PDA

View Full Version : Performance/noise ratio between MCP355 and MCP350

Bladesinger7x
06-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Is extra performance of the DDC 3.2 worth the increase of
noise compared to the DDC3.1. This is with Rev.2 EK X-TOP.

System specs are in signature.
The rest of the loop is:

MCR320 (w. Zalman F3 fans)
HeatKiller Rev.3 LC
EK VGA-Wave core block
no res - just a T-line

Until now I have been using the old (DDC-1) MCP350 with
Alphacool top and it has been almost silent. I sold this
pump recently and will buy a new one in a couple of days.

rioja
06-16-2009, 04:08 AM
what's your delta water-air?

Bladesinger7x
06-16-2009, 04:29 AM
Well, the loop listed in my previous post is still in
the original boxes. I mus complete the case I am
building before anything can be installed.

Currently I am running on air. My previous loop
was different (EK-Wave, VGA-Wave,DDC-1 + MCR220).

SNiiPE_DoGG
06-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Honestly I have never been able to hear any of my DDC3.2's above the noise of a single 800rpm fan :shrug: you just got isolate the vibration from the case

dingdong555
06-16-2009, 05:12 AM
Honestly I have never been able to hear any of my DDC3.2's above the noise of a single 800rpm fan :shrug: you just got isolate the vibration from the case

Same here.

I'm young so my hearing is quite good (I hope) and I can NOT hear my pump at all.

MpG
06-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Ditto. The biggest mistake a lot of people make as underestimating exactly how important isolation is. Quite often, the scrawny piece of foam just doesn't cut it. Don't even bolt the pump down if possible - let the tubing keep the pump from moving.

Sy[N]tH
06-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Ditto. The biggest mistake a lot of people make as underestimating exactly how important isolation is. Quite often, the scrawny piece of foam just doesn't cut it. Don't even bolt the pump down if possible - let the tubing keep the pump from moving.

Agreed. Only bolt it down if you intend on installing the pump on its sides, or upside down.

Froggy
06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Have you considered 2-DDC3.1's?

You get safety through redundancy, the same power draw so heat dump is the same, better pressure & flow in your loop.

And you still retain a very quiet set-up.

Erasmus354
06-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Same here.

I'm young so my hearing is quite good (I hope) and I can NOT hear my pump at all.

Some people are more sensitive than others. I can hear my D5 on any setting and it is well isolated from the case, inside of a P180 probably one of the best cases for noise. It isn't noisy mind you, but I can hear it.

Chruschef
06-16-2009, 08:25 AM
isolate vibration + delrin top(not acrylic) = silence

voigts
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM
This is very subjective and really depends on your sensitivity to noise and pitch. I compared the older DDC1 (now 3.1) and DDC2 (now 3.2) side by side with stock tops a while back and found the DDC2 to be noticeably louder and higher pitched. I have my pump sitting on memory foam unmounted to the case so it is completely isolated.

I would say to use an estimator and get an idea of what your flow is going to be. Most setups aren't going to benefit measurably from the slight difference in flow generated between the DDC3.1 and the DDC3.2. The noise difference is noticeable to me, especially since the 3.2 not only is a bit louder, it emits a higher pitched sound.

I did the same comparison with a D5 and that pump for me is simply too loud. I can hear it clearly over any DDC. I have my system quiet enough that it is at a whisper level, and the loudest thing by far are the hard drives when they spin up.

Nightstar
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Soft hoses and flexible mounting is the key to silent pumping. I've never tried the MCP355 but I've heard they are pretty quiet. I do have dual MCP350s in series, 4 years of silent reliable cooling.