PDA

View Full Version : Notebook for my sister - need proposals

generics_user
06-24-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm looking for a 13"-14" notebook for my sister and need some recommendations:

Need:

Lightweight Laptop (2.5kb MAX, under 2kg preferred)
Battery runtime (min 3 hours with wifi + office use)
some gaming (C&C generals; KOTOR; Oblivion) on mid - low details,
it shouldn't be too ugly
as thin as possible

options:

1.) Macbook Pro 13.3"

+Battery runtime
+Bright display
+thin
+touchpad + keyboard
+noise
-connectivity
- heat

2.) Dell XPS13

-Battery runtime
-noise
-heat
+Graphics card
+connectivity
+built-in UMTS module (HSDPA?!)

3.) sony VGN-SR41

+ great specs
-no reviews...

do you know any other notebooks which may be better than the apple + dell and cheaper than 1200€?

illuminatiASUS
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
You may want to check out the this notebook ASUS F6VE - Hope this help in your comparisons. Best of luck

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220495

grimREEFER
07-07-2009, 11:13 AM
dell studio 14z , has crazy good battery life with the optional 8 cell battery that is flush with the case.

maybe check out the hp dv3t also. get it with the nvidia G 105m and 9 cell. should get you insane battery life.

the macbook is also a great choice. definitely the best chassis there.

AndrewZorn
07-07-2009, 02:39 PM
so you can play Generals and Oblivion on a Macbook? Or do you plan on installing Windows to it?

Semicycle
07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
+1 on the Dell XPS1. My brother loves his.

generics_user
07-09-2009, 06:24 AM
well the laptop is here already (Dell XPS 13)

the LED Display is great (contrast, brightness + viewing angle) and it comes with all those small extras you need: bluetooth; esata; HSDPA+UMTS module; card reader; dvd drive (slot in is so cool) + a full width expresscard slot

the fan runs 99% of the time but it's very quiet, doesn't make a high-pitched noise and the notebook stays very cool without hybrid sli (fan noise is lower than on my HP 6715b which is very quiet)
the hard drive is a surprisingly fast 7200 rpm 500 gb model and the keyboard is great with no inverted ctrl+fn keys, background lighting and quiet opera

so far i had no issues with it (only a crappy stock vista installation...) and the keyboard is superb (as good as the HP/Compaq 6xxx series ones)