PDA

View Full Version : How old were you when you realized you were an old fart?

twilyth
06-23-2009, 09:40 PM
For me, I think it was around 16y.o. If I sat on the floor too long cross legged, i couldn't get up for a few minutes. I always wore my pants at or above the navel. I watched Face the Nation and 60 Minutes every Sunday - and I enjoyed it. My idea of a good time was sneaking a hot tea into the seminary library and reading for a few hours.

I've been an old fart for so long, I sort of forgot about it. But I've been hanging out on some forums that attract mainly the 35-55 crowd - in other words, NOT the coveted 18-34 demographic. And just based on some of the comments people dropped, I realized that I'd finally come home. (cue 'I'm going home' song from Rocky Horror). There were other old farts talking like old farts and it was GREAT. I even liked the golf references. I hate golf. I'm convinced it is a device invented by Satan to get leverage over the souls he couldn't buy outright. 'Yes Mr. Rockefeller, you may own most of the country, but who's going to help you go under par on the back 9? Hmmm?'

Old farts will overclock, but only because it saves them money by getting the same performance from a cheaper chip. And we'll play with the facebook and the twitter - but just to see what it's about so we can keep an eye out for the IPO (init pub offering).

Being an old fart isn't just a description, it's a mindset and a life style - much like Zen. 'Do not FEEL the bond yield grasshopper. BECOME the bond yield.'

Planet
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
shhh Dave still doesnt know

EniGmA1987
06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
I realised that Im old just this year. Im 21 and realised that people in high school were born in the mid 90s... I actually remember a lot that was going on in the 90s and the y2k scare and all that. Then you talk to some of my friends and they are like "huh? whats y2k? I was still watching pokemon and in elementrary school in 2000"

Sparky
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Bah, I'm 22 and am not an old fart yet :D

Well..... sometimes I might be. Or my shoulder insists it came from one. Or something. But...yeah I'm not in that mindset yet! :D

gillbot
06-24-2009, 09:26 AM
the first time I caught myself shopping and said "I remember then this was only $x.xx"

wondergod
06-24-2009, 09:36 AM
A few years ago when I realized that I preferred sitting at home, drinking a few beers, and relaxing, than going to a bar with some friends and getting piss drunk.

Although I must admit every now and then I do go out and get piss drunk :rofl:

Vinas
06-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Oh god, I just realized most of the people here are in their 20's ????!

I'm the only one to vote in the 30+ section lol :down: ;)

[XC] gomeler
06-24-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm still living the drive fast, work hard, and sleep little lifestyle. I think I'll become an old fart the moment they dump me in the ground.

MikeB12
06-24-2009, 10:25 AM
wow! over half the people up there think they are an old fart between ages 10-30... :shakes: by the time yall hit 40, you're gonna be decrepit dinosaurs...

I was running around being a teenage punk in the 80's with acid washed jeans going to WhiteSnake and Motely Crue concerts.

HoJo
06-24-2009, 10:49 AM
When a 23 year old co-worker informed me I was born the same year as her mother. That was about 8 years ago. We still work together.

MomijiTMO
06-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Now. We were talking about starcraft and the user hadn't played it. It soon dawned on me that the game was older than this guy. I am old now.

n00b 0f l337
06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
dave doesnt know?
his "oldest fart" is debatable as the big bang or what knocked out those dino's

ben805
06-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm 34 with two kids but I ain't feeling old, I don't party or hang out with college/HS kids but dude this is my prime time!! I'm still fit and in shape so no way man...I ain't "old farts" in any form or way. :D :D

MINIz guy
06-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I've realized that I'm getting old this freshman year in high school, track season exactly. I was 14 for most of my season, running well against juniors and seniors. I turned 15, and realized that I wasn't much younger than all the others, yet was only mid-pack in my sprints. I want to drop another .5 seconds on my 100m sprint, but I'm starting to feel that my body is already at its limit.

trance565
06-25-2009, 02:47 PM
I've realized that I'm getting old this freshman year in high school, track season exactly. I was 14 for most of my season, running well against juniors and seniors. I turned 15, and realized that I wasn't much younger than all the others, yet was only mid-pack in my sprints. I want to drop another .5 seconds on my 100m sprint, but I'm starting to feel that my body is already at its limit.

im not sure about this, but i would think if you started running with 20-30 extra lb strapped to you, maybe you could drop that .5 seconds when you run without the weights. my logic is rather simple, im sure it's flawed somewhere.

sirheck
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Where is the 100+ vote at?
It would be for MM but he is too old to remember when
he was too old to remember.

twilyth
06-25-2009, 08:53 PM
I wasn't going to admit this, but I was actually accused of being an old fart when I was 12. I can't remember the reason, I just remember I'd never heard the term before and didn't really get it. Do farts age? They dissipate pretty quickly - maybe not as quickly as we might hope, but still. How would an old one be different from a young one? Eventually I just accepted it as one of expressions that don't really mean anything on their own but are just short hand for something else.

motopen1s
06-26-2009, 12:41 AM
I drove once in the train with a mother and her daughter from Spain. The mother was hot, elegant, smart... on top of that - she simply seem to emit sexual energy all around. Basically, I would NOT skip a chance... ;)

Then I've found out that she is 65... I did not believe that at first of course, since mid 40th is maximum I would ever think.

I am in my 20's and never really thought of an age as an accurate indicator of pretty much anything. However, that train drive redefined/brought my thinking to another level. :)

Particle
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
My problem with being 22 is that there isn't really anything "new" left to experience. Childhood was fun because there were constantly new things I'd never experienced before that I'd experience for the first time. Talk about fun. For all of us, at one time going to the theater was an exciting proposition as was eating a candy bar or using a computer. Now though? I've done or become familiar with pretty much everything there is, so I have to wonder what is left. Is becoming older a sentence for perpetually increasing boredom? Yuck. I'm old and I know it, but there's got to be something to life that I'm missing. Any of you people older than me care to share what makes your life enjoyable?

twilyth
06-26-2009, 03:07 PM
My problem with being 22 is that there isn't really anything "new" left to experience. Childhood was fun because there were constantly new things I'd never experienced before that I'd experience for the first time. Talk about fun. For all of us, at one time going to the theater was an exciting proposition as was eating a candy bar or using a computer. Now though? I've done or become familiar with pretty much everything there is, so I have to wonder what is left. Is becoming older a sentence for perpetually increasing boredom? Yuck. I'm old and I know it, but there's got to be something to life that I'm missing. Any of you people older than me care to share what makes your life enjoyable?

Asking for advice from an old fart? That could be dangerous. We've got lots of opinions and we're only too happy to share. :D

Anyway, are you sure that you're not just generally bummed out? I mean there's always stuff you haven't done. But the thing that really makes me happy is learning - especially things that I can put to use, but it applies to pretty much anything. For example I read an article today about an experimental drug that blocks pain without any of the side effects typical of analgesics. (article here (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aC2haw8NOHW0)). And I enjoy sharing things that I learn with other people on forums like this. But even before I started participating in these types of groups, I read all the mainstream media stuff I could about science and technology.

But I think what drives most people is having a set of goals that you can achieve one by one. You have to find something that you're passionate about. Maybe you just haven't found that yet.

RAW-Raptor22
06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Im 15, but I like old movies, old music (60s/70s/80s is the best), old cars, the history channel, playing golf, Vintage stuff. I was born an old fart. :p:

Haha. :)

IFMU
06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
What? You're 15?

/not voting or answering...

RAW-Raptor22
06-26-2009, 03:31 PM
What? You're 15?

/not voting or answering...

Yes. I voted 10-20. :p: