PDA

View Full Version : "Everything you need for watercooling" ?

Smartidiot89
06-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Hello happy watercoolers! I have long considered watercooling and are looking at different blocks, radiator, pumps etc...

But before I continue to do researching what is "Everything I need" for a successful watercooling solution that will only involve a CPU?

millertime359
06-12-2009, 06:49 AM
CPU block:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/EK_Supreme1_01.jpg

Rad:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/MCR220-QP-K_01.jpg
I hear those chips don't get too hot, so that rad so work, but can always get a bigger rad.

pump and res:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/XSPC-LAING-RES_02.jpg
That is a XSPC res top on a DDC pump great combo.

And then just tubing, clamps, and fittings.

Smartidiot89
06-12-2009, 08:54 AM
CPU block:
Rad:

pump and res:
That is a XSPC res top on a DDC pump great combo.

And then just tubing, clamps, and fittings.
Thanks mate thats pretty much what I was thinking.

I have looked around and found some stuff but it seems expensive so I am going on a LOOOONG shopping trip to find some used quality stuff for sale:up:

millertime359
06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks mate thats pretty much what I was thinking.

I have looked around and found some stuff but it seems expensive so I am going on a LOOOONG shopping trip to find some used quality stuff for sale:up:

Good man. Good luck to you :up:

faster3200
06-12-2009, 09:00 AM
I would add biocide to that list.

millertime359
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks faster, knew I forgot something :doh:

Adamantine
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Get Primochill Pro LRT and it won't be needed.

millertime359
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Get Primochill Pro LRT and it won't be needed.

They say the biocide is only for the tubes. They recommend an additive themselves.

Silver probably your best bet with some distilled water :up:

Rise
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
heh, don't forget fans to cool the liquid traversing that radiator. 120mm fans, to be exact!

moiraesfate
06-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Just get silver killcoils, not biocide. Biocide is chemicals and may be toxic. Silver killcoils are just pieces of silver. The only danger from killcoils is in swallowing them (not recommended).

kinghong1970
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
bah, just go sneak into your GF's / Wife's / Mother's jewelry case and go get a silver earring or pendant...

:D

Shlomo
06-12-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.chemistryland.com/CHM107Lab/Exp10_pHindicator/Lab/DistilledWater.jpg

Don't forget the most important thing :-p

defect9
06-12-2009, 12:32 PM
I thought the most important thing was a camera to take pictures?

damunk
06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Isn't this the most important thing?
http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/toiletpaper.jpg

Shlomo
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Isn't this the most important thing?
http://blogs.menupages.com/southflorida/toiletpaper.jpg

depends on if you use the bathroom while assembling or not

faster3200
06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Just get silver killcoils, not biocide. Biocide is chemicals and may be toxic. Silver killcoils are just pieces of silver. The only danger from killcoils is in swallowing them (not recommended).

A biocide is something that kills bacteria e.g. silver.

Adamantine
06-12-2009, 02:19 PM
They say the biocide is only for the tubes. They recommend an additive themselves.
Really? Where? It's definitely not on this page which would be the most important page to list it on.

http://www.primochill.com/primoflex-pro-lrt-black-tubing-7-16in-id-x-5-8in-od.html

PrimoFlex Pro LRT is designed and manufactured to exacting standards for today’s high performance PC water cooling systems. Low Radius Technology allows for tighter bends without the kinking that can cause cooling failures or reduce performance. Our special Anti-Microbial formula helps keep your cooling loop pristine—which keeps flow rates up, reduces maintenance, and just flat out looks better.

PrimoFlex Pro LRT wouldn’t be the choice of pro modders and high performance water coolers if it also didn’t have killer looks and excellent sub zero performance. Available in an ever increasing range of UV colors as well as Clear, PrimoFlex Pro LRT stays flexible even when subjected to the lowest temperatures.

Our proprietary blend of extremely low durometer PVC (polyvinyl chloride) and a more rigid polymer resin gives PrimoFlex Pro LRT its unbeatable bend ratio and durability. Even under exacting laboratory set-ups with abrupt small radius bends and multiple direction changes, PrimoFlex PRO LRT tubing resists twisting and collapse—a common problem when using other lesser brands.

PrimoFlex Pro LRT – Choice of the Pros, because everything else is just tubing.

This 7/16" Inner Diameter (11.112 mm), 5/8" Outer Diameter (15.875 mm) tubing has a wall thickness of only 3/32 inch (2.381 mm). Price is per foot.

Specifications:

* LRT (Low Radius Technology) - Patent Pending
* Performs well at low temperatures
* Anti-Microbial
* Inner Diameter --7/16"(11.112 mm)
* Outer Diameter – 5/8"(15.875 mm)
* Smooth low friction inner bore
* Tack free outer surface
* Zero Print—No unsightly printing!
* Manufactured and Distributed in the USA

Typical Applications

* Computer Water Cooling Lines
* General laboratory
* Analytical instruments
* Peristaltic pumps
* Vent and drain lines

Note: Please be sure this tubing is appropriate for your application, once the tubing is cut we do not accept returns on this product

shazza
06-12-2009, 02:26 PM
If you're planning on cooling the PII 720, you can save some money by getting a cheaper water block. The Swiftech Apogee GT or one of the Danger Den blocks should work fine. Just make sure you get one that has mounting for the AM2 or AM2+ sockets - these will also work with AM3.

Another option is just to go for the Swiftech Ultima water kit ... might be a bit more than you want to spend, but it has everything you need (think you have to request the AMD mount for the GTZ).

hellcamino
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I picked up an XSPC Delta V3 for my PH II 955, it worked well with the universal mount it came with but works even better with the bottom step ground off and re-lapped.

millertime359
06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Really? Where? It's definitely not on this page which would be the most important page to list it on.

http://www.primochill.com/primoflex-pro-lrt-black-tubing-7-16in-id-x-5-8in-od.html

It was in an e-mail, that was on S_D's post about feser 1 blue going clear.

Primochill / anti-microbial

Just to clarify the Primochill LT question...

This is Primochill's response to my question regarding the LT tubing:

Our tubing is manufactured with a special blend of anti-microbial agents that help keep bacteria from forming on the tube. The tube does not release anti-bacterial agents into the system. Extra protection is recommended. Our Liquid Utopia Protective Fluid is formulated with the same anti-microbial as the tubing so using this would be your best solution.

Best Regards,

Brian
Customer Support

Smartidiot89
06-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Biocide? Silver? Is that for insulation or should I mix it together with distilled water to kill of any bacteria that could come around?

Also when looking at radiators, does brand matter or can I just pick a random 2x120mm/3x120mm one?

Definatly got some very good ideas in this thread - seems to be the most active forum cathegory in XS? :p:

kinghong1970
06-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Smart, Biocide or Silver is to prevent algae growth in your coolant. you mix it with Distilled Water or in case of Silver, just insert it in your loop where it will not go into your pump or anything...

as for radiator, well, you really have to consider both radiator and fan together...
Silent + Cooling = Thermochill PA 120.3 + Yate Loons
Silent + Cooling + Bang for Buck = MCR320 series with some yate loons...
LOUD + LOTS A COOLING = San Ace or any one of those jet engines + HWLabs BIX GTX series...

each radiator also affects your flow as well... BIX being most restrictive, followed by MCR series and then the PA...

alternatives to the PA120.3 is RX360 or the Feser series rads.

faster3200
06-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Biocide? Silver? Is that for insulation or should I mix it together with distilled water to kill of any bacteria that could come around?

The biocide is to kill any bacteria or microbes that might want to live in your loop. The most common biocides are silver and PT Nuke. Silver you can just put and ingot or bit of in your res and it will leech ions to the water which will kill bacteria. You can also get a few (true) silver barbs that will do the same thing. PT Nuke you just add a few drops of (read the directions carefully) to your water and you are done.

Also when looking at radiators, does brand matter or can I just pick a random 2x120mm/3x120mm one?

Yes, yes, yes! I highly suggest you read up on this. Every rad is designed differently and has its strengths and weaknesses.

The most commonly used are:

Swiftech MCR (thin rads with good price/performance)
XSPC RX (For low RPM fans)
Thermochill PA (these are changing)
Feser (For low RPM fans)
HW Labs Black Ice Xtreme (High RPM fans)

Smartidiot89
06-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Smart, Biocide or Silver is to prevent algae growth in your coolant. you mix it with Distilled Water or in case of Silver, just insert it in your loop where it will not go into your pump or anything...

as for radiator, well, you really have to consider both radiator and fan together...
Silent + Cooling = Thermochill PA 120.3 + Yate Loons
Silent + Cooling + Bang for Buck = MCR320 series with some yate loons...
LOUD + LOTS A COOLING = San Ace or any one of those jet engines + HWLabs BIX GTX series...

each radiator also affects your flow as well... BIX being most restrictive, followed by MCR series and then the PA...

alternatives to the PA120.3 is RX360 or the Feser series rads.
Yeah I checked up Biocide and Silver for water - I feel dumb now :cool:

This one really looks like a "bang-for-the-buck" product a 3x120mm rad with 3 Yate-Loons: http://www.petrastechshop.com/ptsulracomce.html

Silence will be a priority if I decide to build a watercooled system.

But to summarize this is all I need for watercooling:
CPU-Block - Any suggestions?
Radiator - XSPC RX / Feser for low-RPM fans. Swiftech MCR for price/performance.
Fans
Pump
Reservoir - e-peen, or actually needed?
Distilled Water
Biocide/Silver - which one is to prefer for a longevity watercooled system?
Tubing+Clamps - Does the size of the tubing matter?

Shlomo
06-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I mean, I guess you can't beat the longevity of silver. A few grams of silver will last you your lifetime. But for a single loop longevity, biocide and silver will both work forever. If your loop goes unattended for 3 years, both biocide and silver will keep it algae free... but your rads will be caked with dust of course haha

Smartidiot89
06-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I mean, I guess you can't beat the longevity of silver. A few grams of silver will last you your lifetime. But for a single loop longevity, biocide and silver will both work forever. If your loop goes unattended for 3 years, both biocide and silver will keep it algae free... but your rads will be caked with dust of course haha
Sweet:up: Haha I've seen funny pics of dusty radiators, but dusting your PC is mandatory always:D

important tool to WC'ers
http://jjgeisler.com/reeftank/images/projects/syringe_fill.jpg

to fill or suck up spilled fluids(minus the backflo-valve)
Thanks for the tip:up:

MomijiTMO
06-14-2009, 06:46 AM
This made me laugh really loud. . . :up:

Smartidiot89
06-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I have found a guy in my town who is willing to sell me 2 pieces of WC products for a small amount of cash:

Swiftech Storm G4 1/2" tubing with AM2 mounting kit - How well does this block fare compared to newer ones out there? Not sure if it's Rev.1 or Rev.2 I sent a PM and waiting for answear..
Black Ice Pro 120mm Radiator - Good/Bad? A 120x120mm + 240x120mm sounds perfect for my planned build in my case.

Scetch here, so far I've decided the radiators will be put there, not sure about the rest yet.
http://pici.se/pictures/nBKaXoeQn.jpg