PDA

View Full Version : Mac 24 inch HD display questions

Jeffersonian
06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
How could I make sure I get an earlier production run of the 24 inch one (not used, not refurbished)?

Where could I find one that's an older production run?

When did the latest production run start?

Yes, I know that may sound like a odd question, but I absolutely cannot have the latest production run.

Also, what nvidia GPUs are there to buy to flash so the Mac 24 inch could work with a PC?

WrigleyVillain
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Um...whats the issue with the latest run?

Jeffersonian
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Um...whats the issue with the latest run?
Don't worry about that.

I need all of the questions I asked in the 1st post of this thread answered very quickly. I'll appreciate it.

Jeffersonian
06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I'll contact the vendor, but is there anyway I could use it on a PC through flashing a Mac GPU's BIOS?

I was thinking about the economy when I said that the newest production run would have problems, but then it occured to me that Apple would be different than the majority. That is, while the majority is making crappier products, IMO, Apple would be making better products. There is more to it than that, but you'll figure out what I mean=)

Qkjhfhaiguihfma
06-21-2009, 08:57 AM
no one is making crappier products because of the economy, and i think they work on PCs without modification.

Jeffersonian
06-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks; I'm waiting for it to come as well as the mini dp-HDMI adaptor and HDMI cable from monoprice.

[XC] gomeler
06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I'll contact the vendor, but is there anyway I could use it on a PC through flashing a Mac GPU's BIOS?

I was thinking about the economy when I said that the newest production run would have problems, but then it occured to me that Apple would be different than the majority. That is, while the majority is making crappier products, IMO, Apple would be making better products. There is more to it than that, but you'll figure out what I mean=)

:rofl: Take a look at the 13.3" Macbook Pro cluster:banana::banana::banana::banana:. The chipset is only routed to support SATAI so all the 13.3" MBP owners that bought an SSD are screwed. Just because Apple has built up a following of enamored followers and charges 30% more than the competition doesn't mean their products are made better. If you need further evidence of this, read about the original Macbook Airs that could not be run at fullspeed due to the processor overheating. Rather than spec it with a slower processor and permit it to run full-time, Apple in software causes one core to shutdown, reducing performance by half. Pick your Apple products wisely.

and the 24" Cinema displays are old-tech IIRC, using an older panel :shrug:

Jeffersonian
06-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Could you explain what you meant by your last sentence?

[XC] gomeler
06-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Last time I checked, the Apple 24" Cinema Display was using an old PVA panel from 2007 I believe. I don't know of they've updated them yet. Regardless, Dell makes a superior chassis and mount at a cheaper price.

Jeffersonian
06-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I thought they used H-IPS with LED backlight.

zanzabar
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM
@ the OP, if u want a specific run look at frys and find the product code that u want.

unless its a display port monitor it will work on anything dvi dose not allow have a monitor to only be used on a specific part unless its an unsupported resolution on the output device there is no way it wont work

for the gpu im a bit of an antiNV fan but apple recommends the 4870 and CS4 windows works better on the HD3/4 than the gt200 and there is no price point right now that NV leads and they dont have the overall performance crown. u also cant run some workstation and rendering apps on geforce but u can on all ati cards and its an easy ID flash to convert them to a fireGL

EnJoY
06-27-2009, 06:46 PM
gomeler;3867639']Last time I checked, the Apple 24" Cinema Display was using an old PVA panel from 2007 I believe. I don't know of they've updated them yet. Regardless, Dell makes a superior chassis and mount at a cheaper price.
Not sure where you got this info from Gom, but it's false.

I thought they used H-IPS with LED backlight.
This is correct.

Generic user #2
06-27-2009, 10:26 PM
is it possible that everyone here is talking about different products?

theres the OLD cinema display(with the silver/white bezel) and the NEW cinema display(with the edge-to-edge glass and a black chrome)