PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Help

Hardass
11-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Most of my rigs are connected via cables. I have one in a seperate room that is wireless. Is there a way for me to get that connected to my network without the cable?

shray
11-17-2003, 05:34 PM
Does the one in a seperate room connected to a router (IS a access point) or is it a wireless router? You could buy wireless usb or pci kits for each rig and set it up to connect to that access point. :)

Hardass
11-17-2003, 05:37 PM
It connects to my Linksys wireless router. But that just gives it internet access. How do I connect to it from another computer?

sjohnson
11-17-2003, 06:06 PM
Does your network look like:

internet<->cable/dsl modem<->wireless router<->wireless PC

and

internet<->cable/dsl modem<->router<->all other PC's

Or, how would you draw the connections to the wireless PC's AND all the other PC's?

(Edit) The codes available on this BB don't let me do ascii drawings. I had another schematic but the post kept losing leading spaces :(

Hardass
11-17-2003, 06:10 PM
First setup!

sjohnson
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
So, you have two cable/dsl modems? If so, you have two networks that, as shown are only accessible to each other through the internet.

For the wireless client to see the other PC's in that case, you'd have to open both LANs to the internet, pretty much a very bad thing. Provides a welcome mat to even the dumbest script kiddie/hacker.

Better would be to setup the wireless router as a bridge to the wired router, with all the PC's sharing one cable/dsl modem. That's the diagram I tried to draw and couldn't. Let me see what I can whip up in paint or something for a drawing of a secure system that should do what you want. Back ASAP.

Hardass
11-17-2003, 06:34 PM
I only have one modem! Internet to modem-wirelessrouter-switchbox-pc,s and a wireless pc in another room that connects to internet via wireless router.

sjohnson
11-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Sound like you have some ethernet ports on the router and the switchbox is connected through one of those ports. Like my D-Link 614+, it has 4 wired jacks on the back, one Internet jack plus the wireless feature.

Do I have the right picture now? Thanks for being patient :)

sjohnson
11-17-2003, 06:52 PM
This is how I think you're setup. Let me know if this pic is right or where it should be changed, K?

Hardass
11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
yep!!

sjohnson
11-17-2003, 07:33 PM
That's good - suggest that the only thing holding you back from seeing the wireless PC on your network is software config of the PC.

Can the wired PC's all see each other?

Hardass
11-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Yes i use xp remote desktop. I can even connect from the job.

sjohnson
11-17-2003, 08:52 PM
If the wireless PC is in the same WORKGROUP or DOMAIN as the others, and is running standard services (you haven't stopped any from a default windows install), it's possible that your router is denying LAN login access between the wired pc's and the wireless pc's.

My wireless router does this, I think it's because I enabled WEP on the wireless side of the router. The wired side has no WEP and my guess is that the wired PC's can't authenticate with the wireless PC's.

Funny thing is, the wireless PC"s can connect to the wired one but not the other way around.

My D-Link DI-614+ (wireless router) has no configuration that I can find to allow it to treat the wired and wireless PC's as equals. I'm shopping for one that will, no luck yet.

You could try disabling WEP if enabled, that might let the wired PC's see the wireless one.

Hardass
11-18-2003, 02:51 AM
I got it!!! The way my network is setup I had to assign ip,s to every rig. When I installed the wireless card in the rig in another room it reverted back to get ip automatically. I switched it back to the assigned ip and it is working just like when a cable was hooked up. sjohnson thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

sjohnson
11-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you solved it on your own, started with basics and worked it out from there. WTG :)