PDA

View Full Version : ...A Lesson Learned....

123bob
06-21-2009, 01:46 AM
We'll genius me...I' had a flu virus thing hit me the last two days, it caused me to want to crawl in a hole and die. I felt better today, so what do I do? I go up to my local Legion Post to find out how a security camera project I contracted out to a company was going. There were lots of issues with it, and some good things too. We'll work through those...I had to know, since it was "my" project, right?

So, I sit there waiting to see how the cameras perform in the dark. What do you do in the meantime? Well, a few brandies can't hurt, right? Then let's make the genius decision to drive the bartender home....:brick:

Yea, I got pulled over for possible DUI....Had he wanted me, he had me, he knew it, I knew it, and I let him know it. Lucky me, he allowed me to park the vehicle and walk home. I would have not been so lucky elsewhere....

Lesson learned, don't need to teach me that one twice....

Hope others learn from this too. Doesn't matter how much "pie" you make, we all make mistakes. I made a big one tonight...:yepp:

Regards,
Bob

Martijn
06-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I made it a habit to not drink anything when I'm leaving by car. If I do, I always take my bike. When I'm on the road, I'm dangerous enough without alcohol :ROTF:

emuexport
06-21-2009, 03:04 AM
I think one drink is ok but anymore is too much and you "can't" drive in my books. That way everyone including yourself stays safe.

If you are lucky like me the wife doesnt drink much so I have me a "Designated driver" for every outing! :D

Otherwise I take a cab. :up:

Glad to hear you got home alrght Bob and that you had an understanding officer. Innocent mistakes are made all the time.

It's those brandies mate will get you all the time! Now where is my Jagermeister!:ROTF:

OldChap
06-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Put Jagermeister in a medicine bottle and the cops would think you're only taking a prescription....aquired taste?

emuexport
06-21-2009, 04:33 AM
Put Jagermeister in a medicine bottle and the cops would think you're only taking a perscription....aquired taste?

In the realm of Ouzo and Gold-Schlager! I guess but good memories from the Austrian ski slopes!

123bob
06-21-2009, 04:57 AM
Hehe, I can't even look a few things in the face. Ouzo, Jager and Yukon Jack are on that list....

I'm just glad I'm the only one kicking me in the azz this morning.....too bad I wear size 12-wide US / 46 Euro though....It sure leaves a mark.....:rofl:

Label me "on-the-wagon" for a bit. Maybe I can scrape some bucks together from the savings for an i7 rig....:up:

Bob

haschioz
06-21-2009, 05:05 AM
jägermeister is the best drink ever. but needs to be ice cold (freezer) for best taste.

loonym
06-21-2009, 05:26 AM
I gave up driving for 20+ years so I could drink although I did have a couple slips in there. ;)

[XC] serlv
06-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Wow, you're lucky he let you go, Bob. :up:

I don't drink at all anymore; been close to 23 years.

One time, well over 25 years ago, I got a DUI after leaving the bar at the Golden Nugget after work. So, from that point forward, if I had one or less then it was ok to drive. Anything more than one and I would not get behind the wheel. Never got another once I made that decision.

shadowwind
06-21-2009, 05:48 AM
you got lucky i dont drink and drive i love my freedom to leave the house when i want to,picture this you want to go some where and wife needs to drive you
you get in the car then the wife starts in :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing at you for losing your license that will be a long 6 months of hell :yepp:

MikeB12
06-21-2009, 05:50 AM
I got a DUI after a frat xmas formal taking my date home in college.. I deserved though, 45mph in a hospital zone at 1am in the morning after keg beer and rumplemintz shots... I went to jail and she got to call one of her friends to pick her up. yay! what a fun night. PLUS, they didn't let me process out until monday morning when the courthouse opened back up.. podunk college town, Nacogdoches TX..

I quit drinking in 97. so it's non issue for me. but as many times as I tempted fate in college, I'm lucky I only have one dui on my record, and no accidents.

you got lucky with that cop, he probably didn't wanna fk with the hassle and paperwork.. and since you were willing to walk home and not a d1ckhead about it, then the cards fell in the right order for you.

Snow Crash
06-21-2009, 06:05 AM
me + booze = insanity. I stopped the madness in 1992 ... very happy guy since.

ShootStraight
06-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Happy Fathers Day, Bob! Glad it turned out well! :up:

-SS

PoppaGeek
06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Bah, I gave up driving! I got my priorities.....:rofl:

Glad no one was hurt. Too many die from drinking and driving that weren't drinking....

:toast:

Movieman
06-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Bob, your one lucky SOB to get off on that in todays world.
I essentiallty stopped drinking back in my 20's except for weddings..:D and let the Mrs drive.
Last wedding I went to I had 7- jack and ginger then this friend of my wifes said "We're going to do B52's, wanna come?" Oh what a mistake that was!:rofl:
I had one, then told the bartender to set up three of them and sucked them down 1.2.3 in like 20 seconds, then had 3 more. I should have known when the bartender said 'You sure?":rofl: but I didn't.
Then went nack to the table andf ordered my 8th Jack and Ginger..When it came I put my hand around the glass and at that minute my mind said 'Oh you don't want to do this"
Was I plastered! Went out of there with my arm over my wifes shoulder..
No one told me there was 3 shots in each of those B52's:shakes:

Duh
06-21-2009, 03:59 PM
@bob: very lucky dude. Once we were getting back from Yosemite in my uncleīs car and he was driving at something like 180 km/h. After those sprints he slowed down quite a lot ( as he thought it would be more safe and so on). While we were at Sonoma he told me: :banana::banana::banana::banana: there was a cop close to the street in the other lane. The cop made a Uturn and chased us ( even though we were not trying to escape or something like that) I canīt understand how he came to were we were at such speed ( he was using one of those with vans).

We were something like 10mph ( I canīt recall as I dont use miles, just kmh). The cop went off the car and said: Good afternoon ( in a very pleasent way). After that:"Sir you were speeding". My uncle told me that he has a very big respect for cops authority and accepted he :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed it up. After that the office made him the infraction. He drove pissed off the rest of the way back to San Jose.

@MM: you Irish bastagge aint telling that anecdote in which you swapped wifes due to alcohol :O :P

I donīt drive ( I dont have a car and dont have a driving license). Apart from that I dont drink except for bdays, weddings and xmas..

Have to go and continue studying ( I have an exam for which ive been studying a month and a half and I am scared to sh...)

Take care guys and drive sobber. I will miss you tomorrow ( even when I am sweating to be examined)

Blauhung
06-22-2009, 01:40 PM
My wife just found this lesson out the hard way. The two of us had gone out for some drinks with a friend of hers. I had to work early for a change so I took off about 10pm and they hung out later. Her friend was waaaayyy too drunk to drive so my wife took the wheel when she shouldn't have either and was pulled over due to bad directions from the drunkey in the passenger seat causing her to swerve onto an off ramp.

$2000 and 80 hours of community service later, and now I have to drive her everywhere.
If only she had called me....

WrigleyVillain
06-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Glad it worked out ok Bob. While I am on the wagon myself indefinitely now I certainly would have had a DUI myself if I didn't live in the city and had to drive to go out and do things.

eBoy0
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM
You are lucky, in Illinois, they implementing THIS
http://www.wndu.com/nationworldnews/headlines/36916009.html

New Illinois law requires in-car breathalyzer tests
Illinois motorists charged with first-time drunken driving offenses will have to do the same thing Cedric Benson will have to do -- blow into a Breathalyzer before starting their cars.

WrigleyVillain
06-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I hate Big Brother as much as the next guy but that I am all for.

[XC] gomeler
06-22-2009, 02:16 PM
This is why I live within stumbling distance of a few bars. Best thing, I'm moving closer! :D

123bob
06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
gomeler;3864527']This is why I live within stumbling distance of a few bars. Best thing, I'm moving closer! :D

Hehe, now stumbling distance got increased to just under one mile for me...even if I'm not stumbling. I won't take the chance again...walking is good for you anyway. :up:

Movieman
06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Hehe, now stumbling distance got increased to just under one mile for me...even if I'm not stumbling. I won't take the chance again...walking is good for you anyway. :up:

It's a lesson learned and in your case you lucked out..
Even one drink today you can get DUI ..

123bob
06-22-2009, 11:15 PM
One of our Legion members is the Police Chief of a nearby town, was the Police Chief of this town, and I had a chat with him tonight. (....and no, that's not what saved my butt on the DUI stop. In fact, trying to pull that string would likely have gotten me busted for sure...) I had to tell him that I had NO CLUE what .08 BAC felt like. It would seem that they have some gizmos now that they use to demo what the various levels look like. Some kind of headset you wear. We're going to have an "awareness" night at the legion so everyone interested can find out.

So out of a possible bad thing, good can result.....

Bob

Duh
06-23-2009, 08:11 AM
bob your post is a real lesson! Not only what you have learnt but the way you didnīt lie and didnīt use your contacts ( here it would have worked like pie, its the real deal actually :( ).

Iīve found something about .08 BAC:
http://www.1800duilaws.com/article/what_is_08_bac.asp

Is it useful?

EDIT:OT: yesterday I shuit down my computer as I got to sleep at 3 am and I felt as if I didnt sleep since 3 months ago.. my comp noise is a killer.. thanks to jcool I am going to make it dead silent..

STEvil
06-23-2009, 04:58 PM
One of our Legion members is the Police Chief of a nearby town, was the Police Chief of this town, and I had a chat with him tonight. (....and no, that's not what saved my butt on the DUI stop. In fact, trying to pull that string would likely have gotten me busted for sure...) I had to tell him that I had NO CLUE what .08 BAC felt like. It would seem that they have some gizmos now that they use to demo what the various levels look like. Some kind of headset you wear. We're going to have an "awareness" night at the legion so everyone interested can find out.

So out of a possible bad thing, good can result.....

Bob

.08 is nothing... like 3 beers in 30 minutes or something.

I dont like the system but its there for a reason... and i'm not even a drinker!