PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream watercooling.........

libertate
08-08-2002, 10:00 AM
I just had an idea today that would work nicely on
a rig with a bong and a large reservoir........

If you've ever made ice cream, with ice and rock salt,
you know how cold the melted ice is and also, you've seen
the thick frost that forms on the outside of the container...

If you don't know what I'm talking about, just get a few bags
of ice and rock salt and layer ice/salt in a large container.....

Anyway, I know sometimes peeps with bongs and external
reservoirs put ice water in their reservoir to drop temps for
about an hour or so, just to run benchies, etc.....

Well, it would be cool if someone ran a test using rock salt
and ice instead, to see how long the effect lasted, and
how low the liquid temps got.......

just an idea, maybe no good....:stick:

sjohnson
08-08-2002, 11:06 AM
Salt brine is highly corrosive. A similar effect could be had using an alchohol/water mix. And, you could throw a "reservoir party" after the run :toast:

DoGMaN
08-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Making a salt bring and adding ice to it will automatically drop the liquid temp to -18 Deg C :D . So in theory this would work. However your pump would die pumping saltwater in no time. You'd have to buy a pump from a saltwater aquarium.

And as sjohnson said:

Salt brine is highly corrosive
This would really hurt your waterblock.

What to do would be build a res inside a res. Use your standard water in one res and use the saltwater res to chill the water. Would it work? Dunno try it and see. :D

libertate
08-08-2002, 11:15 AM
Good idea DogMan :D

maybe I'll try that.....

DoGMaN
08-08-2002, 11:21 AM
I'm not 100% sure on the -18 it could be -10 I can't remember, it was a long time ago. Maybe I'll try it see what happens. My Spir@l leaked on the weekend and I lost my AthlonXP system. I'm still waiting for my new sys to show up. If I have time on the weekend I'll set something up.

P.S.
Let me know how it works out for you.

libertate
08-08-2002, 11:28 AM
K

DoGMaN
08-08-2002, 11:32 AM
I just did a quick and dirty little test. Put some salt in a bowl of water then through in some ice. Almost instantly it dropped to -2 Deg C. I'm gonna leave it for 15-20 mins and see what happens.

libertate
08-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Sweet d00d.....

I don't have my WC rig put together yet, but I'm going
to do some salt brine testing with it once I get all the parts
in a few weeks.... :cool:

DoGMaN
08-08-2002, 12:24 PM
K after like 45 mins its down to -9 deg C. It seems to have bottomed out there. I don't know if there is any relationship to amount of salt in the brine to temps, but I'll find out. Having -9 deg water would be pretty nice though.

libertate
08-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I'd settle for -9 C :)

You might want to try some rock salt out....

sc00p
06-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Excellent idea... it's getting hot in herre... would be nice to get spoonful of ice cream while playing/folding :p:

parth
06-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Guys, don't forget about condensation. Even slightly below ambient can get water condensing on the surface of your tubes or on you waterblock, which can cause havoc if it reaches anything electronic.

[cTx] Nooc
06-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Excellent idea... it's getting hot in herre... would be nice to get spoonful of ice cream while playing/folding :p:

ice cubes in your bong will not provide for a smoother smoke; more water will. It might be hard to pull but if you've got a nice wide slide you're good to go :up:

wdrzal
06-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Use a Heat Exchanger so your pump ,pumps a anti-freeze mix and dose not Touch the brine mix.

flutie98
06-26-2007, 05:01 AM
yep did this a few years ago, just dropped the rad in a cooler of ice and layered salt, water temp down to ~0 which made for some fun OCing back in the day

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/flutie98/IMG_0538.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/flutie98/IMG_0537.jpg

ranker
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
yep did this a few years ago, just dropped the rad in a cooler of ice and layered salt, water temp down to ~0 which made for some fun OCing back in the day

LOL. You sir are xtreme! I love it.

cool_dude
06-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice - so just Ice & Salt?

Kinda confused, would you take out the ice & salt when its turned into water? Or does it go to approx -5c when it is a liquid?

Thinking of trying this!

ranker
06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Nice - so just Ice & Salt?

Kinda confused, would you take out the ice & salt when its turned into water? Or does it go to approx -5c when it is a liquid?

Thinking of trying this!

Adding salt to freezing water lowers the temperature at which the
solution will freeze. In other words, adding salt to ice may make the
ice melt not because the salt raises the temperature but rather
because a new solution is formed that has a lower freezing point.

Anyhow, the end result in layman terms is "stuff gets colder". The liquid should still be super chilled.

cool_dude
06-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Right so what way...

1) Get a bowl, pour ice in, cover in salt.
2) Get a bowl, fill with water, pour ice in, cover in salt.

what one?? Or am I totally off track? :shrug:

Pete
06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Have the water your using the loop seperat form the water/ice/rock salt used to cool it all as it won't hard any of your kit then!

Humm maybe mix something to stop the water from frezzing in your loop and dry ice!

-70c water cooling

Turtle 1
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I like your thinking . Here is something a little less gheto but still gheto . Try dry ice . The results might interest you

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_49730_-1

ranker
06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Right so what way...

1) Get a bowl, pour ice in, cover in salt.
2) Get a bowl, fill with water, pour ice in, cover in salt.

what one?? Or am I totally off track? :shrug:

Either, but option 2 will submerse the radiator which would be better as you're getting full contact all the way around for maximum heat dissipation.

flutie98
06-26-2007, 06:11 PM
I like your thinking . Here is something a little less gheto but still gheto . Try dry ice . The results might interest you

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_49730_-1

at a 100 bux i think ill pass, and make my own

when i wanted to try dry ice on my cpu i just brazed together a 4 dollar copper tube from lowes and a end cap, all of my cooling solutions have never been elegant or worked better than any of the more elaborate stuff guys make here but its always been cheap :D

also a small warning, salt water sitting in your rad for long periods of time builds up some nasty residue that has never gone away with tough cleaning.... best to use a crap heatercore you wont mind throwing away

sc00p
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
ice cubes in your bong will not provide for a smoother smoke; more water will. What! I've heard otherwise... it would give a smoother run :shrug: :D

Use a Heat Exchanger so your pump ,pumps a anti-freeze mix and dose not Touch the brine mix.Well... ice cream on bowl and water for the loop "hugging" outside the bowl, chilling there along cooling goods (=pc) and me scooping the ice cream :)

kevinbo03
06-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Now I understand how the Ice+Salt would theoretically sound like a good idea, But how and why is the bong involved?

(Inspiration?)

I could begin bong-related discussion from below this line, But I'll refrain.

Cut here:

sc00p
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
I could begin bong-related discussion from below this line, But I'll refrain.
Much wiser :D

kevinbo03
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Any salt with water will cause an endothermic reaction. So this is an interesting idea.

And yes, ice in the bong makes it much much smoother.

Goodness, it's tempting to join in.

I'll refrain... for now.

ColonelCain
06-27-2007, 09:13 PM
They are refering to using the a watercooling bong. This would probably yield even lower temps, due to the mechanics involved.

[cTx] Nooc
06-27-2007, 09:18 PM
They are refering to using the a watercooling bong. This would probably yield even lower temps, due to the mechanics involved.

:rolleyes:

anyone try to disprove me on anything when it comes to bongs, I'm the Official XS BongMaster :yepp

By the time the smoke rises in the chamber, it's already room temperature, no matter how hot or cold it was started out with. since water absorbs the smoke but not the precious THC, pulling it through more water will result in a smoother smoke, and no less THC.

It's a common myth.

sc00p
06-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah yea... if it's going to be too serious... there's actually few threads of... haven't read everyone, but this was one of the best IIRC: n00b of l337's bong designs (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78543)...

Solarfall
06-28-2007, 04:38 AM
out of curiosity i decided to try this salt & ice mixture today.. and bloody hell it did work quite nicely.
after 30min the temps were -8c /-9c...... awesome :D

GameGuru
06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
out of curiosity i decided to try this salt & ice mixture today.. and bloody hell it did work quite nicely.

And exactly how or what method did you take to do it?
Just curious, thanks.

cool_dude
06-28-2007, 01:26 PM
after 30min the temps were -8c /-9c...... awesome :D

Any pics? how you do it? :D TTIUWP comes to mind :p: :p:

Solarfall
06-29-2007, 06:05 AM
And exactly how or what method did you take to do it?
Just curious, thanks.

Any pics? how you do it? :D TTIUWP comes to mind :p: :p:

i took a plastic bowl. little bit water some crushed ice and just regular salt (the one you use for cooking).. the mixture i used was roughly 35%salt 75% ice and water.:D only a experiment sorry no pics this time...

Rabidmoose171
06-29-2007, 07:42 AM
also a small warning, salt water sitting in your rad for long periods of time builds up some nasty residue that has never gone away with tough cleaning.... best to use a crap heatercore you wont mind throwing away

I still have that heatercore sitting in a closet. Its always had white :banana::banana::banana::banana: left on it ever since then. It also tastes funny:rolleyes:

kiikkuja
07-06-2007, 01:06 AM
This was really interesting thread...where's everybody gone? Experiments, pics please.:p:

whoodiestyle
07-06-2007, 01:13 AM
why not just make a huge resovoir and throw frozen distilled ice cubes in there?