PDA

View Full Version : Debian 2.6.26-2 build folders missing

SoulsCollective
06-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Hey folks
I was able to pick up an older Mac Powerbook G4 for very, very cheap - under $30 including cost of replacing HDD - and am trying to install Debian on it. Going well so far, but have now run into what seems to be an insurmountable obstacle in geting wireless to work.

Machine specs - Powerbook G4, 60GB HDD, 4GB RAM, 1.3GHz PPC CPU.

Downloaded and burnt latest netinst version of Debian, partition and install went fine. Netinst found and installed correct drivers for mostly everything except wireless - which is pretty much par for the course. Booted up, apt-got for make and all the relevant 2.6.26-2 kernel headers - common, vserv, powerpc, powerpc-smp. Googled for and downloaded what seems to be the correct Broadcomm driver package, tried to make, and ran into this charming little error:

make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.26-2-powerpc/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
Doing some reading revealed that the /lib/mod/(uname -r)/build folder is only a sym-link for /usr/src/linux-headers-(uname -r)/build. Unfortunately, despite apt-geting the complete range of kernel headers available, there are no build folders in any of the header folders - so there's nothing to symlink to.

I'm stumped. I don't know what to do next - Google and forums reveal plenty of cases where the symlink didn't exist and needed to be made via ln -s, but I can't find anything about what to do when the kernel header downloads contain no build folders.

halp?

enteon
06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
on my lenny '/lib/modules/2.6.26-2-amd64/build' points to '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.26-2-amd64/', without build at the end. but also no build folder in amd64 or common ^^

graphics drivers, drm and atheros compiled and compile well. for the later i used module-assistant (m-a). maybe this nice tool can help you, as it automatically installs all the things necessary to compile modules.

if it does not, post in debian or linux related forums or write a mail to the source/package maintainer who you think can help you best. they are usually very friendly people who tend to do the work for you :up:

i asked for one driver package (even though the documentation was very clear and easy i was somehow too dumb to do it on my own) but 'kano' gave me 10, including every flavour possible or possibly needed :D

SoulsCollective
06-23-2009, 01:25 AM
m-a, if I understand correctly, is only designed to work with packages that have already been 'Debian-ized' - ie. end in -source - and produces a package output appropriate to your kernel for use with dpkg. Here I'm just dealing with a binary package straight from tarball.

I've since managed to get wireless working, it appears that the issue was not one of drivers needed (b43 drivers are included in Lenny) but of missing firmware, which a handy app I was pointed to called b43-fwcutter fixed. Wireless now works. I'd still like to fix make, though, as I'm sure I'll need to update/install something else at some point.

NidStyles
07-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Was this with the Airport extreme card? What were the command's to get Lenny to work properly with the wireless? I ended having to FTP the .iso of the wireless and the KDE4, and then burn them to disk to get it all to work.

Still having headaches on why I can't get the external USB drives to mount....

Gogeta
09-30-2009, 07:35 AM
Just curious, did you solve the case of the missing build folders?

SoulsCollective
09-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Nope. Still missing, and haven't found any reasons or anyone with any better ideas so far - but as the need hasn't come up yet, this has been back-seated for the time being.