another shop replaced my saphire 3870x2 within 11 days of RMA (a couple of SMD components off, screws showed signs of tampering, and I changed the TIM's on the GPU heatsinks) no questions asked.

Now I have an Asus GTX 295 :D

EDIT: nevermind, my Rampage II Gene broke the integrated NIC and two memory slots. I have a LAN upcoming in 11 days, I wonder if I can get a new one by RMA before it...

RCG_Bex
07-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Got one of my Asus 4870's back from the shop (sold the other one, still working) and they said RMA is a no-go due to a cracked core, basically they blamed me and voided warranty. They told me sending the card back to the importer would definently not get me a new card, and I'd have to pay 40 euros if it came back from them with the warranty voided. I just removed the cooler and checked, two of the corners of the GPU look very very very tinily rounded, not sharp like the other two. The size of those "cracks" must be like 0.01mm x 0.01 or something, I can barely see them.

The thing is, I had this card no-posting some time ago, and it went away with a cooler reseat (card had no ramsinks stock, and I kept the stock VRM sink on with the stock heat tape), so I find it hard to believe that I cracked the core since the card worked fine when I left on friday, and was dead when I came back on sunday, my computer was off the whole time, cooler untouched.

Never buying from that shop again, another shop replaced my saphire 3870x2 within 11 days of RMA (a couple of SMD components off, screws showed signs of tampering, and I changed the TIM's on the GPU heatsinks) no questions asked.

Now I have an Asus GTX 295 :D

EDIT: nevermind, my Rampage II Gene broke the integrated NIC and two memory slots. I have a LAN upcoming in 11 days, I wonder if I can get a new one by RMA before it...

Lol yup! Asus = FAIL!!!

What LAN are you going to? i37 by any chance? :D

~Bex

RCG_Bex
07-31-2009, 07:36 AM
ROFLMBFFAO! I couldn't believe it when I pulled the box out. Looked tattered and torn and then, I see this!!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/Elemental-Dragon/AsusGTX295-1.jpg

Flip it over and then I see this!!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb22/Elemental-Dragon/AsusGTX295-2.jpg

Quick - someone go check CPC and PC Format and tell me if my card got a good review!!! :rofl:

~Bex

Diablero
07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Ha, Finaly! At last you got something worth it.

RCG_Bex
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Jesus, that mofo is sooooooooooooooooo heavy!

~Bex

RCG_Bex
07-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Jesus, that mofo is sooooooooooooooooo heavy!

~Bex

Scubar
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Heres your wonderful card review LOL

http://www.custompc.co.uk/reviews/605505/nvidia-geforce-gtx-295.html

JohnZS
08-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Glad to see you got the card in the end Bex
Cool..it was was a review card too :)
I hope your new card works out.
John

RCG_Bex
08-02-2009, 07:44 AM
*face palm* Typical... bad review - probs a crap card then....

~Bex

RCG_Bex
08-02-2009, 07:46 AM
*face palm* Typical... bad review - probs a crap card then....

~Bex

BababooeyHTJ
08-04-2009, 06:15 PM
That is exactly why I would never buy a video card from Asus. I have dealt with Asus before and their customer service if thats what you want to call it is horrific. I doubt that my next motherboard will be an Asus board but my P5Q D has treated me so well. They make quality products but their customer service is the worst in the buisness.

Have you guys ever read that Asus customer service review by Benchzowner? It's pretty sad.

GAR
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
This is exactly why I don't have ANY Asus products in my rigs anymore.

The only thing Asus is worthy to be is mockups for modifying my cases, only time it can't go wrong.

I feel sorry for you and this situation is way out of line, but I also feel sorry for the guy at Asus because you can tell he's trying, but being run over.

Same here.

millertime359
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
It seems those Asus RMA issues are mainly overseas. Outside of the tech guy that didn't know what a motherboard was and the other guy that had his mind made up even before I started to describe the issue it was my other hardware's fault. My RMAs went smooth. It didn't help though that the board I bought was an RMA and stright died on me the next day. Then the replacement died after I tried to OC my CPU. Those were my only issues.

Security
08-19-2009, 04:33 PM
I heard so many bad things about the Asus customer support and seen such a degradation in general product quality that I don't even consider Asus as an option for any hardware anymore, it is sad how a decent company can go so wrong.

Humminn55
08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I'll never buy another Asus video card ever again after my two RMA horror stories with the two I purchased (3870 and 4850.)

On the other hand, have bought well over 15 Asus motherboards and have had one fail, a CUSL2 from waaaay back, and it RMA'd easily. Still use Asus motherboards and have been quite pleased with them....even have an Asus 26" LCD monitor and it's been perfect, too. (Knock on wood.)

Hawkeye4077
08-26-2009, 07:50 PM
I've had atypical ASUS support then.

K8N-DL #1 dead - RMA for repair recieved K8N-DL #2
K8N-DL #2 doa - Asus: "oops we sent you the wrong board" -> sent K8N-DL #3 via overseas Express Mail USPS to my Army Base in Germany, they usually only use Fedex
K8N-DL #3 : brand new retail box with all stuff.. board worked perfectly

L1N64 SLI #1: overvolt on CPU2 caused 8pin EPS12v to burn up; Asus sends L1N64 #2
L1N64-SLI #2: Brand new retail board with all accessories worked perfectly

KFN32-D SLI #1: Board wont cold power-on with dual Barcelona's (cycling PSU will fire it up), spent 3 days @ ASUS RMA and just got tracking # for replacement today; eta Friday
Will let you know how it turns out.

I've never owned any ASUS video cards, and I have noticed that they tend to give better support to server class customers (its a shame really as we are a minority compared to mainstream). I have never had to wait more than 24 hours for a response and they don't make me do retarded troubleshooting that Ive done multiple times before issuing an RMA #.

damunk
09-08-2009, 03:22 AM
This thread is exactly why I stopped buying hardware from Asus after my Striker II Formula 780i experience...

Had to RMA it 3 times to just keep getting the same problems with refurbished boards, it wouldn't even play videos. The RMA proces took about 7 weeks EVERY TIME, so in the end I just sold the board and bought myself a Gigabyte board. I have done a lot of RMAing and I've never seen such crappy service as with Asus. With gigabyte you'll have a new board within a week, and thats the way it should be.

BababooeyHTJ
09-09-2009, 05:31 PM
This thread is exactly why I stopped buying hardware from Asus after my Striker II Formula 780i experience...

Had to RMA it 3 times to just keep getting the same problems with refurbished boards, it wouldn't even play videos. The RMA proces took about 7 weeks EVERY TIME, so in the end I just sold the board and bought myself a Gigabyte board. I have done a lot of RMAing and I've never seen such crappy service as with Asus. With gigabyte you'll have a new board within a week, and thats the way it should be.

Well, in Asus' defense that is a known problem with 7xxi series boards and it took Nvidia a long time to even acknowledge the problem. Just google 780i video corruption.

Johnmark
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
WOW I've used nothing but ASUS MOBO's for the last 20 years and have never had a failure. Having said that you people across the pond are getting SCREWED !!!
There is no way in gods green earth most on the North American continent would put up with that kind of service. I just RMAed some bad Patriot RAM, 2 weeks and I had my new RAM. Both the vendor(CanadaDirect) and Patriot where very eager to get me my new RAM. I elected to go with CanadaDirect and they even paid my shipping cost to send it to them as I had spent $900 and told them I expected something extra for my trouble's.
I really have a hard time fathoming how I would deal with issue's such as have been raised here!

RCG_Bex
09-12-2009, 04:39 AM
My Asus mobo is still to this day working fine - it's just the cards I've had issues with...

However my GTX295 is still going strong :)

~Bex

damunk
09-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Well, in Asus' defense that is a known problem with 7xxi series boards and it took Nvidia a long time to even acknowledge the problem. Just google 780i video corruption.

I know it was a problem with the 780i chipset, but since they knew about these problems they could've atleast gone with sending me a different chipset, but neither the store or ASUS would comply with my request. Even after sending them that "2000+ post topic" that you wanted to send me to they wouldn't even acknowledge it was a problem. They would rather deny the problem then keep their customers happy. And it wasn't just the video corruption either, 2 of the 3 boards that they sent me had problems with their northbridge getting WAY too hot.

Switched to a gigabyte EX38-DS4 and it's been running great ever since :)

BababooeyHTJ
09-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I know it was a problem with the 780i chipset, but since they knew about these problems they could've atleast gone with sending me a different chipset, but neither the store or ASUS would comply with my request. Even after sending them that "2000+ post topic" that you wanted to send me to they wouldn't even acknowledge it was a problem. They would rather deny the problem then keep their customers happy. And it wasn't just the video corruption either, 2 of the 3 boards that they sent me had problems with their northbridge getting WAY too hot.

Switched to a gigabyte EX38-DS4 and it's been running great ever since :)

The northbridge on my P7N Diamond ran insanely hot too and eventually died. Did MSI send me a different chipset? Once again a Nvidia issue. Do you think that I was happy when the chipset drivers corrupted my raid array? Nvidia makes crappy chipsets and charges a lot of money for them. Should Asus eat that cost? Nvidia did not acknowledge the issue for a long time. So, Asus should while possibly being sued? Your anger is directed at the wrong company.

My Asus P5Q Deluxe that I switched to from a 780i has been running great ever since. You wanna know why? It's a different chipset.

Wishmaker
09-22-2009, 03:25 AM
***Sorry for the lenghty post, but here goes ***

I feel like home in this thread. I bought an Asus U6Sg laptop a while back. I ordered the thing from the states because 2000 dollars is not 2000 euros. After 3 weeks, the laptop arrived and I started using it. 2 days later i decided to hook it up for a slideshow projection and guess what? There was huge flickering on battery, the image was jerking around, losing colour. Started the usual :

1. Format
2. FW
3. Remove FW, Driver Sweeper, etc
4. Format, BIOS update, everything

Nothing helped. I call Asus NL and I was advised to go on the website and RMA the thing. I go on the website and the whole thing was in dutch back then. Had to use a translator, did not find my model on there but the dude on the phone said it will be fine. The next day, TNT, shipping service, came to pick it up. I made sure to leave a nice 1 page doc between the screen and the keyboard explaining the whole process and what I did. I emphasized that I did not want them to send it back broken. This was on a Tuesday and having no news from Asus, Friday I called them back. The guys say that they have my lappy and that they will fix it asap. They need a new mobo so in a week everything should be fine. I call in a week, i have to explain the situation over and over again, they tell, me the parts have arrived, monday they will send my laptop back. I call on Tuesday, they tell me that they mobo has not arrived. I need to wait another week. After a month of lies, one of them said that if in a week the motherboard does not come he will offer a replacement. Guess what? No mobo, I call them back and they wanted to give me a 1 year old U3 laptop. When I said, sure, and when you fix mine, send it I send yours. They said it does not work like that. They offerent to give me back 900 euros and I said are you kidding? I paid a lot more, I used it 2 days and it has been in your possession ever since. I had to contact Asus UK and Asus US to get connected to L3 service. I even started legal procedures to sue them. Holland and Luxembourg are in the EU so I had no problem with that. I conferenced my L3 call with my lawyer and sent a legalise document to the person in charged via fax. In 6 hours I had a replacement laptop, like mine. Two days later, the card reader broke. That is not an issue because I have compact flash in my Nikons so this one is SD size. I never sent it back, eventhough, I was advised I will get a replacement in less than 48 hours. Its been 1.5 years and the laptop has never had an issue. I've been using it NON STOP, it is always turned on.

Why did I buy Asus? Because I had a lovely Deluxe on a Barton mobile. Overclocking worked great, 2.8 GHz at that time and I was smashing every INTEL out there. After this deluxe, I had a few other Asus mobos and I had nothing but pleasant experiences with their products. I bought the Asus laptop and I said it will be the same. After my horrid experience I will never buy Asus again.

To the OP, that GTX was sent as a desperate measure to shut you up. Still, I am happy you got something interesting and working.

thebanik
09-22-2009, 04:20 AM
And I used to think, its the local Distributor of Asus in India who gives bad service, looks like its a global issue. Most of the guyz on Indian forums already avoid Asus Products but sadly thats such small percentage of users that Asus can easily ignore us and still continue to thrive.....

killerxx7
09-23-2009, 06:45 AM
I hope my ASUS gtx285 never dies on me :(

saaya
09-23-2009, 07:28 AM
How many cards have I RMA'd with the same or similar problem? Too many!
well how many cards DID you rma? :D
could it be that they arent sending you a new card cause you keep breaking them? :D

eRazorzEDGE
09-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I feel for the long delays in RMA return, however, the 3 mobo's and one video card I've sent back did come back to me in working order. The 1st mobo took 3 months, and I was livid about that scenario, but the other two only took less than a month. The video card took a month and a half, supposedly it being ASUS was out of stock of the 4870x2's and was waiting on their shipments from hong kong or wherever.

OfficerDibble
08-28-2010, 04:54 AM
RMA'd a RIIE and got a replacement back inside 4 weeks.